BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

01-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
i dont want my forhead to touch my belly button like with the nexgen.
If my head could go a couple of inches lower...I'd never leave the house!

I think it has something to do with where the tethers are anchored on the restraints? Looks like you sacrifice frontal neck protection with the Rev.

I think you'll come out better with either one of these vs not having it.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:43 PM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
If my head could go a couple of inches lower...I'd never leave the house!

I think it has something to do with where the tethers are anchored on the restraints? Looks like you sacrifice frontal neck protection with the Rev.

I'm gonna stick with hans and work on stretching to reach my junk.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #25
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I'm gonna stick with hans and work on stretching to reach my junk.
      01-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #26
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Or pay for the service like a real gentleman.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #27
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:

Not sure that's true. There was data comparing devices a few years ago, I'll have to see if I still have the table, which showed that these devices can actually magnify forces.

The solution to the lack of lateral protection from the Hans is a halo seat. When it comes to safety equipment you can't go half in… why not just do it right and get the Hans and a halo seat?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
Not sure that's true. There was data comparing devices a few years ago, I'll have to see if I still have the table, which showed that these devices can actually magnify forces.

The solution to the lack of lateral protection from the Hans is a halo seat. When it comes to safety equipment you can't go half in… why not just do it right and get the Hans and a halo seat?
May be what I do once my car is off the street all together. Thought at build time the halo would attract to much attention on the street but found several I absolutely loved the feel of.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #29
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post

Not really feasible since I drive the car on the street.

I call bullsh1t on this all in for safety stuff. Most of us drive street cars that rely on OE designed safety. So we're talking about all of this nice stuff about keeping your head in place but how many of us still have airbags in the car? I know a lot of people (this thread included) are making a compromise somewhere. Because how many have spent on go fast parts before going for the cage, fire system, suit, HANS, and even a battery kill switch? That's right...very few.

So I put a cage in my car. WAIT! Now I can't drive it without a helmet. WAIT! I also need to put my HANS on because I took the airbag out. So how many drive the same car on the track that they drove to the track. If they deck it out with a full array of safety equipment, its no longer safe on the street.

So PLEASE...everyone get off this "safety first, no compromise" high horse. Because very few deserve to ride it.

You know how to be the safe? Don't crash the car in the first place. Its not one thing that goes wrong that results in a crash...its a couple of things topped off with a bad decision. I'll stand by that.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #30
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Not really feasible since I drive the car on the street.

I call bullsh1t on this all in for safety stuff. Most of us drive street cars that rely on OE designed safety. So we're talking about all of this nice stuff about keeping your head in place but how many of us still have airbags in the car? I know a lot of people (this thread included) are making a compromise somewhere. Because how many have spent on go fast parts before going for the cage, fire system, suit, HANS, and even a battery kill switch? That's right...very few.

So I put a cage in my car. WAIT! Now I can't drive it without a helmet. WAIT! I also need to put my HANS on because I took the airbag out. So how many drive the same car on the track that they drove to the track. If they deck it out with a full array of safety equipment, its no longer safe on the street.

So PLEASE...everyone get off this "safety first, no compromise" high horse. Because very few deserve to ride it.

You know how to be the safe? Don't crash the car in the first place. Its not one thing that goes wrong that results in a crash...its a couple of things topped off with a bad decision. I'll stand by that.
+1 I drive my street car to the track and bad. I will not put a halo seat, full cage, take out the airbags and interior, etc. The goal is to bring back the car in the same condition that I took it to the track. I go to DE events, not wheel to wheel racing.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #31
Handy Man
Private
Rep
Drives: Pending

Modern cars with just regular safety equipment are very safe. I have a fully safety equipped race car (Miata) and to be honest I would feel just as safe, if not safer, in my M3 with just a properly installed seat, harness, and gear (helmet, fire suit and HANS)

Modern cars have great rollover protection, crush zones, and cabin intrusion protection. Not to mention the myriad of air bags. I'd be willing to bet that a basic cage in an older car doesn't offer as much rollover protection as modern cars have from the factory. Have you seen the size of A pillars lately?!?

Despite the cage and all the safety gear in most race cars, the cabin intrusion protection is horrible (my Miata has a fiberglass roof and paper thin doors), and since they are almost always home built the risk of fire, brake failure, etc... due to a stupid mistake is huge.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:06 PM   #32
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

I picked up the Hans Sport II to go along with the roll bar and 6pt harness. I'll be trying it out at the end of the month.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #33
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
I picked up the Hans Sport II to go along with the roll bar and 6pt harness. I'll be trying it out at the end of the month.
Yeah buddy. I was comfortable with it first day, little bit hard to turn head for some blend lines is about it.
Appreciate 0