BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

EXXEL Distributions

08-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMDUBS

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
|DL Photography|: Torch Red Ford Mustang

Recently had a quick photo shoot with my friend's torch red ford mustang. Hope you guys like it! Tell me what you think!

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

the shots are solid. technically sound...but boring. course...the fact that it's a stock appearing V6 mustang doesn't help with that at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
the shots are solid. technically sound...but boring. course...the fact that it's a stock appearing V6 mustang doesn't help with that at all.
Thanks for the feedback! I do have to say that I felt that there were boring shots. How could I make the shots more interesting?

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekL View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I do have to say that I felt that there were boring shots. How could I make the shots more interesting?
by not tilting the camera off axis.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
by not tilting the camera off axis.
hahah ya, those were just for fun at first, but I thought they turned out to be pretty good. I usually try not to go off axis though. Thanks!

Anything else?

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Maybe a more interesting background?

Automotive photography is very subjective. Some folks like John Zhang are absolute masters. His shots are always interesting. Yet pointing out exactly what makes them so is not so easy. His skill with lighting and backgrounds and shot angles is incredible. Study his work on this forum and you'll get the idea.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I think that the second, by far, is the best shot. There's some light reflecting off the rear quarter panel and this might be the best perspective of the car. The BG has a few distrations, but it's ok. Too many of the other shots have part of the car really dark and the ones in the sun are just flat.

I'm not sure what focal length you use, but I find that getting out in the 100mm to 200mm range is effective for cars. Get low perspectives and high perspectives. Try the sunlight shots in overcast, etc., etc.
      08-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I like the 4th pic except for the angle. The lighting could be a bit snappier, too. The location is good, it just needs more pop.

Just a quick example (not that this is anything great, but just to show how the lighting can be adjusted).

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
derekL
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 128i  [6.96]
Thanks for all the comments guys! I'll keep them in mind when I do my next shoot!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
TonyTone
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 VERT

Looks great!!
      08-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I think that the second, by far, is the best shot. There's some light reflecting off the rear quarter panel and this might be the best perspective of the car. The BG has a few distrations, but it's ok. Too many of the other shots have part of the car really dark and the ones in the sun are just flat.

I'm not sure what focal length you use, but I find that getting out in the 100mm to 200mm range is effective for cars. Get low perspectives and high perspectives. Try the sunlight shots in overcast, etc., etc.
You and your really long focal lengths Dave

I guess it depends on the situation (e.g. tight spaces, number of cars, backgrounds), but I tend to use focal lengths that are a maximum of 35mm when shooting cars. I'm sure it depends on your style as well... I tend to shoot more often in the wider range.
      08-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Taking the photographs is only half the work. Editing them is a whole different ball game.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Actually this is where I feel most photographers blow it - good photographs start with good composition. Too much focus in the digital age on post processing v. initial composition and capture.