BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Convertible

Will these fit my car

Hi

I have a 2008 M3 E93 and i wanted to know if these are correct for my car,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D1S-35W-Fa...item27d81197ee

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Spend the extra and get Philips
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281083688119...84.m1423.l2649
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbrennan View Post
Thanks and i will. i just found those when searcing eBay.

Do you know where i can get them in the uk

So these are the correct ones for my car

Are these the right Phillips ones as these are missing the wx at the end of the numbers of the link you gave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-Xe...p2054897.l4275

Last edited by Parrots; 02-13-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #4
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrots View Post
Thanks and i will. i just found those when searcing eBay.

Do you know where i can get them in the uk

So these are the correct ones for my car

Are these the right Phillips ones as these are missing the wx at the end of the numbers of the link you gave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-Xe...p2054897.l4275
If the info on the US site is correct, I believe the numbers are interchangeable -

Manufacturer Part Number:
D1S 85410WX Ultinon Flash White Bulb
Interchange Part Number:
85410 85410WX 85415 Osram 66144 66146 66043

In the US we've had trouble with counterfeit Philips Ultinon bulbs - not sure if same issue exists in UK. Read the info on the US eBay site to see the discussion of the "fakes".
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep

BTW, let us know if you find an easy way to install. If I understand correctly, you have to remove the wheel and access from behind panels in the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BTW, let us know if you find an easy way to install. If I understand correctly, you have to remove the wheel and access from behind panels in the wheel well.
cheers so these cheaper ones are likely fake as i did think it was strange them being cheaper then the US.

I looked behing my wheel arch and there is a 6" by 6" little door thing beind the lights so would this be how i access the bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Having done this, jack the car and remove the wheel. It will make life a million time easier. The little panel allows access, but you cannot see what you are doing with the wheel on.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Received the bulbs today and the little panel was for the wrong bulb

i took it to local garage and had both bulbs changed for the new phillips ones and the same headlight is still not working so any idea what is wrong

i also see some condensation in the headlight housing
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #9
jhbrennan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrots View Post
Received the bulbs today and the little panel was for the wrong bulb

i took it to local garage and had both bulbs changed for the new phillips ones and the same headlight is still not working so any idea what is wrong

i also see some condensation in the headlight housing
Sorry to hear that - you never mentioned that one headlight wasn't working.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

These are supposed to be lifetime bulbs, what gave you the idea that the bulb was "burned out" and needed replaced? You likely have a wiring issue and not a bulb issue.

I had an HID bulb go bad in My VW GTI, but it was because I hit a bird with that headlight and broke two of the clips off... the headlight vibrated and eventually the bulb went bad. In normal circumstances the bulbs should last the life of the car. The bulb on the other side of my GTI never went out and the car has 6 years 135,000 miles on it.

A coincidental thing: my M3 was hit and the insurance company replaced the passenger side headlight assembly despite it only having minor scratches. Since I had LUX bulbs in the assembly, I asked the shop to make sure they didn't throw my aftermarket bulbs away. They just gave me the entire headlight assembly. I have been meaning to list it for sale for some time, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It doesn't help you OP as it is the passenger side light. I believe the minor scratches could be buffed completely out.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
These are supposed to be lifetime bulbs, what gave you the idea that the bulb was "burned out" and needed replaced? You likely have a wiring issue and not a bulb issue.

I had an HID bulb go bad in My VW GTI, but it was because I hit a bird with that headlight and broke two of the clips off... the headlight vibrated and eventually the bulb went bad. In normal circumstances the bulbs should last the life of the car. The bulb on the other side of my GTI never went out and the car has 6 years 135,000 miles on it.

A coincidental thing: my M3 was hit and the insurance company replaced the passenger side headlight assembly despite it only having minor scratches. Since I had LUX bulbs in the assembly, I asked the shop to make sure they didn't throw my aftermarket bulbs away. They just gave me the entire headlight assembly. I have been meaning to list it for sale for some time, but I just haven't gotten around to it. It doesn't help you OP as it is the passenger side light. I believe the minor scratches could be buffed completely out.
HID bulbs last about 2000hrs, and I believe more on-off cycles reduces this further. I'd like to live a lot longer than that, and I'd expect my car to as well, so not quite "lifetime"

As for the OP, it's probably your ballast. D1S bulbs have the igniter built onto the back of the bulb (square metal box), so that's not the problem.
      02-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that - you never mentioned that one headlight wasn't working.

Sorry maybe i should mentioned that

I was only replacing as it stopped working
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post

This is my first car so i dont know much about them and when the light stopped working i assumd it was bulb.

Would warranty cover something like this as i have a 3rd party warranty that says it covers all electricals

i will call them tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
HID bulbs last about 2000hrs, and I believe more on-off cycles reduces this further. I'd like to live a lot longer than that, and I'd expect my car to as well, so not quite "lifetime"

As for the OP, it's probably your ballast. D1S bulbs have the igniter built onto the back of the bulb (square metal box), so that's not the problem.
Than u.

I searched the net a bit and have read of others saying such a problem could be the ballast.

Will give warranty people a call tomorrow.

At least now i have the 6000k lights that i have always wanted

Just need to get them working
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #15
Parrots
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

If it is the ballast will this be something that fails with normal wear and tear or is it a fault.

i spoke to the warranty company who says they will not cover normal and expected wear and tear.
Appreciate 0