BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #45
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Probably the house cat. I mean...if its alive right next to a lion, and eating the lion's meal, its probably only because the lion is afraid of it.

So I'm going to go with house cat as my final answer.
You're such a joker.
      06-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #46
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Just like when driving, if you see a car going to make a right turn shouldn't you get on the damn brakes?

I know we are supposed to share the road but that's what it means. Share the damn road. Both parties. I also can't stand it when a cyclist decides a stop sign doesn't apply to them. Wtf.

Now if he didn't use his blinkers, that's the drivers fault.
We covered this a little ways up in the thread. If you wouldn't drive around a car and make a right turn from the middle lane, you shouldn't do that to a cyclist. By law, even if a cyclist is on the far right side of the lane and the lane is narrower than 14', the space in front of them and behind them along with the width of the lane is their space and you must yield to it. Even if that means getting "on the damn brakes".

I'm assuming you are equally as miffed when a driver blows a stop sign or does a California stop? Do you get irate when you see other drivers braking the speed limit? Do you get irate when you see people make illegal U-turns? For every cyclist that doesn't obey every traffic law, there are 1000 motorist doing the same thing. Maybe not the same laws, but they are breaking them non-the-less. I'll fully admit in the past, the 3 or 4 times a year i got stuck behind a cyclist on a busy road i'd be aggravated. But having been in reversed roles, i have no problem waiting that extra 20-30 seconds to pass them safely. But any cyclist blowing through a traffic control device is an idiot and deserves a citation.

I'm pretty sure i speak for all cyclists when i say that i can't stand it when a motorist drives around cyclist with the mind set that the cyclist has no right to be there. The inconvenience cyclists cause the average motorist on a weekly basis is less than 1 minute. Hardly worth getting our nickers in a twist and endangering someone's life by making an irrational decision to pass rather than wait.

Last comment on "Share the damn road. Both parties." If you were to see a lion and a house cat sharing a zebra roast, who do you think is doing the sharing? Who do you think is controlling the portions being shared?
I do everything I can do let's cyclists be safe. For instance if there is a bike lane and I'm in the right lane, for courtesy I will slow down as I'm passing him just to let him know to not be worried. If there is no bike lane, I will make a full lane change to the left and pass by him slowly then get back in front of him as I would a motorcycle (if they even do ride the right line).

In California where there is a two lane street with a bike lane and a right hand turn comes up, the bike lane goes away with a dotted line aka the cyclist needs to realize it's a shared lane for right turns and thru traffic aka the cyclists should be aware it's not only his lane and cars will make right turns if in front of him - again I will signal and won't dart in front and slam on the brakes just to make the right turn in front of him (that's only for the race track lol). If there isn't a bike lane, I treat him as if he owns the lane even if he is riding on the right side. So if he is behind me, I don't have to yield to him if I'm making a right turn, he needs to slow down.

Regarding stop signs - no I don't get mad every time someone does a California roll and I will stop in case I am making a left hand turn. The problem I have with cyclists is that they aren't even close to the stop sign yet, I start to make a left, since I've already stopped for one one thousand two one thousand, yet they are coming full speed ahead - I swear sometimes they accelerate - and then blame me for MY right of way if it gets close - I want to smack all of those cyclists. Don't even get me started on crossing red lights in a busy intersection.

I meant to say that there were exceptions (with the if he didn't signal part of the comment) but should have been more clear.

I don't mind having to yield because yes, I am the lion on the road, but if the cat is acting stupid and not abiding by traffic laws AND courtesy rules, they have no excuse whatsoever.

This basically differentiates responsible cyclists and those entitled cyclists who think they own the road.
      06-09-2016, 12:51 PM   #47
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do everything I can do let's cyclists be safe. For instance if there is a bike lane and I'm in the right lane, for courtesy I will slow down as I'm passing him just to let him know to not be worried. If there is no bike lane, I will make a full lane change to the left and pass by him slowly then get back in front of him as I would a motorcycle (if they even do ride the right line).

In California where there is a two lane street with a bike lane and a right hand turn comes up, the bike lane goes away with a dotted line aka the cyclist needs to realize it's a shared lane for right turns and thru traffic aka the cyclists should be aware it's not only his lane and cars will make right turns if in front of him - again I will signal and won't dart in front and slam on the brakes just to make the right turn in front of him (that's only for the race track lol). If there isn't a bike lane, I treat him as if he owns the lane even if he is riding on the right side. So if he is behind me, I don't have to yield to him if I'm making a right turn, he needs to slow down.

Regarding stop signs - no I don't get mad every time someone does a California roll and I will stop in case I am making a left hand turn. The problem I have with cyclists is that they aren't even close to the stop sign yet, I start to make a left, since I've already stopped for one one thousand two one thousand, yet they are coming full speed ahead - I swear sometimes they accelerate - and then blame me for MY right of way if it gets close - I want to smack all of those cyclists. Don't even get me started on crossing red lights in a busy intersection.

I meant to say that there were exceptions (with the if he didn't signal part of the comment) but should have been more clear.

I don't mind having to yield because yes, I am the lion on the road, but if the cat is acting stupid and not abiding by traffic laws AND courtesy rules, they have no excuse whatsoever.

This basically differentiates responsible cyclists and those entitled cyclists who think they own the road.

We ALL dislike those pricks.
      06-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #48
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Cyclists are unbearable in my area, they use bust roads and are NEVER in single file, EVER. no way to go around them and traffic snarls to a halt.

Bunch of cocks, all of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #49
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Cyclists are unbearable in my area, they use bust roads and are NEVER in single file, EVER. no way to go around them and traffic snarls to a halt.

Bunch of cocks, all of them.
Tell us how you really feel...

They are really bad in Toronto admittedly!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #50
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Tell us how you really feel...

They are really bad in Toronto admittedly!
I am talking on lakeshore between say Brown's Line and Port Credit, amazing the attitude they have considering they pay for none of the road use. A blight on the area, the lot of them.

They are going to get killed one day because they REFUSE to go single file, eventually someone will try to pass them when they shouldn't, will realise this and swerve back to the left to miss oncoming traffic and will mow the bike riders down.

Mark my words.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #51
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:

We ALL dislike those pricks.
Unfortunately there are more entitled abusers of the road here.
      06-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #52
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Here's a local story that will surely rile you guys up.

http://abc7.com/news/chp-says-camari...eanor/1378012/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #53
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
Here's a local story that will surely rile you guys up.

http://abc7.com/news/chp-says-camari...eanor/1378012/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...609-story.html

Quote:
Michigan prosecutor filed murder charges on Thursday against the 50-year-old driver of a pickup truck that struck a group of bicyclists out for a casual ride, killing five of them and seriously injuring four others.
      06-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #54
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
That's very sad and as both a car driver and a recreational cyclist, I really wish cars and bikes did not have to share roads.
Well said
Appreciate 4
      06-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #55
mc-m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3, 2015 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I am talking on lakeshore between say Brown's Line and Port Credit, amazing the attitude they have considering they pay for none of the road use. A blight on the area, the lot of them.

They are going to get killed one day because they REFUSE to go single file, eventually someone will try to pass them when they shouldn't, will realise this and swerve back to the left to miss oncoming traffic and will mow the bike riders down.

Mark my words.
I don't know the roads you are referring to, but out here if there is no shoulder at all it isn't safe to pass bikes that are riding in single file. So what will happen is cars will try to squeeze by if you are riding at the far right. So in these cases, it's better to take the lane and force the cars to make a legal pass (squeezing is not legal). It really pisses me off when someone endangers my life because I caused them a 5 second delay on their Saturday drive. I stay the h3ll off the roads during commute hours, those yahoos will hit you just because they are mad at their boss.

We do try to stay out of the way, bike vs 4000 lbs car is not a win win. There are just times it is safer to take the entire lane.

my 2 cents worth.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 06:06 AM   #56
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I am such a slack ass on the trainer. Just as Verbiage... my usual Wednesday calorie burn is 1200 or so. Yesterday, just 700 because i hate that stationary devil trainer.
Today actually commences my rest period, I believe I have a slight contusion in my right bicep, actually only causes issues on the chest press, but either way I've gone 5 weeks consecutively at 5 times a week, two a days.

Will continue to take my BCAA's and protein though, since my calorie ceiling isn't as high as it should be at the moment, and I need to come back strong.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #57
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I am such a slack ass on the trainer. Just as Verbiage... my usual Wednesday calorie burn is 1200 or so. Yesterday, just 700 because i hate that stationary devil trainer.
Today actually commences my rest period, I believe I have a slight contusion in my right bicep, actually only causes issues on the chest press, but either way I've gone 5 weeks consecutively at 5 times a week, two a days.

Will continue to take my BCAA's and protein though, since my calorie ceiling isn't as high as it should be at the moment, and I need to come back strong.
Congrats on being on your (rest) period.
      06-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #58
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Congrats on being on your (rest) period.
Good morning to you too, dad.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #59
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

As a motorcyclist, this is nothing new. I've also experienced some cager stupidity when I was younger I used to be an avid cyclist. Not to mention the other displays of stupidity when I used to be an EMT rendering patient care to being the driver of the rigs.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #60
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Excuse me if I'm missing something here. But, if I've passed the cyclist and he then proceeds to drive into me as I make a legal right turn (signaling of course). Isn't that completely on the cyclist ??
From the OP: Simply take a moment to check your mirrors, especially the right hand side mirror after you have passed a cyclist, and prior to making a right turn. In the situation I referenced, the driver passed me and immediately turned right - I was riding @ 23 MPH in a 25 MPH zone, the driver passed me, braked and turned, so his speed was considerably less than mine at that point, there was no way I could stop in time. Believe me when I tell you that the driver was at fault here, ask any cop or certified driving instructor. This goes back to my original point, it only takes a second for you, but could save a life.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #61
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
From the OP: Simply take a moment to check your mirrors, especially the right hand side mirror after you have passed a cyclist, and prior to making a right turn. In the situation I referenced, the driver passed me and immediately turned right - I was riding @ 23 MPH in a 25 MPH zone, the driver passed me, braked and turned, so his speed was considerably less than mine at that point, there was no way I could stop in time. Believe me when I tell you that the driver was at fault here, ask any cop or certified driving instructor. This goes back to my original point, it only takes a second for you, but could save a life.

This bolded portion is the reason this thread exists.
      06-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #62
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post

Can't forget that your gains are made during recovery.
      06-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #63
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I'm trying to envision this...so are you saying that a driver passed you, basically then cut in front of you and immediately slammed on his brakes to make a right, say 15 ft in front of you? Like, if you were a car, you would have rear-ended him?

I ask, because this scenario is difficult for me to envision anyone doing (nor have I seen it). If you are that close to your turn, why pass in the first place? But if this is the case, I totally agree with you - that shouldn't happen.

On the other hand, if he was braking say 100 ft up the road to make his turn (and I could see why he would pass in this case) - then I don't see why he has to yield to a cyclist - they should yield to him if they consider themselves to have a right to the road. Simple thing - if you feel you have rights to the road, then respect other people's right of way too and stop...even if that means more energy expended to get going again.

Because this is my pet peeve - seems like most cyclists I see think that no rules of the road apply to them, but they definitely want all the rights of the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #64
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm trying to envision this...so are you saying that a driver passed you, basically then cut in front of you and immediately slammed on his brakes to make a right, say 15 ft in front of you? Like, if you were a car, you would have rear-ended him?

I ask, because this scenario is difficult for me to envision anyone doing (nor have I seen it). If you are that close to your turn, why pass in the first place? But if this is the case, I totally agree with you - that shouldn't happen.

On the other hand, if he was braking say 100 ft up the road to make his turn (and I could see why he would pass in this case) - then I don't see why he has to yield to a cyclist - they should yield to him if they consider themselves to have a right to the road. Simple thing - if you feel you have rights to the road, then respect other people's right of way too and stop...even if that means more energy expended to get going again.

Because this is my pet peeve - seems like most cyclists I see think that no rules of the road apply to them, but they definitely want all the rights of the road.
This is the reason I asked my first question. So, what you are saying is that if someone in the lane two your left starts slowing down and signals a turn across your lane (on his right) it is your job to slam on the brakes and let him turn across your lane? It sounds like your assertion is that the bike lane is not a "lane".

If you want to go with "isn't a lane", then who has right of way when someone is on the sidewalk. Does the car mow him down, or is the pedestrian's job to stop and wave the car on before crossing.

Your position is confusing.
      06-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #65
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
is the pedestrian's job to stop and wave the car on before crossing.
After WAY too many close calls, THIS is my position, especially when crossing in the morning to get coffee. That x-walk is the most dangerous part of my day, and I often ride a motorcycle to/from work.
IF I can, I get an officer to drive me across instead. They consider it an investment since I am the entire IT department.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #66
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
After WAY too many close calls, THIS is my position, especially when crossing in the morning to get coffee. That x-walk is the most dangerous part of my day, and I often ride a motorcycle to/from work.
IF I can, I get an officer to drive me across instead. They consider it an investment since I am the entire IT department.
I am with you on being defensive to protect yourself. For sure. We are talking about who SHOULD yield - or who has right of way. His position is that the person whose lane (or path of travel) is about to be crossed should yield the right of way. That just seems weird. That said, my momma always said "Having 'He Had the Right of Way' on your tombstone won't make anyone feel better."