BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Mporium BMW

09-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

BMW Performance exhaust in SD?

Thinking of switching up the Akrapovic Evolution. Considering going with the BMW Performance exhaust and Turner test pipes. Hoping to hear the BMW Perf exhaust in person before I make a decision. Hoping someone in SD has a setup I can hear, especially if you have test pipes installed as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

What a coincidence! I wanted to personally hear and sit in the car for a better sounding and feel of the MPE before upgrading. Thankfully, a local member in here is also from SD and got to sat in the car.

Question is... where are you going to buy the MPE from and how much. I saw on on eBay for $3250- shhipped
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
What a coincidence! I wanted to personally hear and sit in the car for a better sounding and feel of the MPE before upgrading. Thankfully, a local member in here is also from SD and got to sat in the car.

Question is... where are you going to buy the MPE from and how much. I saw on on eBay for $3250- shhipped
So I take it you liked it? Was it a straight MPE or did it have test pipes too? How was it in low RPMs? That's my biggest complaint about the Akra Evo is the bassy tone in low RPMs. Looking for something higher pitched.

Where'd you see it for $3250 shipped? Best I saw was from Tischer for around $3400.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
RN_2021
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
So I take it you liked it? Was it a straight MPE or did it have test pipes too? How was it in low RPMs? That's my biggest complaint about the Akra Evo is the bassy tone in low RPMs. Looking for something higher pitched.

Where'd you see it for $3250 shipped? Best I saw was from Tischer for around $3400.
It's a nice exotic/hollow sound at the lower RPMs. Personally I love it. If I were you, I'd be patient and snatch a used one from a forum member for around $2400 if you can't find someone to trade for your Akra.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What's a test pipe???

Check out BMW of Newton, NJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251298109733...84.m1423.l2649

At about 75-85 mph, you're gonna hear a distinct hollow sound. To some ear it may be a nuisance but to me it has a performance sound to it. Tho other people's claim MPE gains about 7 HP, BMW does not adverstise any HP gain. Overall, I love it but I can't seem to justify $3250- just for the sound, 20lbs lighter than stock, and corrosion resistance.

Perhaps we should wait for a used one.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar View Post
It's a nice exotic/hollow sound at the lower RPMs. Personally I love it. If I were you, I'd be patient and snatch a used one from a forum member for around $2400 if you can't find someone to trade for your Akra.
Thanks for the feedback. I like your description. Unfortunately, don't seem to be many used ones out there right now.

Quote:
What's a test pipe???
A test pipe is a piece of straight pipe that replaces the primary (400 cpsi) cats on the OEM exhaust. They are, by far, the biggest impediment to extra power on the factory exhaust. Replacing them will net ~20-30 hp with a tune.

Most aftermarket performance exhausts delete those cats and either delete the secondary cats or replace them with high-flow, sports cats.

Quote:
Check out BMW of Newton, NJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251298109733...84.m1423.l2649

At about 75-85 mph, you're gonna hear a distinct hollow sound. To some ear it may be a nuisance but to me it has a performance sound to it. Tho other people's claim MPE gains about 7 HP, BMW does not adverstise any HP gain. Overall, I love it but I can't seem to justify $3250- just for the sound, 20lbs lighter than stock, and corrosion resistance.

Perhaps we should wait for a used one.
Thanks for the link. It is a lot of money. Who's did you listen to? Any chance he'd be willing to give me a listen?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
A test pipe is a piece of straight pipe that replaces the primary (400 cpsi) cats on the OEM exhaust. They are, by far, the biggest impediment to extra power on the factory exhaust. Replacing them will net ~20-30 hp with a tune.
Just make sure you're aware that eliminating those cats will mean your car is no longer CARB compliant and will likely require you to do something when it's time for a smog check here in CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hapa View Post
Just make sure you're aware that eliminating those cats will mean your car is no longer CARB compliant and will likely require you to do something when it's time for a smog check here in CA.
I'm already rolling on the Akra Evo so I'm long past that point. I'm no stranger to cat-less setups. But I appreciate the heads up nonetheless!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Thinking of switching up the Akrapovic Evolution. Considering going with the BMW Performance exhaust and Turner test pipes. Hoping to hear the BMW Perf exhaust in person before I make a decision. Hoping someone in SD has a setup I can hear, especially if you have test pipes installed as well.
Why on earth would you want to get rid of your Akra Evolution system? You already have the best!
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Why on earth would you want to get rid of your Akra Evolution system? You already have the best!
No me gusta the heavy bass in the 2k-3k RPM range. I spend a lot of time in that RPM range in bumper-to-bumper on my daily commute. At 2k RPMs, I feel like I'm in a speaker, there is so much bass. It completely drowns out the radio or any conversation and feels like I'm in the cockpit of a small, single-engine airplane.

Most of the time, I'm able to stay out of it by going with a lower gear, but there are times when it's unavoidable. Otherwise, I'd agree.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Most aftermarket performance exhausts delete those cats and either delete the secondary cats or replace them with high-flow, sports cats.

Thanks for the link. It is a lot of money. Who's did you listen to? Any chance he'd be willing to give me a listen?
I'm not sure if his MPE has the test pipes. I'm sure he's willing to help you with the decision as he did for me. We are trying to do a local SD meet up and make new friends for ///M3 owners. If you like, I can ask him and we can meet up on the weekend.

Btw, are you trying to sell your Akrapovic Evo? If so, how much and is it chrome or titanium color?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Jremmy
Medic
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
No me gusta the heavy bass in the 2k-3k RPM range. I spend a lot of time in that RPM range in bumper-to-bumper on my daily commute. At 2k RPMs, I feel like I'm in a speaker, there is so much bass. It completely drowns out the radio or any conversation and feels like I'm in the cockpit of a small, single-engine airplane.

Most of the time, I'm able to stay out of it by going with a lower gear, but there are times when it's unavoidable. Otherwise, I'd agree.
You need to have the install checked ;-)

Akra shouldn't be making that much resonance down low.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure if his MPE has the test pipes. I'm sure he's willing to help you with the decision as he did for me. We are trying to do a local SD meet up and make new friends for ///M3 owners. If you like, I can ask him and we can meet up on the weekend.

Btw, are you trying to sell your Akrapovic Evo? If so, how much and is it chrome or titanium color?
I would love a get together! I think it's a great idea. It would be nice to put a face to some of the names on here and swap experiences/mod ideas. I am definitely up for it.

If I end up going with a different exhaust I will definitely sell the Evo. Another poster already shot me an e-mail, but I will definitely keep you in mind if you are interested as well. My preference would be to sell local. I do have all the original boxes and packaging, too. Not sure what you mean by "chrome or titanium." As far as I know, unless you get an aftermarket coating, all Akras are a faint gold/bronze metallic color with tips either coming in the same color or carbon fiber. Mine has the titanium tips and look identical to the exhaust as see in the photo below (which I grabbed off the Internet):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremmy View Post
You need to have the install checked ;-)

Akra shouldn't be making that much resonance down low.
What up, Jeremy! Yeah, your car did not seem to have the same sound I heard. On the other hand, I read enough comments from people on here complaining of low-end bass that made me think I wasn't unique. Still, I agree it would be a good idea to get it checked out. But who in SD has extensive experience with the Akra Evo on an M3? Wonder if it would be worth it to drive up to MRF Engineering in OC to have Malek take a look.

Last edited by Hujan; 09-23-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Jremmy
Medic
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Just take it to HGMS. They're much closer and do excellent work.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremmy View Post
Just take it to HGMS. They're much closer and do excellent work.
Indeed they do. Just don't want any hurt feelings b/c I didn't buy it through them.
Appreciate 0