BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

05-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Exclamation Lowering springs and Tire Wear

I did some searching on this topic, and I wasn't able to get a clear answer whether OEM alignment specs can be maintained with aftermarket lowering springs such as eibach, h&r, etc. I see a lot of folks like to run increased camber for the better handling, but my car being a daily driver sees a lot of highway miles and I'd like to keep tire wear at a minimum if possible.

How much additional tire wear do you see with the increased camber? Is the camber adjustable on the M and can you bring it back to the original spec following a spring install? Are camber plates or additional hardware necessary, if so what is available? On a few of my previous cars, I've seen about a 50% decrease in tire life once the car was lowered, so am I better off just keeping the stock ride height since tire wear is a concern?

05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I do not have "before" measurements, but I pulled the front camber pins in the tops of the shock towers and installed H&R Sport springs (the regular ones, not the more aggressive ones). My "after" measurements were negative 1.9 and negative 1.7 front and negative 2.5 and negative 2.6 rear. Toe was .14 degrees out in front and .55 degrees in in the rear.

My tires were well worn, but after about 6 months, I noticed some premature front inner wear. The rears actually wore out fairly well balanced.

I then bought new tires and aligned the car to the performance end of the range of BMW specs. The shop had no problem getting negative 1.5 to 1.6 degrees front camber, negative 1.9 degrees rear, and .10 total front toe in and .13 total rear toe in.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

After installing Dinan Stage 1 and Eibach's my alignment was still in factory spec both times. Those are the most conservative lowering spring option though. When I was on H&R, I had them back off before I even checked the alignment.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

My alignment is within factory spec with Eibachs but just barely. My tires are wearing evenly. Just went through a set of Vreds and when they came off there were no signs of excess inner wear.
      05-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Thats great to hear, I think I have a set of eibachs in my future...