BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #23
S///TH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERinEC View Post
I'm interested to know this as well. Do you just have the cats welded back on prior to the test?
Looking at the Schnell test pipes with those clamps they provide couldnt you just reinstall the converters and use the clamps?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #24
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

very little change in smell in my opinion if there is any noticed. Ive had my Macht Schnell pipes for a while now on my car and have had no leaks. power increase of about 24 hp to the wheels in midrange and about 20whp on top end. smog I dont worry about I can always put the cats back on, or Ill borrow my boss's x-pipe for when the time comes. as for warranty issues, there have been none when I go to the dealer. Im sure if I complain about anything with the exhaust or O2 sensors there, it wont be covered, but everything else still is.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERinEC View Post
I'm interested to know this as well. Do you just have the cats welded back on prior to the test?
This needs to be spelled out:

(1) Order the test pipes, go to your installation shop and have them cut your OEM cats out, then have them install the test pipes, then live with the smell (if any), then get a tune to maximize power, then enjoy the car for awhile

(2) If you are under warranty and you take it to the dealer for whatever reason and they see it, they could "black-list" your car depending on what future repair you might need

(3) If you are in Cali and concerned about the state smog test you either look to bribe the smog station (considered an illegal act) when the "time" comes or weld the cats back on and return the performance ECU tune back to stock so that you safely pass the test

(4) After passing the state smog test you go back to the shop to recut the cats out again and re-install the test pipes, then retune the ECU and you are good-to-go for 2 more years

(5) Repeat steps (3) and (4) every 2 years for as long as you own the car

For some people that's a small price to pay for the +25HP you will be enjoying inbetween the "welding cycles" (As for me, I am not so sure)

Last edited by Top_Gear; 12-07-2012 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #26
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
The question you should be asking is, what kind of gains will you REALLY get by deleting the secondary cats???
I would be doing that for more sound than anything. Thanks for nothing
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92livin View Post
I would be doing that for more sound than anything. Thanks for nothing
Some people get their little pink panties all in a bunch so easily...

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Well i'm sold. Is it spring time yet?

MS test pipes
MS intake
MS pulley
Tune from Mike Benvo
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
Lalit@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tributo, Superfast, M5cs

We've had fantastic results with ours. As mentioned, minimal smell increase, and nice power gains. We're having a nice sale on them now for the intro batch, check them out HERE
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #30
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
Well i'm sold. Is it spring time yet?

MS test pipes
MS intake
MS pulley
Tune from Mike Benvo
Preparation is key. Let me know when ready for the Macht Schnell parts.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

And to add to the three options of ACM, MS and Turner, you can buy an entire x-pipe for $449 from TopSpeed:

http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductC...idproduct=2769

Cut it however you want. You get 500% more stainless steel than the competitors sell. Been running mind since early this year. Added some resonators to keep the wife happy. People love the sound. You could sell the rest of it to someone who wants a Sosi x-pipe (which is essentially the rest of it).
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #32
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

get them just got mine on this week and its a new monster! mine were from ACM and im running them with an Akra slip on and it sounds sick! secondarys are 200 cell so why even mess with them or get an x pipe? just to spend money on nothing and have an overly loud ///M3? depends on what you want but i think test pipes are the way to go no doubt
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #33
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
And to add to the three options of ACM, MS and Turner, you can buy an entire x-pipe for $449 from TopSpeed:

http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductC...idproduct=2769

Cut it however you want. You get 500% more stainless steel than the competitors sell. Been running mind since early this year. Added some resonators to keep the wife happy. People love the sound. You could sell the rest of it to someone who wants a Sosi x-pipe (which is essentially the rest of it).
No cats on that thing.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Rep
Drives: X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Preparation is key. Let me know when ready for the Macht Schnell parts.

you got it!
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0