BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Just use a leather bra, then you can remove as you need.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
A leather bra traps moisture underneath it, which will ultimately mess up the paint it's covering.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
You're in Texas? You don't need a clear bra! :P
If you don't live in Texas you wouldn't know about the love/fuck bugs that usually come out right about this time of year. I have seen paint on whole front clips of cars destroyed by these bastards.

Also, we do have rocks/pebbles here. Lots of 'em..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

I posted about how much clear bras sucked in another post and some guy who installs clear bras and his best friend got their panties in a knot.

The reality is that it's only invisible to people who aren't very observant of small details.

People who notice small details can spot a clear bra right away.

They're also the same people that leave the plastic on their brand new electronics. LOL

Take that junk off and don't look back.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #27
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
A leather bra traps moisture underneath it, which will ultimately mess up the paint it's covering.
I think he was being sarcastic!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Well if they promised a 100% satisfaction guarantee, then I'd say your chances are excellent. Remember, almost everyone promises that; it's just so seldom used that people forget about it. I'd check that first. If they don't, then your best shot would probably be getting second opinions from other clear bra installers or better yet finding another black car with it installed to show them for comparison, but obviously those could be a lot of work.
Thanks...I might try that. I am going back on Saturday to have....gasp.... the front license plate put on. ***I know everyone here hates them so save your fingers typing it, I just don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as that and end up in worse trouble somehow***
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #29
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusherM3 View Post
What are the chances of getting the dealer to do that for me? Free I mean. I agreed to have it done and they might just come back at me and say "hey thats what you wanted and it looks normal". I would have to have some proof that they screwed the pooch on the job somehow.

Edit....you're not sounding like a jerk...I appreciate the help.
I guess you'll have to talk with them. Worst case scenario, they'd charge you an hour of labor (my guess). You just spent $70K on a new car, get that thing how you want it to look. You should be grinning from ear to ear every time you see it, not wincing at that clear bra.

My '12 M3 is Jerez Black, but I got some serious shine to it, described here.

Quote:
Thanks...I might try that. I am going back on Saturday to have....gasp.... the front license plate put on. ***I know everyone here hates them so save your fingers typing it, I just don't want to get pulled over for something as stupid as that and end up in worse trouble somehow***

Just say "no" to the front plate
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #30
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't live in Texas you wouldn't know about the love/fuck bugs that usually come out right about this time of year. I have seen paint on whole front clips of cars destroyed by these bastards.

Also, we do have rocks/pebbles here. Lots of 'em..
I know about the bugs man

You put a good paint sealant, and a nice thick coat of wax, and those bug guts won't be burning through your paint. Ain't nothing gonna stop a rock of course, but if you really get a ton of chips in 5 years or so, a respray is only a few hundred dollars.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #31
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I guess you'll have to talk with them. Worst case scenario, they'd charge you an hour of labor (my guess). You just spent $70K on a new car, get that thing how you want it to look. You should be grinning from ear to ear every time you see it, not wincing at that clear bra.

My '12 M3 is Jerez Black, but I got some serious shine to it, described here.

Just say "no" to the front plate
Beautiful car...have you had the windows tinted yet? I had my done (the only thing that went right so far) and it looks good!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #32
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

It may be looking very prominent because of the dirt trapped at the edge. Try washing or preferably claying along the edge to remove the dirt.

IMO even when pristine, the line is often obvious regardless of whether it is ventureshield or 3M. as someone mentioned, whether it is not bad or ugly is very subjective.
      04-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Beautiful car...have you had the windows tinted yet? I had my done (the only thing that went right so far) and it looks good!!!!
Thanks! Haven't done the tint yet, still deciding on type and shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

I'd just bite the bullet..take it to a detailer have em remove it and then get nice clay polish wax and enjoy the shine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #35
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

"clear my ass...". Lmfao!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #36
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Haven't done the tint yet, still deciding on type and shop.
I got dark as legal for Texas and had the dealer do it. It looks good...

Before...

Name:  P3230020.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  320.1 KB

After...

Name:  P4200032.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  97.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #37
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Damn that's dark
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Op,
As far as I know, it should not look like that. The line that the dealer had that transitions from the clear bra to the m3's body is too obvious.

Like what others say here, the film is just too thick.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #39
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Op,
As far as I know, it should not look like that. The line that the dealer had that transitions from the clear bra to the m3's body is too obvious.

Like what others say here, the film is just too thick.
Looks that way to me also...I can see it from like 10 to 12 feet away. I didn't have to get close and stare to see it.

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #40
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Damn that's dark
Same as I had on my Alpine White 335...really liked it on that..and they put the sticker on it that says legal in case some cop wants t give you grief.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #41
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
Yeah, my rx-7 did that so I couldn't remove it.

I always laugh when I see one but it will probably be silly in 15 years looking at these clear bra cars...

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #42
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I've seen a few clear bras looking like that in the southwest. I guess due to the dust which is especially visible with a dark color.

I decided to pass on the clear bra on my Jet Black and no regrets so far. After applying a few coats of good polish the car looks fantastic, I couldn't get the same results with a coat of plastic on the paint. I figure I'll respray or fix the paint chips if needed a few years from now.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #43
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

First of all you should have researched a little on clear bras and seen some photos. Just as with anything else there are good installs and bad ones. Film is the MOST noticable on black... no matter what anyone says. If you dont like the seem lines then you should have had a reputable installer do it so you could get the full panels wrapped. Wrapping the full hood and full fenders would have offered complete protection and the edges would have been tucked.... you would not know the film is on the car. All films are 6-7 mil thick so there is nothing wrong with that film. (To everyone else reading this thread the film looks thicker because of the flash. Op take some photos in the daylight so that its a little more accurate... and not so close.) It is urethane, if it doesnt have some thickness to it how do you expect it to protect anything? Urethane absorbs the damage the paint would have taken and keeps the rock from reaching the paint. If it were only 1 mil thick it wouldnt protect anything as it would be too thin. That is why vinyl DOES NOT protect paint from rock chips... just sand and very small debrit. its simply too thin.

This is all pretty simple information to obtain. A little research would have saved you a lot of headache. As far as the install, it looks fine for a dealership install... so you wont get your money back. To remove it grab a corner and pull. It doesnt take a professional to remove film as long as it hasnt sat on there for years... in that case certain films tend to leave adhesive behind... so you would need some adhesive remover.

Again I underatnd your unhappiness but you should have done some research. There are countless threads on here regarding the product and plenty of pictures out there to look at. When you do remove the film you WILL get rock chips and you WILL have to look at those everyday until you respray... which will cost you hundreds of dollars more not to mention the time you are out of the car and the money lost when you sale it or trade it in. So I recommend not making a rash decision and running out and ripping it off. Remember you got it for PAINT PROTECTION not paint enhancement.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #44
CrusherM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
First of all you should have researched a little on clear bras and seen some photos. Just as with anything else there are good installs and bad ones. Film is the MOST noticable on black... no matter what anyone says. If you dont like the seem lines then you should have had a reputable installer do it so you could get the full panels wrapped. Wrapping the full hood and full fenders would have offered complete protection and the edges would have been tucked.... you would not know the film is on the car. All films are 6-7 mil thick so there is nothing wrong with that film. (To everyone else reading this thread the film looks thicker because of the flash. Op take some photos in the daylight so that its a little more accurate... and not so close.) It is urethane, if it doesnt have some thickness to it how do you expect it to protect anything? Urethane absorbs the damage the paint would have taken and keeps the rock from reaching the paint. If it were only 1 mil thick it wouldnt protect anything as it would be too thin. That is why vinyl DOES NOT protect paint from rock chips... just sand and very small debrit. its simply too thin.

This is all pretty simple information to obtain. A little research would have saved you a lot of headache. As far as the install, it looks fine for a dealership install... so you wont get your money back. To remove it grab a corner and pull. It doesnt take a professional to remove film as long as it hasnt sat on there for years... in that case certain films tend to leave adhesive behind... so you would need some adhesive remover.

Again I underatnd your unhappiness but you should have done some research. There are countless threads on here regarding the product and plenty of pictures out there to look at. When you do remove the film you WILL get rock chips and you WILL have to look at those everyday until you respray... which will cost you hundreds of dollars more not to mention the time you are out of the car and the money lost when you sale it or trade it in. So I recommend not making a rash decision and running out and ripping it off. Remember you got it for PAINT PROTECTION not paint enhancement.
Thanks for the info.

I have found other problems now that I have had more time to look it over. I found a bubble with what looks like some sort of liquid in it on the sharp edge around the left headlight. Bout 1.5" long and very narrow right down the edge. You can run your finger over it and the liquid and little air bubbles move all around.I am taking it back to the dealer Saturday to complain. I'm pretty sure the bubble should not be there. Maybe that will be enough to get them to take it off and give me my money back.
Appreciate 0