BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-16-2021, 09:34 AM   #1
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

New battery issues

Ive been working on the car and keeping it in the garage for the past several months. the battery was 5 years old and for some reason I neglected to put it on the charger until it was to late and the voltage went down to almost nothing. so I replaced the battery with a new OEM style replacement.

I have not registered the new battery yet.

I've lost comfort access and my charger now reads "bad battery, charging aborted" The car starts with the key fob inserted and runs and drives as usual and when I checked the volts with my multi meter it was reading around 12.6 volts while the car was not running. My charger is also of the cheaper varieties but it also works as it should on my other cars.

does the "bad Battery" have something to do with the registration? and after I register it will I be able to retrieve the comfort access options?

I appreciate your feedback

Mark
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Ive been working on the car and keeping it in the garage for the past several months. the battery was 5 years old and for some reason I neglected to put it on the charger until it was to late and the voltage went down to almost nothing. so I replaced the battery with a new OEM style replacement.

I've lost comfort access and my charger now reads "bad battery, charging aborted" The car starts with the key fob inserted and runs and drives as usual and when I checked the volts with my multi meter it was reading around 12.6 volts while the car was not running. My charger is also of the cheaper varieties but it also works as it should on my other cars.

does the "bad Battery" have something to do with the registration? and after I register it will I be able to retrieve the comfort access options?

Mark
Yes, get the battery registered and give it a few on off cycles to reset and return to operating normally. Just as a precation, I'd pick up a chanrger/tender that can correctly charge/maintain the AGM battery in our cars. I have the CTEK 7002
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
Quote:

Mark
Yes, get the battery registered and give it a few on off cycles to reset and return to operating normally. Just as a precation, I'd pick up a chanrger/tender that can correctly charge/maintain the AGM battery in our cars. I have the CTEK 7002
That's what I figured. I'll look into a new charger as well.

Appreciate it.
Appreciate 1
Hagasan41266.00
      08-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mark

Appreciate it.
My fully charged AGM battery reads about 13.25V or sometimes higher. There's a lot of forum battery threads but in my experience batteries with voltage below 12.4V start to cause glitches and the car starts to throw odd codes. When you're not driving it keep it on the tender. The E9X series cars are like rolling cyborgs with numerous ECUs. The new battery amperage needs to be properly registered so the alternator can charge it properly unless it's specifications are identical to the previous battery.
Attached Images

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mark

Appreciate it.
My fully charged AGM battery reads about 13.25V or sometimes higher. There's a lot of forum battery threads but in my experience batteries with voltage below 12.4V start to cause glitches and the car starts to throw odd codes. When you're not driving it keep it on the tender. The E9X series cars are like rolling cyborgs with numerous ECUs. The new battery amperage needs to be properly registered so the alternator can charge it properly unless it's specifications are identical to the previous battery.
Yes sir, I was able to pick up the charger via Amazon prime that the was recommended, took Amazon only 3 hours from the time I ordered it to delivery to my doorstep, so crazy and it's been charging since. Haven't checked voltage yet but in a few hours it read fully charged and was on maintenance charging. After I registered it and "coded" through Carly app everything is back to normal with the car.

What a relief. It's been 4 months since I've driven it and I'm going through withdrawals now. Time to ring it's neck.

-Mark
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6725.50
      08-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:

Good info and to the cyborg reference. BMW's in general seem to throw tantrums when they detect low voltage. On another note, what is that around your power steering reservoir? Could be the photo but it looks like you're cloning Yoda. LOL

Quote:
Yes sir, I was able to pick up the charger via Amazon prime that the was recommended, took Amazon only 3 hours from the time I ordered it to delivery to my doorstep, so crazy and it's been charging since. Haven't checked voltage yet but in a few hours it read fully charged and was on maintenance charging. After I registered it and "coded" through Carly app everything is back to normal with the car.

What a relief. It's been 4 months since I've driven it and I'm going through withdrawals now. Time to ring it's neck.

-Mark
Gotta love Amazon in FL!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Quote:

Good info and to the cyborg reference. BMW's in general seem to throw tantrums when they detect low voltage. On another note, what is that around your power steering reservoir? Could be the photo but it looks like you're cloning Yoda. LOL

Quote:

-Mark
Gotta love Amazon in FL!
Around my power steering fluid reservoir is one of those towel material disposable hospital socks with the toe end cut off. It's similar to an athletic sock or tennis wrist band. It's done to absorb the excess fluid that sometimes leaks from the hole vent in the reservoir cap. This can happen in higher ambient temperatures or with cavitation of the fluid. Well spotted.
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 3
      08-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

Quote:
Around my power steering fluid reservoir is one of those towel material disposable hospital socks with the toe end cut off. It's similar to an athletic sock or tennis wrist band. It's done to absorb the excess fluid that sometimes leaks from the hole vent in the reservoir cap. This can happen in higher ambient temperatures or with cavitation of the fluid. Well spotted.
Nice idea! That damn reservoir is the only thing under my hood that will not stay clean, lol! Every time I open the hood it has a snail trail running from the cap. I need to do something like this or run a tube from the vent.
      08-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #9
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

1. Don't go 4 months without using your M unless you completely disconnect the battery.
2. Use a trickle charger if you're more of a every week or every other week use person.
3. Registering a new battery is a must, and don't use Carly. If not, you'll get increased discharged CELs and it could affect the electronics in your M.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBimmer2011 View Post
1. Don't go 4 months without using your M unless you completely disconnect the battery.
2. Use a trickle charger if you're more of a every week or every other week use person.
3. Registering a new battery is a must, and don't use Carly. If not, you'll get increased discharged CELs and it could affect the electronics in your M.
Has anyone proven that registering batteries with Carly can damage electronics?

How could they trace it back to the battery registration?

My car has 50k miles and had an OEM battery installed by BMW 5 years ago and I had plenty of electronic components fail. I feel like BMW electronics are just fail happy and to sensitive to blame it on anything other than that. But I'm open and interested in facts.

Not trying to argue. Just curious.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Quote:

My car has 50k miles and had an OEM battery installed by BMW 5 years ago and I had plenty of electronic components fail. I feel like BMW electronics are just fail happy and to sensitive to blame it on anything other than that. But I'm open and interested in facts.

-Mark
Carly doesn't actually register the battery. There's quite a few posts around here regarding that. You'll need a real diagnostic tool like Autel, Foxwell, and Schwaben.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #12
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-Mark
Carly doesn't actually register the battery. There's quite a few posts around here regarding that. You'll need a real diagnostic tool like Autel, Foxwell, and Schwaben.
Good call. I have a foxwell that I totally forgot that it can register the battery.
Appreciate 0