BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

05-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

more creative dirac upgrades

I have been diving into audio this past two weeks. I had amazing results from NSW front and center and got rid of so much of the piercing harsh highs which was amazing. Of course I want to try the rear speakers out of curiosity to see what its like to have. The rear shelf coaxial replaced with mid drivers (no tweeter in NSW rear shelfs vs tweeter built into OEM driver) and the door speakers as well may have an even more deep rich sound.

So playing around I removed rear shelf speakers to see what it sounded like and it sucked lol but I had my front door 4 inch mid drivers removed from NSW swap and figured Id plug them in the rear shelf. They don't fit flat and couldn't make it look OEM but just for max quality I fit them in snuv at a 30 degree angle or so and they are snug and actually look like the car was designed with fancy speakers. Cranked up the Dirac and an even more deep and rich thump!! I'm sure technically the mids aren't at their best as they likely receive a freq signal meant for mid and tweeter but this OEM system as way too much high freq setup so it easily stood to just have mid range coming out. They are 4 inch mids vs 3 inch coaxial. Coupled with NSW, the eq is perfectly down the middle. Bass in middle and treble. Bass thumps crystal clear and loud because the added midrange from all the changes allows you to not have to boost frequencies or bass slider yet still thump harder.

II'm quite shocked at the bass effect from this. Id say if you are considering a 8 inch woofer upgrade and amp I would urge you to consider the NSW upgrade if you also feel the OEM is too high frequency harsh. The mid bass thump is amazing so I can't wait to put bsw rear panel and rear foot speakers as that will give even more depth.

This system is now incredible. OEM sounded tinny vs now a depth and clarity.

I don't work for NSW either lol. I had just been frustrated for two years with the piercing highs and this change made a world of difference.

I must say bswupgrade may be the perfect setting to use earthquakes if you wanted super low bass because bsw replaces 3 coaxial with straight mids and all 4 dfoot mids are deeper, you now have plenty of mid bass and don't need the under seat woofer to play higher mid bass so you could focus on strength of sws quakes vs. Adding them to stock system leaves a mid bass gap which is largely helped ibsw.

Question out of curiosity is what downside if any is there to replacing the 3 inch coaxial shelf speakers with 4 inch mids given same ohm rating,? Obviously you lose ability to play higher bands but if that is desirable what other issues would this cause. If someone could add a crossover to rear shelf speakers to filter the highs out, you would get such a sweet mid range addition rather than the stock 3 inch coaxials

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

Well been a day or two utilizing regular 4 inch OEM mid driver in place of coaxial speakers and angled slightly to front. Also center speaker is bsw mid so 3 total tweeters are gone replaced by mids only. Really makes a huge improvement if you think OEM system makes your ears bleed with high freq at high volume. If you like low level jazz or classical the item shines. If you like middle to loud rock, country or pop than the coaxial need to go. So much more depth and fullness and gone is tinny highs. The OEM system simply poorly tuned or utilized its 7 tweeters or maybe they just put too many where highs over power all else. If you wanted to spend little money just replace center and rear coaxial with bsw or two regular 4 inch mids OEM for rears. Will make a big improvdment
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #3
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoe92m3 View Post
Well been a day or two utilizing regular 4 inch OEM mid driver in place of coaxial speakers and angled slightly to front. Also center speaker is bsw mid so 3 total tweeters are gone replaced by mids only. Really makes a huge improvement if you think OEM system makes your ears bleed with high freq at high volume. If you like low level jazz or classical the item shines. If you like middle to loud rock, country or pop than the coaxial need to go. So much more depth and fullness and gone is tinny highs. The OEM system simply poorly tuned or utilized its 7 tweeters or maybe they just put too many where highs over power all else. If you wanted to spend little money just replace center and rear coaxial with bsw or two regular 4 inch mids OEM for rears. Will make a big improvdment
What about just deleting the coaxial tweeter and leaving those mids in place?

T
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

Sure even essier! I wasn't sure how to do that but since realized how so yes that's way to go especially if you want to keep them flush with grill. Do the same for center channel.

Problem I realized is guys that tune this ate older and demographic for individual audio is tuned around 7 series, m5/6 and in general older people!!! So the 7 tweeters and crazy high frequencies works for them as you lose that hearing of highs as you age!

But if your 35 or under, 7 tweeters is nuts!!!

Gosh can't tell you how much better it sounds. I have bsw now and its amazing but even tweeter delete in those 3 coaxial speakers made big change.

How in world can you have equal numbers of tweeters and mid bass!!! That's nuts
Appreciate 0