BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Arrow Alcon Superkit Brakes vs Brembo GT 380 kit

Hello, anyone had experience with both?
Which kit is build better and perform better ?
Which kit is easier to swap pads in and out ?
How are the paint on the calipers holding up?
How long have you had the kit?
How are the brakes holding up?
Best pad choice for these kit?

Alcon Superkit Brakes Front 384; Rear 370 vs Brembo GT 380 F/R kit

Love to read some good feedback from user with experience

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Evan_RS; 11-18-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Can't help you with comparing the Alcon and Brembo BBKs but why no for the Performance Friction 372/372 BBK? Its on track performance is awesome...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd get PFC with an unlimited budget or get the Stoptech I have if money is a concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I think when it comes to actual performance, you won't be disappointed with any of the above.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
I'd get PFC with an unlimited budget or get the Stoptech I have if money is a concern.
The price of the PFC BBK is within the price range of the Alcon and Brembo BBKs listed above.

However, I agree with The TECH that any of these kits, plus ST and AP, will perform well on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I think when it comes to actual performance, you won't be disappointed with any of the above.
To be a little more precise, you won't be able to tell the difference between them. Pad compounds and cooling have a much bigger impact than the name on the box when you're comparing products at that level.

To be pragmatic, focus your research on pad choices and prices. Particularly if you're tracking a lot, those factors become important. For some brands, the range of pad compounds is surprisingly narrow and pricing can be quite breathtaking. For others, you can have any compound you want at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
+1.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
To be a little more precise, you won't be able to tell the difference between them. Pad compounds and cooling have a much bigger impact than the name on the box when you're comparing products at that level.

To be pragmatic, focus your research on pad choices and prices. Particularly if you're tracking a lot, those factors become important. For some brands, the range of pad compounds is surprisingly narrow and pricing can be quite breathtaking. For others, you can have any compound you want at a reasonable price.
Also ease of maintenance. Sometimes I wish I went with a caliper that allowed me to switch front pads without removing the caliper. But I've gotten it down to about 10 minutes per side with the brembos.

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Can't help you with comparing the Alcon and Brembo BBKs but why no for the Performance Friction 372/372 BBK? Its on track performance is awesome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Have not hear about PFC before, will looking into it.

Quote:
Quote:
The price of the PFC BBK is within the price range of the Alcon and Brembo BBKs listed above.

However, I agree with The TECH that any of these kits, plus ST and AP, will perform well on the track.
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post

Which kit and pads do you prefer ?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Also ease of maintenance. Sometimes I wish I went with a caliper that allowed me to switch front pads without removing the caliper. But I've gotten it down to about 10 minutes per side with the brembos.
If you could go back and chose a different kit, which kit would you have pick instead of the Brembo?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
If you could go back and chose a different kit, which kit would you have pick instead of the Brembo?
It would probably have been between Stoptech Trophy's and the Brembos. I honestly could go with either. I'm happy with my kit though.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
aznkuja328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M F80 M3 991 GT3

URL regarding the Alcon Super Kit http://www.alconusa.com/client_images/files/92_1177.pdf

I have had both Alcon Super Kit and Brembo GT. The Alcon kit is more aggressive in terms of breaking power. Brake pads matter a lot. I haven't tried the Brembo GTR yet, but the Alcon truly response more aggressive than Brembo GT even with the same pads.

I will pick Carbotech for brake pads because of the price and availability.

Also the size of the rear discs on our cars don't really matter as i believe 70% of the braking power depends on the fronts.

Hope the info is helpful for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Having used AP calipers with a removable top bridge, and PFC calipers with a fixed bridge, I've been able to swap hot brakes (calipers and pads; yes, you need gloves but that's the case with either type of caliper ) in the paddock in the same amount of time - I wouldn't put a heavy "weighting factor" on how pads are installed in a caliper when selecting a brake setup.

JAJ's statement about pad compound availability for a given caliper is definitely more important than how the pad is actually installed. Given the calipers you are considering, the choice of pad compound/material will make a bigger difference in brake feel/pedal firmness, initial bite, release characteristics, modulation, etc, than the caliper itself - yes, there will be advantages/disadvantages of each caliper but finding the "right" pad for your driving/braking style will make the biggest difference! I don't think you'll be disappointed with either brake setup; however, it might take time, and money, to find your favorite pad(s).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Have the Alcons and have really put them through there paces. Love the brakes, the consistency, the feel, and the stopping power. Brake pad selection is important and have found the carbotechs work well and for half the price of the pagids, but more selections will come on line as this is still a relatively new kit, believe I was the first to get this about 2 years ago. Brakes have survived 2 aggressive track seasons (20+ events) and 2 Chicago winters and seem to be holding up great. Supply line lead times are a bit of an issue ATM, if you need an emergency replacement part may be SOL for a bit , but other than that, I love these brakes. Cannot speak for the brembos, good luck
      11-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Evan_RS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkuja328 View Post
URL regarding the Alcon Super Kit http://www.alconusa.com/client_images/files/92_1177.pdf

I have had both Alcon Super Kit and Brembo GT. The Alcon kit is more aggressive in terms of breaking power. Brake pads matter a lot. I haven't tried the Brembo GTR yet, but the Alcon truly response more aggressive than Brembo GT even with the same pads.

Also the size of the rear discs on our cars don't really matter as i believe 70% of the braking power depends on the fronts.

Have you try endless pads? Which kit was easier to swap pads in and out ?

Quote:
Having used AP calipers with a removable top bridge, and PFC calipers with a fixed bridge, I've been able to swap hot brakes (calipers and pads; yes, you need gloves but that's the case with either type of caliper ) in the paddock in the same amount of time - I wouldn't put a heavy "weighting factor" on how pads are installed in a caliper when selecting a brake setup.

JAJ's statement about pad compound availability for a given caliper is definitely more important than how the pad is actually installed. Given the calipers you are considering, the choice of pad compound/material will make a bigger difference in brake feel/pedal firmness, initial bite, release characteristics, modulation, etc, than the caliper itself - yes, there will be advantages/disadvantages of each caliper but finding the "right" pad for your driving/braking style will make the biggest difference! I don't think you'll be disappointed with either brake setup; however, it might take time, and money, to find your favorite pad(s).
Which pad was best to go with the BBK kits you have? And do you prefer removable top bridge or fixed bridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Have the Alcons and have really put them through there paces. Love the brakes, the consistency, the feel, and the stopping power. Brake pad selection is important and have found the carbotechs work well and for half the price of the pagids, but more selections will come on line as this is still a relatively new kit, believe I was the first to get this about 2 years ago. Brakes have survived 2 aggressive track seasons (20+ events) and 2 Chicago winters and seem to be holding up great. Supply line lead times are a bit of an issue ATM, if you need an emergency replacement part may be SOL for a bit , but other than that, I love these brakes. Cannot speak for the brembos, good luck
Sound great, how are the paint on the brake calipers holding up?
Does the brake still perform the same from day one?

I appreciate you guys take time to reply and given me very helpful information

Last edited by Evan_RS; 11-18-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #16
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

The problem with recommending a pad compound is there are so many different performance variables that rarely do you find two people that like everything about a given pad. I've tried various Carbotech, Hawk, Ferodo, Porterfield and PFC race compounds and, personally, I prefer PFC 01, 03 and 05 pad compounds. For the street I like Carbotech's Bobcat compound; however, I'm currently running PFC's Z-rated street pad.

Fixed vs. removable bridge - most people prefer a removable top bridge because pad changes can be performed without having to remove the caliper. However, after having used both bridge styles, I wouldn't select a caliber based on its bridge design.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino_RS View Post
Sound great, how are the paint on the brake calipers holding up?
Does the brake still perform the same from day one?
Paint holding up great, that being said they're gray and match brake dust pretty well and work as good as they did on day one
      12-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
Skyarb
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkuja328 View Post

It's really helpful feedback. I will order Alcon Superkit today or tomorrow, but not sure about pads. I have very good experience with yellow Pagids RS29, that are available for Superkit calipers.

By the way, if anyone looking for good offer for Alcon Superkit, I've been searching for long time, and found one of the best here : http://www.jdl-brakes.com/alcon-supe...mw-m3-e92.html They offer free worldwide shipping till end of December, so price on website is final !
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #19
chuxdelux
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1988/1998/2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyarb View Post
It's really helpful feedback. I will order Alcon Superkit today or tomorrow, but not sure about pads. I have very good experience with yellow Pagids RS29, that are available for Superkit calipers.

By the way, if anyone looking for good offer for Alcon Superkit, I've been searching for long time, and found one of the best here : http://www.jdl-brakes.com/alcon-supe...mw-m3-e92.html They offer free worldwide shipping till end of December, so price on website is final !
Thats a great price for f&r kit. Good find.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #20
Skyarb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuxdelux View Post
Thats a great price for f&r kit. Good find.
Yes it is ... I couldn't resisit, and my order is on the way to me, can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Skyarb
Rep

Got mine today !

Very impressed with fast JDL service.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #22
lukester
First Lieutenant
Germany