BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post

At 10, the rotors were GLOWING red according to some of the spectators. I think the braking system (while big) does not feed enough air hence the issues. There is 0 ducting from the factory to the rotors.

On the streets, the car is AWESOME. On the track, while its very fast, I am not terribly impressed. with the brakes. Once you start braking 9/10ths, it gives up the ghost. You gotta be around 8/10s to make it last.

Lutfy
Agree. Mine performed well with just PFC's, Ti plates, SS lines, and fluid, but the front rotors were literally smoking as if on fire when I pulled in the paddock. And no, I didn't touch the brakes for the trip from checkered flag to paddock. Clearly the car needs some ducting. I think it's more of a longevity issue for staying out awhile though, I didn't experience fade in 20 minute sessions even when they were glowing and smoking.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I agree completely with the need for ducting. Running PFC's the brakes hold up well at VIR, probably due to the length of the track which allows for some cooling between applications, however, I have heat spots on the rotors. As I plan to track my M3 all the time now, I am going to add ducting to the brakes.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

For you guys trying to make the stock stuff work...you can always just upgrade the brakes. My friends with AP racing stay out there ALL DAY without issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@Porschefile I just purchased a GoPro, can you please tell me exactly how you mounted your camera to the helmet for this video? Also, which back plate did you use? The completely sealed one? I'm worried about the wind noise. Thanks!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Porschefile
Major
Rep

I used the suction mount the gopro comes with and no height extensions. The suction cup is mounted to the side of my helmet, you can sometimes see it in my rear view in that video IIRC. Skeleton case for more engine/tire sound, there is actually not much wind flow in the E92 with the windows down compared to most cars.

Unfortunately the thing won't mount on my helmet now because I had it mounted where my Hans anchors now are. I may remove them now that I don't have a car with a cage/harness setup to use a Hans with anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks man... I grabbed an old GPS mount and did this with it:

Hopefully it will work as well as in your video. What record setting were you using? 1080p? Think I'm set for this VIR weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Thanks man... I grabbed an old GPS mount and did this with it:
Hopefully it will work as well as in your video. What record setting were you using? 1080p? Think I'm set for this VIR weekend.
Looks good. Yep, I think it's mode 5 on the original HD Hero, looks like you have the same one. I might have just uploaded 720p on youtube though, I think it was taking forever to do the full version, I can't remember. VIR is awesome, haven't been since they redid the curbing but I plan on going June1.
Appreciate 0