BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #45
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho View Post
Do these work with EDC?
Unfortunately, this kit is not EDC compatible...

In fact, no aftermarket suspension kit can ever be ED-compatible due to a common misconception that is being made in regards to how EDC-equipped cars are designed and built by BMW.

That leads to the false belief that you can somehow find and install a complete aftermarket supension setup while still retianing the factory EDC functionality. That's not gonna happen...

In talks that I have had with a number of engineers at a variety of aftermarket suspension providers (including Billstein), it's technically impossible to build an "EDC-compatible" suspension kit for the E9x M3.

For those of you who don't quite understand what I'm saying here...

No aftermarket suspension kit will allow you use the factory electronic damping control circuit (EDC) to make suspension adjustments via the EDC ride comfort controls inside the car.

You can retain the EDC functionality if you only change out just the springs...but NOT if you change out the shocks & struts.

Why?

Because the EDC control module is tied (married) to the compression & rebound characteristics of the stock OE Sachs EDC shock absorbers and struts. In fact, the entire EDC system is calibrated to the unique characteristics of those front and rear dampers, and ONLY those dampers. The OE EDC shocks & struts have the ability to communicate with the EDC-control module inside the car. (via sensors through a proprietary CAN-BUS interface protocol)

The shock valving of the factory installed EDC shocks can be manipulated (in a limited fashion) to adjust the ride stiffness of the M3's suspension with the buttons mounted on the center console. This is why you only have three possible EDC suspension comfort settings. (instead of 10-20 different compression & rebound comfort settings with a variety of other aftermarket setups)

Lowering springs will change the compression rate of the OE EDC shocks and struts, but the system can compensate for the stiffer aftermarket springs. (to a point) Those aftermarket lowering springs must be manufactured to use the factory EDC hats, or they will also be incompatible. the aftermarket option must be a 'racing' style performance spring set)

Springs are an option for you, but shock & strut replacement are not an option with EDC. The EDC system is not designed to work without the SACHS EDC shocks installed on the car.

There is simply no aftermarket solution to this problem.

The only way aftermarket shocks & struts could be compatible...is if one of the aftermarket suspension providers built a 'clone' of the factory installed SACHS OE shocks & struts. (that is unfortunately patent-protected)

And what would be the point in doing that anyway?

The EDC suspension is a pretty sophisticated piece of engineering, and it would be very difficult to make changes to it without losing the core functionality of the system.

Bottom line: If you ever change out the factory shocks & struts...you lose EDC functionality. Period. (no exceptions)
      01-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #46
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 // Panamera Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Unfortunately, this kit is not EDC compatible...

In fact, no aftermarket suspension kit can ever be ED-compatible due to a common misconception that is being made in regards to how EDC-equipped cars are designed and built by BMW.

That leads to the false belief that you can somehow find and install a complete aftermarket supension setup while still retianing the factory EDC functionality. That's not gonna happen...

In talks that I have had with a number of engineers at a variety of aftermarket suspension providers (including Billstein), it's technically impossible to build an "EDC-compatible" suspension kit for the E9x M3.

For those of you who don't quite understand what I'm saying here...

No aftermarket suspension kit will allow you use the factory electronic damping control circuit (EDC) to make suspension adjustments via the EDC ride comfort controls inside the car.

You can retain the EDC functionality if you only change out just the springs...but NOT if you change out the shocks & struts.

Why?

Because the EDC control module is tied (married) to the compression & rebound characteristics of the stock OE Sachs EDC shock absorbers and struts. In fact, the entire EDC system is calibrated to the unique characteristics of those front and rear dampers, and ONLY those dampers. The OE EDC shocks & struts have the ability to communicate with the EDC-control module inside the car. (via sensors through a proprietary CAN-BUS interface protocol)

The shock valving of the factory installed EDC shocks can be manipulated (in a limited fashion) to adjust the ride stiffness of the M3's suspension with the buttons mounted on the center console. This is why you only have three possible EDC suspension comfort settings. (instead of 10-20 different compression & rebound comfort settings with a variety of other aftermarket setups)

Lowering springs will change the compression rate of the OE EDC shocks and struts, but the system can compensate for the stiffer aftermarket springs. (to a point) Those aftermarket lowering springs must be manufactured to use the factory EDC hats, or they will also be incompatible. the aftermarket option must be a 'racing' style performance spring set)

Springs are an option for you, but shock & strut replacement are not an option with EDC. The EDC system is not designed to work without the SACHS EDC shocks installed on the car.

There is simply no aftermarket solution to this problem.

The only way aftermarket shocks & struts could be compatible...is if one of the aftermarket suspension providers built a 'clone' of the factory installed SACHS OE shocks & struts. (that is unfortunately patent-protected)

And what would be the point in doing that anyway?

The EDC suspension is a pretty sophisticated piece of engineering, and it would be very difficult to make changes to it without losing the core functionality of the system.

Bottom line: If you ever change out the factory shocks & struts...you lose EDC functionality. Period. (no exceptions)
Can I get EDC emulators like the Macht Schnell ones to prevent a code from popping up??
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Can I get EDC emulators like the Macht Schnell ones to prevent a code from popping up??
Yup.
Macht Schnell and KW make them.
      01-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #48
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Yes, but you have to understand something...

Those aftermarket code emulators mearly shutdown the entire EDC system. (which allows you to run an aftermarket suspension)

The only purpose for having these code emulators, is to prevent the EDC MIL malfunction warning from popping up.

You lose the EDC functionality, when you go with any suspension kit that includes aftermarket shocks & struts.
      01-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #49
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:

Those aftermarket code emulators mearly shutdown the entire EDC system. (which allows you to run an aftermarket suspension)

The only purpose for having these code emulators, is to prevent the EDC MIL malfunction warning from popping up.

You lose the EDC functionality, when you go with any suspension kit that includes aftermarket shocks & struts.
It's interesting that BMW chose that route with Sachs when there is something already available off the shelf like the Porsche PASM compatible coilover system. Had they adopted that system, life would have been a lot easier, coz you see all the options for Porsche PASM out there, some even with the nose lift function to prevent scrapes.
      01-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #50
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, I understand that I will lose the EDC functionality. Thanks for all your input :]
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #51
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTs

Quote:

i know this might be a stupid question, but if you have EDC should you just forget about lowering your car? correct me if im wrong but it seems that if you change anything in the system it could lead to serious problems down the road... am i right to assume this? im still debating about EDC, i would love to lower the car in the future but i dont really know what to believe on the subject of lowering with EDC, it seems like half of the people on this forum say its ok to do this with springs and the other half says no. If its not an option i dont mind ordering with out EDC and jut getting a new system, but it would be nice to adjust the ride quality with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #52
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
i know this might be a stupid question, but if you have EDC should you just forget about lowering your car? correct me if im wrong but it seems that if you change anything in the system it could lead to serious problems down the road... am i right to assume this? im still debating about EDC, i would love to lower the car in the future but i dont really know what to believe on the subject of lowering with EDC, it seems like half of the people on this forum say its ok to do this with springs and the other half says no. If its not an option i dont mind ordering with out EDC and jut getting a new system, but it would be nice to adjust the ride quality with EDC.
Well I'm going to try the Ground Control coilover conversion setup on my EDC. Basically includes height adjusters, any spring rate you want, camber plates, front sway bar links, right size bumpstops and rear shock mounts for <$1k.

If this really works as explained by Jay at GC, this could be the right setup for those who don't want to give up their EDC capability. I'll keep everyone posted.

BC
      02-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #53
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Well I'm going to try the Ground Control coilover conversion setup on my EDC. Basically includes height adjusters, any spring rate you want, camber plates, front sway bar links, right size bumpstops and rear shock mounts for <$1k.

If this really works as explained by Jay at GC, this could be the right setup for those who don't want to give up their EDC capability. I'll keep everyone posted.

BC
Can u explain more about this setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #54
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Can u explain more about this setup?
Basically I'm going back to the stock EDC struts and adding eibach springs (430lbs/in front and 650lbs/in rear. The front spring rate is increased from 167 to 430 because I won't be using the OEM bumpstop which is effectively part of the spring in the OEM suspension. The front struts will have a slight modification (that Jay says is easily reversible) to accomodate the height adjuster. Since the springs are not OEM diameter sized, the OEM top plate won't fit. Therefore, the kit includes GC's street camber/caster plates.

Since the car will be lowered by approx. 1", shorter sway bar links to prevent/reduce preload on the front swaybar (I believe this is correct but did not confirm with Jay).

So in the end, I hope to achieve:

- consistency over the range of compression of the spring since it won't be progressive like the OEM setup

- tune the handling by changing springs if needed

- be able to set the ride height where I want it (though I've heard from several sources that anything >1" of lowering is not optimal)

- corner balance the car

- get whatever camber in the front as may be needed - though not as much of an issue on this car as the E46M3.

- keep EDC functionality.

Thx,
BC
      02-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #55
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

How can u raise and lower it when in reality all ur doing is putting springs? Im very interested which is y im asking all these questions. Wanna get away from my h&r's. If this is promising enough might give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #56
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Cause the kit includes height adjusters ie spindles to raise/lower the car..
      02-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #57
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Just went on their site, but nothing was available for the e92 M3. Have u laready ordered them?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #58
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

you're right abot the website. Call them and ask for Jay. And yes I've ordered mine.

BC
      02-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #59
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep

Thank u. Appreciate the insight
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #60
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
you're right abot the website. Call them and ask for Jay. And yes I've ordered mine.

BC
Getting rid of the Motons??
      02-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #61
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Getting rid of the Motons??
yes. ready to try an alternative solution....
      02-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #62
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
yes. ready to try an alternative solution....
Understandable.
Good luck with the new set up.
Did Jay say anything about GC coming out with a coilover suspension for the E9X M3?
      02-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #63
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Understandable.
Good luck with the new set up.
Did Jay say anything about GC coming out with a coilover suspension for the E9X M3?
I'm sure if you contact Jay at GC, he can supply a well-designed coil-over for your E9x M3, even if it's not on the GC website.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #64
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
I'm sure if you contact Jay at GC, he can supply a well-designed coil-over for your E9x M3, even if it's not on the GC website.
Agreed.

I don't think they are coming out with anything specific. He had some nice things to say about the EDC struts and did not try to sell me a substitute. In my opinion, I think he'd say the EDC struts are good enough for the majority of the potential customers of an aftermarket suspension thus the recommendation to go with a coilover conversion kit.

BC
      02-11-2010, 12:58 AM   #65
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

So who else has RDSport Chassis Kit other than OP?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:57 AM   #66
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I called RD Sport in Irvine two weeks ago, they said that they had the fronts in stock but the rears would take about a week to get.
Pricing wasn't as expensive as I imagined it to be.
The person I talked to was really nice, and they gave a great deal on them.
Appreciate 0