BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

no prob anytime. wasn't trying to talk trash about the UUC but i had one of there set ups in my M5 and i hated it compared to my Dinan one and my stock one so i was a bit timid going into it for this car. but i gave them the benefit of the doubt a few years later. then i read all the threads about it hear so i then asked my tech if he had driven any and gave me his view which was pretty much the same as everyone here said.

i didn't have much info on the AA unit so i made my choice with the research i had available. to my knowledge there isn't any other ones out there as of now right?? i don't think anyway except for some cheap no name brand one on ebay i saw lol

i was waiting for Dinan to make one as i had there unit in my E46 M3 and my E39 M5 and liked them. there were kinda middle of the road in terms of short throws and tight shifts. better then stock but not a race car feel. i am actually glad they didn't make one bc i would of got it and never had bought the RE. this is the first shifter i have owned that gives my car a race car feel but is still a good daily driver. so i will take the little noises hear and there for the great performance it gives you

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Man, thanks a lot for such an elaborate reply . After all I've read, wouldn't install a UUC even if I got paid. RE seems like the best alternative indeed. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #24
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

I've had an RE installed since they first came out.

I am more satisfied now than ever. It had some nvh at the start but it has gone away and now it is just pure precision shifting.

Great mod for sure!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

any pics of the install and shifter for us stock boys?/
sounds interesting, and xmas is cming up, must be annoying in traffic and city compared to stock??
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
sounds interesting, and xmas is cming up, must be annoying in traffic and city compared to stock??
We covered the install here in the DIY section:

▀▄ eas | Rogue Engineering E9X M3 OCTANE SSK DIY instructions
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271196

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:51 PM   #27
hogwild
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe

The RE shifter is fine in all situations! Its not any where close to the SS in my SC Mustang which is very short throw and very notchy to this day! Dont be afraid, its ok!!LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

actually its not. for me anyway but i been drivin manual for a long time so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me. i developed a little trick though so i don't have to keep pullin in the clutch in traffic. i just let the car in front of me get a good distance ahead then i let it out in first and just let it roll along. the people behind me beep there horns and some pass me only to find out there is a shit load of traffic in front of me lol. then when it clears and it opens up, i make sure i blast them with my catless system at 8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #29
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

I've got nearly 5k miles on my RE SSK and I 100% love it. I also had the guys at Motor Works West in NJ put mine in. Great shop, and they definitely let me know what they thought of my Gintani Exhaust (they are a Dinan Dealer. Much respect for installing another company's product on my car). Best thing that can be done for the 6mt car IMO. The synchro whir is always there, but only really noticeable during hard driving. Even with the 5k miles I have put on the car in the past couple months the shifting is still nice and precise.

The engineering of the RE could best be described as "beefy" when compared to the UUC.

With the shift boot on it's not really a noticeable difference from OEM, appearance wise. The shift knob sits slightly taller than stock, but since I am 6'3" and have monkey arms the added height was a blessing for me - no more knocking into the idrive while shifting.

It's a great mod.
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #30
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
I've got nearly 5k miles on my RE SSK and I 100% love it. I also had the guys at Motor Works West in NJ put mine in. Great shop, and they definitely let me know what they thought of my Gintani Exhaust (they are a Dinan Dealer. Much respect for installing another company's product on my car). Best thing that can be done for the 6mt car IMO. The synchro whir is always there, but only really noticeable during hard driving. Even with the 5k miles I have put on the car in the past couple months the shifting is still nice and precise.

The engineering of the RE could best be described as "beefy" when compared to the UUC.

With the shift boot on it's not really a noticeable difference from OEM, appearance wise. The shift knob sits slightly taller than stock, but since I am 6'3" and have monkey arms the added height was a blessing for me - no more knocking into the idrive while shifting.

It's a great mod.
Nice! I'll definately be picking up this shifter in December.

Btw. What did they think of the Gintani exhaust? What about versus Dinan?
      11-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

if it is not Dinan Dave won't like it lol. he will admit if it is good quality but he will give you a look. Mike or Al the techs will tell you straight up if it is junk or not no matter the brand. they are the ones who gave me the feedback on the RE. that is what i always liked about the shop, brutally honest and good work. i prefer an independent over a dealer any day.

anyone who is lookin for a good shop no matter the brand MMW is it. if it is junk though they won't install it i know that though. the one tech is so anal he pointed out one of my dinan mufflers was like really an 1/8 of an inch shorter then the other and made them put a new one on.

i have installed some non Dinan stuff in the past there and they were ok with it, but it was quality products not like these headers i saw a guy bring in one day while waiting for my car. the tech asked what kind of headers are those. the guy says there ebay headers. tech says well i didn't ask where you got them i asked what brand. the guy said i told you ebay headers. lmao as the tech took a closer look he kindly asked the guy to leave. lmao ebay headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #32
niqui
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

some great personal info, here
this is my first manual car and have thought about an ssk and dont know why, i like the way stock feels then again never felt an ssk...
but its quite an expensive mod to just try, at least more than i was expecting, 400 for it plus 300 install or so...could have some pretty nice stuff....
just my pointless thoughts, need guidance,,, if i dont miss it and am fine with stock, just stay stock, or am i missing out on greatness.
also, i dont understand, does it retain the complete stock look?? same boot and shifter>
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #33
lugnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post

The only 2 things Dave pointed out about the Gintani vs. Dinan cat-back were diameter of the pipes from the Cat to the cans on the Gintani (he said that they only appeared slightly more than stock width, or possibly stock width) and that the Dinan cat-back system has a grounding strap just like the OEM set-up, but that the Gintani system lacked the grounding strap.

They liked the build quality, weight savings, and look of the Gintani, and while some techs thought it was too loud, others loved it.

They are a great shop to deal with as long as you don't bring them crap to pollute your car. In fact, when I called them he wouldn't even promise that he would install the Gintani until he had a chance to inspect it and give it the "OK".
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race (sold), RG63
02 E46 M3 Cab Imola, E36 Z3 Atlanta Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0