BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Question Tracking & Leasing?

This is kind of a noob question.

The regional BMW CCA is hosting a driving school in a few months and I'd like to take my new E92 M3 to it.

This is my first BMW (had it now for 2.5 months and put 3000 miles on her), my first driving school of any sort, first time on a track of any sort and it's also my first leased car.

So I'm not sure how that works or if or how much it my be looked down upon with a lease.

I'll clearly be in the novice/noob group and won't be pushing the car to any sort of extreme at all, but I really want to learn how to drive the car better now that I have it and have some fun in the process. (with great power comes great responsibility)

So in short was wondering if taking the car to the track would be back for the lease, aside from mileage (I can't imagine with me being novice that I'd put any more wear and tear on it than I do during my normal driving as I'll be babying it I'm sure).
      04-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

It depends on your dealer service department and your SA. As I hear, some are cool about it, some aren't. You will put more wear and tear on the car than normal driving but unless you're hitting redline all the time (which you will if you race it) the service dept. won't know or care. Good luck, and have fun.

Another option would be to try the BMW M school. You get quality instruction and do it in M cars (and not yours either). Downside: cost.
      04-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
It depends on your dealer service department and your SA. As I hear, some are cool about it, some aren't. You will put more wear and tear on the car than normal driving but unless you're hitting redline all the time (which you will if you race it) the service dept. won't know or care. Good luck, and have fun.

Another option would be to try the BMW M school. You get quality instruction and do it in M cars (and not yours either). Downside: cost.
What is the general cost for the M school?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
CliffJumper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
What is the general cost for the M school?
1 day - $1300
2 day - $3300

20% discount for BMW CCA members

+ Cost of flight to and hotel in Spartanburg, SC
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
wimpwgn
Private
Rep
Drives: 13 750i

My salesman asked me if I want to go to track with him.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
This is kind of a noob question.

The regional BMW CCA is hosting a driving school in a few months and I'd like to take my new E92 M3 to it.

This is my first BMW (had it now for 2.5 months and put 3000 miles on her), my first driving school of any sort, first time on a track of any sort and it's also my first leased car.

So I'm not sure how that works or if or how much it my be looked down upon with a lease.

I'll clearly be in the novice/noob group and won't be pushing the car to any sort of extreme at all, but I really want to learn how to drive the car better now that I have it and have some fun in the process. (with great power comes great responsibility)

So in short was wondering if taking the car to the track would be back for the lease, aside from mileage (I can't imagine with me being novice that I'd put any more wear and tear on it than I do during my normal driving as I'll be babying it I'm sure).
Go for it, one day of a driving school isn't going to ruin the car. BMW CCA events are great, you'll learn so much about your car.... Now track insurance is another question, do a search for some good threads about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
mcoupe60266
?
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
It depends on your dealer service department and your SA. As I hear, some are cool about it, some aren't.
hhmmm interesting statement here. My advise would be to shower your service adviser in lavish gifts in an effort to stay on his/her good side and just hope that they don't read anything on here about your tracking the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe60266 View Post
just hope that they don't read anything on here about your tracking the vehicle.
Why?

I don't care wether my customers do DE's in their leased cars. BMW warranty is the same for lease or purchase.

Timed competition events are a different story.

Look, you don't have to tell you SA a damn thing. However, in the interest of honesty, track-related failiures (read:brakes) should be paid for out of pocket.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe60266 View Post
I'm his service adviser.

In that case, I wholeheartedly agree!

Lavish gifts are a good thing!
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I highly recommend you participate in a BMW CCA sponsored HPDE. You will have an incar insturctor who will ensure you do not do harm to yourself, him, or your car. You are there to learn, not to go fast, although you will certainly go faster than you will on the street. The one or two day event will not do harm to your car. BMW builds them to be driven spritedly. Go have fun, and learn, and experience what it is really like to drive a BMW. However be warned, this is habit forming.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0