BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #67
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
I think you have to be naive and borderline retarded to think OP's car wasn't abused during this 37 mile "test drive" by some mechanics.

Just left a nasty feedback note. Let's see if the truth sees the light of day.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #68
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post

1. No courtesy wash.

9. NO FUCKING COURTESY WASH!

I think you're onto something. I found a gouge that suddenly appeared after a service/courtesy wash.
However, I'm going let them keep washing my wife's X5. That fricking thing is just too damn big and I hate washing it!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #69
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

I don't understand the sentiment regarding the fact that adding close to 40 miles is acceptable. I agree with the OP. I'd be pissed too if I got my car back from the dealer like that. 40 miles are not needed to check that the problem has been corrected. That's ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #70
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
I don't understand the sentiment regarding the fact that adding close to 40 miles is acceptable. I agree with the OP. I'd be pissed too if I got my car back from the dealer like that. 40 miles are not needed to check that the problem has been corrected. That's ridiculous.
+1, I don't get it either. Of all the diarrhea that appears on the General side worth complaining about, this isn't one of those topics.
      07-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #71
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I feel for you OP. I would be pissed too. 37 miles is A LOT and that's about 30-60 minutes of driving time...not to mention almost 3 gallons of gas YOU bought! As much as it sucks, I would just move on and never go back to the same place.

I think there are many abusive test drives going on everyday that we don't know about. Not just at dealerships but also at restaurant valets. They would beat on anything "sporty" so yea who wouldn't take an M3 for a spin?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #72
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

I normally don't really care if they put miles on as I have a dct so how much can go wring? I beat my car hard already. But when I take it in at 9am with 6k to go on front brakes in I drive and pick it up at 5pm with front brakes showing 20 miles over due, than that raises a red flag. It was 9 miles put on after oil, diff and coolant change. Which I guess could be reasonable. But how you wear 6k worth of brakes down to 20 overdue I can't even imagine it possible . Any ideas? Am I jumping to conclusions? They ended up paying for new front brakes, rotors and pads and I am out of free maintenance so 1200 bucks saved as they were close to needing it. But its the principle oftelling me iI had no reason to suspect abuse and it was totally normal
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #73
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
I normally don't really care if they put miles on as I have a dct so how much can go wring? I beat my car hard already. But when I take it in at 9am with 6k to go on front brakes in I drive and pick it up at 5pm with front brakes showing 20 miles over due, than that raises a red flag. It was 9 miles put on after oil, diff and coolant change. Which I guess could be reasonable. But how you wear 6k worth of brakes down to 20 overdue I can't even imagine it possible . Any ideas? Am I jumping to conclusions? They ended up paying for new front brakes, rotors and pads and I am out of free maintenance so 1200 bucks saved as they were close to needing it. But its the principle oftelling me iI had no reason to suspect abuse and it was totally normal
Nice. So you got new pads out of them. That's a job well done.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #74
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

And rotors. Was more than fair I thought
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #75
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
I put about about 45 miles a day on my car and every chance i get I shift near or at redline. If a BMW tech does a good job and wants to put an extra15-20 miles on top of the test drive to go to lunch and enjoy the car in good fun, it's totally acceptable.

I wouldn't scream bloody murder because someone put 37 miles on my car...it's not like it's an expensive exotic.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #76
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
I put about about 45 miles a day on my car and every chance i get I shift near or at redline. If a BMW tech does a good job and wants to put an extra15-20 miles on top of the test drive to go to lunch and enjoy the car in good fun, it's totally acceptable.

I wouldn't scream bloody murder because someone put 37 miles on my car...it's not like it's an expensive exotic.

Your hyperbole never stops, does it? No one is crying bloody murder for an expensive exotic here. I wonder how many sarcastic quips it's gonna take for you to grasp it.

Btw, tell us where you live. We'll just swing by for a 'quickie' in your car, since you don't seem to mind 15-20 miles of unaccountable, unauthorized driving and lunching in your plebeian M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #77
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

I'm more in line with being OK with it bit not to the point there is damage as in my case. Nobody could possibly thrash on car more than myself daily so I don't care but being stupid or accelerating wear unecessatily takes it to far
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #78
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

To those that don't understand 37 miles test drive on a vibration complaint.
Where I used to work, its 7 miles to the nearest freeway entrance. Since the freeway was always busy its going to take you 2-3 exits before you can get up to speed (70 mph) So thats about 3 miles. So thats 23 miles per test drive. Now as per warranty requirements we are required to test drive before repair to confirm complaint, then test drive again to confirm fix. Thats 46 miles by the time the customer sees the car again. Btw wheel balance vibration usually happens at 60-65 then go away around 70-75 depending on the car. So to properly diagnose this, one needs to drive it on the freeway. There is no way in hell Im going to risk a ticket and confirm this complaint on back roads where speed limit are no more than 45.

Am I saying this is what went down in OPs situation? No, but its very possible. OP would know far the freeway is. Now if the freeway entrance is right next to the dealer. Well then I would definitely question the milage.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #79
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjay View Post
To those that don't understand 37 miles test drive on a vibration complaint.
Where I used to work, its 7 miles to the nearest freeway entrance. Since the freeway was always busy its going to take you 2-3 exits before you can get up to speed (70 mph) So thats about 3 miles. So thats 23 miles per test drive. Now as per warranty requirements we are required to test drive before repair to confirm complaint, then test drive again to confirm fix. Thats 46 miles by the time the customer sees the car again. Btw wheel balance vibration usually happens at 60-65 then go away around 70-75 depending on the car. So to properly diagnose this, one needs to drive it on the freeway. There is no way in hell Im going to risk a ticket and confirm this complaint on back roads where speed limit are no more than 45.

Am I saying this is what went down in OPs situation? No, but its very possible. OP would know far the freeway is. Now if the freeway entrance is right next to the dealer. Well then I would definitely question the milage.
The highway ramp is less than 300 meters from the dealership. In fact if you were to drive in any direction for 15 miles in Little Rock, you'd be way out of the city in the mountains. When I complained to the service manager, he said they keep test drives to the adjacent highway, which is I-430. What's funny is the the entire length of the highway is 12.93 miles, and the dealership is smack in the middle of it. So even if he went for test drives twice, there should be no more than 24 miles if and only if he went to the very end of the highway each time and came back, which is again uncalled for. No matter how I cut, it reeks of foul-play.

Last edited by malrash; 07-12-2014 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #80
Poofyo101
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just tell the dealer not to drive it. Ill let them know if the issue if it still occurs.
      07-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #81
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by O(1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by malrash View Post
I don't think I can rationalize by stretching my imagination in any way possible that 37 miles is 'normal' and the poor tech was being just considerate to me. The signout sheet said 9853 miles, which was 4 miles of driving from the time the car was dropped, which is understandable.

Like I said, somebody went for a joyride for 33 miles AFTER the car was fixed. Not aggressively pursuing this matter by trivializing it does not make it right.

I will likely never fully trust that dealership, and they will definitely lose money in the long run (from me at least).
Your M3 is hardly an exotic car. Trust me, nobody at a car dealership cares about the E92. They don't even care about the F8X anymore, why would they "joyride" your M3? Come on. Seriously. I mean I know your car is everything for you, but it's just a BMW for them.
I can share that the mechanics at my dealership LOVE working on M Cars and are passionate about the brand. Doing a good job on these cars earns them a quality reputation and higher pay so getting it right ASAP is key. I always ask to meet the mechanic working on my car before work begins so I can personally share my needs and concerns. I give him a $20 and say lunch is on me. I am on a first name basis with everyone at dealership and they know that I will give rave survey reviews to BMWNA and their managers for a job well done. I do this with any car in my Garage and always get great service. These mechanics often go unseen and recognized by customers for a good job and it's often when something is wrong do they have to come out. Let them know you appreciate them before they touch your car and watch the difference.
      07-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #82
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I can share that the mechanics at my dealership LOVE working on M Cars and are passionate about the brand. Doing a good job on these cars earns them a quality reputation and higher pay so getting it right ASAP is key. I always ask to meet the mechanic working on my car before work begins so I can personally share my needs and concerns. I give him a $20 and say lunch is on me. I am on a first name basis with everyone at dealership and they know that I will give rave survey reviews to BMWNA and their managers for a job well done. I do this with any car in my Garage and always get great service. These mechanics often go unseen and recognized by customers for a good job and it's often when something is wrong do they have to come out. Let them know you appreciate them before they touch your car and watch the difference.
That's actually good advice. Need to start carrying cash in my wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O(1) View Post
Dude,

What's the matter with you? Are you seriously going to make an issue out of 37 miles? If you are so worried about these things, don't even take your car to a BMW dealership. BMWs are like iPhones. They used to be so expensive and unique, but now everyone has them and nobody gives a shit about them. They are not exotic cars. That doesn't mean you shouldn't care about your car or feel special about it, but you are no different than a guy with an accord or an audi who feel their car is the world to them. The point is, your car is not a Ferrari and technicians won't wear gloves touching it. They will drive the shit out of it, they won't watch the pot holes like you do, and this will keep happening. So if this bothers you so much, you do your own maintenance which is what I do. I never took my old M3 to the dealership for doing any sort of maintenance. Even for the 1200 mile service, I changed all the fluids myself, I only went there to get them to reset the computer. Luckily I didn't have any major issues with my car that I wouldn't be able to fix it on my own, but still.

Relax.
assuming that you did not read or cannot read the entire thread, I am just gonna nod along. Peace out.

For the rest who may be following, have a date with the GM. Let see what he has to tell me, I just need a viable explanation that I can wrap my head around.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #83
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:

It's def an expensive car and to some the best they can afford. You sound like a Fuggin snob!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #84
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

I too think it's too many miles for a test but my dealer did the same on my old m3. 30 miles added for test drive and I was advised that up to 40 is okay. Sounds ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #85
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
It's def an expensive car and to some the best they can afford. You sound like a Fuggin snob!
What keeps me up at night is a BMW tech putting an extra 20 miles on what should've been a 17 mile test drive because they did two test drives instead of one.

I dont know if you mod your car or not but multiple test drives isnt that unusual to get certain things done right.
I.e.
1st test drive maybe the car still had a lil vibration or the steering was a lil off, second test drive...problem solved.

The snob is the guy who throws a bitch fit because there were two test drives that totalled 37miles to make sure his M3 was fixed right.

Maybe they should've done like some shitty shops, no test drives and have the op bring back the car a couple of times.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #86
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
I need to vent and also need some advice.

I took my car in today since I was feeling a little shimmy in the steering wheel ever since I had installed new wheels. I did the requisite trouble-shooting and it was still here, so the next step was to get a front wheel alignment.

So, I take the car into BMW of Little Rock with 9849 miles on the ODO, and verified by the fob. They keep the car the entire damn day, and tell me that both front wheels were slightly off, and they roadforce balanced them. They quote me $60 at the outset, charge me a 100 because of some 'extra work' that needed to be done. I get into the car and the mileage reads 9886!! They drove 37 miles testing driving the damn thing?!? and consume an eight of a tank of gas in the meanwhile.

I asked for an explanation, and instead of offering an explanation, the manager tells me that 'maybe' the tech took 2 or more test drives to make sure the alignment was right. I don't think even 2 test drives can rack up 37 miles.

I am pissed. Its not the miles or the gas, it's the fact that I don't know if they abused the car, plus I can't trust them anymore. They are the only dealership for 200 miles around me. I need help digesting this and putting this into perspective, or should I write to BMWNA?

What do you guys think?

If it's that much of a problem, install/subscribe to this http://www.motosafety.com/ and you'll know what goes on with your car and if any "abuse" occurs you'll be able to prove it to whomever at the dealership.
      07-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #87
DanoneBMW
Rep
Drives: G72 M3 (2018)

Quote:
I don't think I can rationalize by stretching my imagination in any way possible that 37 miles is 'normal' and the poor tech was being just considerate to me. The signout sheet said 9853 miles, which was 4 miles of driving from the time the car was dropped, which is understandable.

Like I said, somebody went for a joyride for 33 miles AFTER the car was fixed. Not aggressively pursuing this matter by trivializing it does not make it right.

I will likely never fully trust that dealership, and they will definitely lose money in the long run (from me at least).
I am 100% with you.
As someone who went through a factory order I think first owner of their car with several years left under warranty have a deeper connection with their car than those who got a second-hand M3 past warranty at Carmax. I bet you all responders who said this isn't an issue fall into the category of used car buyers. I guarantee you your post would have received unanimous responses of outrage when the E92 was still in production (mostly first owners on the forum).
39 miles is nothing short of outrageous !! This should not be tolerated. It is more than neglect or poor service it is intentional unprofessional conduct and abuse of trust and giving a bad name to BMW . This MUST be reported to bmw NA !!
They probably don't get an M3 in their garage very often so they think it's part of their job's perk to drive somebody's else's property for half a day ?!! This is not OK at all.

Especially since you have the printed job report showing the job was completed in only a couple miles and the illicit joyride was taken after. Even if they deny you should report it.

If only for other bmw owners you should report it so that BMW disciplines dealers who are messing with other people's property and are damaging BMW's image.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #88
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What keeps me up at night is a BMW tech putting an extra 20 miles on what should've been a 17 mile test drive because they did two test drives instead of one.

I dont know if you mod your car or not but multiple test drives isnt that unusual to get certain things done right.
I.e.
1st test drive maybe the car still had a lil vibration or the steering was a lil off, second test drive...problem solved.

The snob is the guy who throws a bitch fit because there were two test drives that totalled 37miles to make sure his M3 was fixed right.

Maybe they should've done like some shitty shops, no test drives and have the op bring back the car a couple of times.
I agree, you are not a snob. You are either a complete idiot, or someone who enjoys getting canoodered online. You voiced your opinion, now move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
If it's that much of a problem, install/subscribe to this http://www.motosafety.com/ and you'll know what goes on with your car and if any "abuse" occurs you'll be able to prove it to whomever at the dealership.
That is good, but since only I drive the car and never use valet, its a lot of money to gather evidence on service checks at BMW dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoneBMW View Post
I am 100% with you.
As someone who went through a factory order I think first owner of their car with several years left under warranty have a deeper connection with their car than those who got a second-hand M3 past warranty at Carmax. I bet you all responders who said this isn't an issue fall into the category of used car buyers. I guarantee you your post would have received unanimous responses of outrage when the E92 was still in production (mostly first owners on the forum).
39 miles is nothing short of outrageous !! This should not be tolerated. It is more than neglect or poor service it is intentional unprofessional conduct and abuse of trust and giving a bad name to BMW . This MUST be reported to bmw NA !!
They probably don't get an M3 in their garage very often so they think it's part of their job's perk to drive somebody's else's property for half a day ?!! This is not OK at all.

Especially since you have the printed job report showing the job was completed in only a couple miles and the illicit joyride was taken after. Even if they deny you should report it.

If only for other bmw owners you should report it so that BMW disciplines dealers who are messing with other people's property and are damaging BMW's image.
Thanks. I am meeting with the General Manager for an explanation. If they continue to lie about all those miles being test drives, I will call their BS and write about my experience to BMWNA, as well as on other BMW forums online. If they say they f'ed up and admit fault, then that will be the end of it.
Appreciate 0