BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

08-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

MT 2012 winner

Food for thought...

08-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Look at Randy's expressions behind the wheel... That pretty much says it all
      08-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaneristiDriver View Post
991 may be the best normal production car ever made. Surely the best all around performance car out there right now.
+1...

I drove in a C63 BS in Florida (driven by Danny Kok) and it was amazing. It doesn't surprise me that it was well thought of... it also doesn't surprise me that the 911 S won. I have a friend who owns both an E92 M3, a GT2 RS and a GT3 RS 4.0 and he thinks the new 911 S is in many respects as capable as his GT3 RS 4.0 based on his experience with it. That says a lot when a Porsche owner who is also a very capable driver on the track (he is an instructor) says this.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Nice vid! Thanks for sharing.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:
^Agreed. Randy knows his stuff and the fact that the 911 was a winner in unanimous fashion says a lot. That kind of thing rarely happens especially in car comparos.

991 is beyond epic...and that fact that an entry level 911 is wiping the floor with the competition is just foreshadowing for what the turbo and GT2/3 will be like.

991 may be the best normal production car ever made. Surely the best all around performance car out there right now.

I drove one in a Porsche event and I must say it's a marvelous machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
I drove one in a Porsche event and I must say it's a marvelous machine.
Lucky you man!

Anyways, the new carrera S is really a wonderful machine. A lot of automotive magazines gave good reviews on it. I know a lot of people who have driven the car complain about the new electronic steering, but little did they know that it works better at high speeds.

The new carrera S really has set a benchmark for the upcoming Turbo GT2, GT3, and GT3. The new guys (Turbo GT2, GT3, and GT3) definitely have big shoes to fill.

Starting @ $96k, I would not like to know the price of upcoming 991 Turbo GT2, GT3, and GT3. Can't wait to see those cars in the next year or so.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

a few thoughts:
1. they're very good journalist. Very articulate, an easy watch. Great production
2. GTR is very tidy on the track.
3. Lambo = pure sex
4. loving the C63 BS sounds
5. although 991 is likely the best car, I'd still take the C63BS
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Can someone elaborate a bit more than its a wonderful machine? I have never driven a 911. I am sure they are amazing, however, I see about a hundred a day and it just seems like such a neutral vehicle. The design doesn't change, the exhaust note doesn't do it for me and yes the interior is nice but there is nothing that like wows me about it. I am also hesitant about the rear engine thing. Just seems like a big change in general. Not trying to knock the car, it actually makes it a bit more impressive considering everyone seems to agree that the 991 sort of sets the benchmark as a great car (people agreeing on this forum is a rare thing to behold)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Just like when I got into my M3, I understand why journalists called it a "Benchmark". It's just such a balanced car with such a high limit with a lot of fun to begin with. Really does put a grin to my face no matter am I going to work or just out for a cruise.

I've only had experience with the 996 GT3, 996 Turbo, 997 Turbo S

The dynamics of a RR Coupe is very different than that of an FR. Yes the design theme of Porsche may feel "old", but they always improve on power and efficiency of their motors and technology(torque vectoring, adaptive dampening, adaptive engine mounts,etc). The PDK is really lovely of a transmission, so responsive and reads my mind a lot better than anything else on the market. You feel very confident in this car. The aerodynamics let you drive at speed knowing everything will work fine. You don't get the woes of driving a supercar (458, Gallardo, MP4-12C), F1 shifting is still annoying (Driven all 3), Cooling is always an issue (self-combustion).

I would totally get a 997 GT3 3.8 as a 2nd car (RS 4.0 is a bit too hardcore)
      08-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskamatt View Post
Can someone elaborate a bit more than its a wonderful machine? I have never driven a 911. I am sure they are amazing, however, I see about a hundred a day and it just seems like such a neutral vehicle. The design doesn't change, the exhaust note doesn't do it for me and yes the interior is nice but there is nothing that like wows me about it. I am also hesitant about the rear engine thing. Just seems like a big change in general. Not trying to knock the car, it actually makes it a bit more impressive considering everyone seems to agree that the 991 sort of sets the benchmark as a great car (people agreeing on this forum is a rare thing to behold)
This is the porsche forum, I mean, M3post. You'll get a lot of huggers responses soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Lucky you man!

Anyways, the new carrera S is really a wonderful machine. A lot of automotive magazines gave good reviews on it. I know a lot of people who have driven the car complain about the new electronic steering, but little did they know that it works better at high speeds.

The new carrera S really has set a benchmark for the upcoming Turbo GT2, GT3, and GT3. The new guys (Turbo GT2, GT3, and GT3) definitely have big shoes to fill.

Starting @ $96k, I would not like to know the price of upcoming 991 Turbo GT2, GT3, and GT3. Can't wait to see those cars in the next year or so.

In a way you are right. For drivers like us who are at most, competitive club racers there's not going to be much difference between the GT cars and the 991S PDK. But the 4.0 is pretty much a cup car with street suspension, it is seriously fast in a straight line (450rwhp) and on a road course, even compared to a 3.8RS.
I like how the Carrera S with a big sunroof and standard wheels did a 1:39.3 (IIRC) and the 3.8RS with R compounds did a 1:37.6

However a GT3 RS 4.0 with enough grip to put down the power is a serious animal.
1:33.1
      08-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I've driven the 991S on the track at the Porsche World Tour and had a one hour unsupervised test drive at the dealership. Love the car. My main concerns are that you cannot use an 18" track wheel because it will not clear the rear control arms and noise buffeting issue with the windows down.
      08-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
Drive one and youll never want to get into anything else again.

GT3/RS/4.0 is the best soudning car this side of a Ferrari too.

The 911 has been the benchmark its entire existence, but this time they raised the bar to an entirely new level. Entry level 911 running supercar type times.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
+1...

I drove in a C63 BS in Florida (driven by Danny Kok) and it was amazing. It doesn't surprise me that it was well thought of... it also doesn't surprise me that the 911 S won. I have a friend who owns both an E92 M3, a GT2 RS and a GT3 RS 4.0 and he thinks the new 911 S is in many respects as capable as his GT3 RS 4.0 based on his experience with it. That says a lot when a Porsche owner who is also a very capable driver on the track (he is an instructor) says this.

Must be nice owning a grocery store chain

I may very well have to consider a new 991 for my next new car!!! The reviews they are getting are amazing!!!
      08-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #15
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Drive one and youll never want to get into anything else again.

GT3/RS/4.0 is the best soudning car this side of a Ferrari too.

The 911 has been the benchmark its entire existence, but this time they raised the bar to an entirely new level. Entry level 911 running supercar type times.
I test drove a 991 C2S and couldn't stand the sound it makes. That itself wrote the car off for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I test drove a 991 C2S and couldn't stand the sound it makes. That itself wrote the car off for me.
That seems like a minor reason to not like a car... exhaust options will be available so the sound will be customizable. Although I agree that a great sounding car is a plus and part of the selling features, I would not ever make a decision based on this alone. So you would pass up all other characteristics of the car that are better than almost all of its competition because of sound? I guess some people choose cars for performance and others choose for other reasons (badge, aesthetics or sound).
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That seems like a minor reason to not like a car... exhaust options will be available so the sound will be customizable. Although I agree that a great sounding car is a plus and part of the selling features, I would not ever make a decision based on this alone. So you would pass up all other characteristics of the car that are better than almost all of its competition because of sound? I guess some people choose cars for performance and others choose for other reasons (badge, aesthetics or sound).
I don't pick a car so i can be faster round a course or in the straights. If that is the only reason, we would all be driving GTRs. I choose one that gives me driving pleasure at the price i can afford. Sound is a very big part of a car's soul. U get hammered by the sound the whole time when u are behind the wheel. It's like marrying a woman with a voice that irritates u. How to live with her everyday? Changing exhaust does not eliminate the irritating induction note of the car. As to the other characteristics of the car, the PDK isn't any better than the DCT, the steering feel is artificial, and the interior ergonomics isn't to my liking. There is no denying that the car is more agile and sharper than my M3, but as a whole package, it doesn't impresses me at the level i had expected it to. Do i care that the 991 is quite a lot quicker at the Ring? Honestly, I couldn't care less. The Porsche badge also has no lure for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

strange that they didn't pit this lot against last year's winner and give the 458 Italia a chance to defend its crown.

also, would be good to have seen a Lotus in the pack

I understand why they might have found it pointless to put an outgoing model in the group, but I would have been interested to see their thoughts about the M3 in relation to these cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I don't pick a car so i can be faster round a course or in the straights. If that is the only reason, we would all be driving GTRs. I choose one that gives me driving pleasure at the price i can afford. Sound is a very big part of a car's soul. U get hammered by the sound the whole time when u are behind the wheel. It's like marrying a woman with a voice that irritates u. How to live with her everyday? Changing exhaust does not eliminate the irritating induction note of the car. As to the other characteristics of the car, the PDK isn't any better than the DCT, the steering feel is artificial, and the interior ergonomics isn't to my liking. There is no denying that the car is more agile and sharper than my M3, but as a whole package, it doesn't impresses me at the level i had expected it to. Do i care that the 991 is quite a lot quicker at the Ring? Honestly, I couldn't care less. The Porsche badge also has no lure for me.
it doesn't bother you that the "soul" of your M5 is partially an artificial sound?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I've driven the 991S on the track at the Porsche World Tour and had a one hour unsupervised test drive at the dealership. Love the car. My main concerns are that you cannot use an 18" track wheel because it will not clear the rear control arms and noise buffeting issue with the windows down.
19" with AD08 or something similar will be almost as fast and in most cases cheaper to run.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
strange that they didn't pit this lot against last year's winner and give the 458 Italia a chance to defend its crown.

also, would be good to have seen a Lotus in the pack

I understand why they might have found it pointless to put an outgoing model in the group, but I would have been interested to see their thoughts about the M3 in relation to these cars

it doesn't bother you that the "soul" of your M5 is partially an artificial sound?
It did bother me at first, but having done the experiment with/without active sound, i have discovered that it's not really that much of a difference. It's not the smartest way to get the sound in, but at least whatever little they put in doesn't irritate my ears. For a FI car, the sound department is gonna take a hit no matter what. Even if they give u a nice sounding exhaust, the induction note is pretty much gone. Anyway, i have just installed the Akra Evo for the M5 to enhance the sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
What the hell is with the bell/xylophone noise the whole time??? Was driving me nuts. I really like how one of them said that the Merc was designed by BMW M division... That was alright. And Id really like to drive a Porsche someday. These guys convinced me. Oh, and the Mercedes also...
      08-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #22
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Quote:
991S with PSE sounds better than 99% of cars out there and is right up there with the best.

Why do you have an m5 if you care that much about the sound of a car? The f10 sounds like absolute garbage even with an exhaust.

You gotta stop. Maybe porsches sound good to you, but besides the Carrera GT, they dont sound that good.
Appreciate 0