BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

04-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Rickrack
Private
Rep
Drives: 03' Corvette Z06, 99' Bmw 540i

Cool ** Imola Red BMW M3 Paint Correction & Detail **

This beautiful Imola Red BMW M3 Coupe was scheduled for just a basic exterior detail, which of course turned into a bit more. It belongs to a first time customer, who had seen some of my past work online and booked an appointment. Come to find out, I know the owners brother really well, so I ended up spending more time than I had originally planned.

The car was fairly beat up from the wonderful New England winter it had just endured. I had a busy week planned, so my goal was to have the car in & out in no more than 24 hours. Due to the limited time frame to complete the detail, I didn’t have the time to document everything. I only got to take pictures before and after the detail, so no during pics.

I started by foaming the car down, let it dwell for several minutes and rinsed the car thoroughly. Next, I gave the car a basic hand wash and cleaned the wheels, tires & wheel wells. I gave it a quick rinse, foamed the car down again and clayed the exterior using a green Sonus clay bar (good stuff!) to remove any bonded contaminants from the surface. Since the car was heavily contaminated, I tried my new bottle of Blackfire Clay Cleaner to remove most of the contamination from the clay bar. The car was rinsed, dried and all door, hood and trunk jambs were wiped clean. All cracks & crevices were purged with compressed air and all trim / moldings were masked off with blue painters tape. I gave the exterior a quick alcohol wipedown before any polishing was done.

Here is what the car looked like after the wash & prep…

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
Rickrack
Private
Rep
Drives: 03' Corvette Z06, 99' Bmw 540i

To remove the serious defects, I used Mark-V MV-350 on a green German CCS foam pad. I was reluctant to use wool, because time was limited and I didn’t have time to remove wool pad marring. I worked the MV-350 into the paint using various speeds and pressure techniques to get the correction I was looking for. Some panels required 2-3 sets of polishing to fully remove the serious defects. I spent the most time on this step trying to get the surface as perfect as possible, which would make the next steps even quicker. Surprisingly, I was able to remove 98% of the major defects and did my best to burnish the other areas which I could not get a full 100% correction. More times than not, these kinds of things can be seen under halogen lighting, but cannot be seen in outside, so I did the best I could.

For the next step, I gave the exterior an alcohol wipedown and polished the complete exterior with Menzerna SIP using the same green German CCS foam pad. This really brought the paint back to life and created a really nice glow. At this point, it was after midnight and I was getting pretty tired. My shoulder was killing me, so I decided to to the final step using the PC, which I rarely use.

For the final step, I used Menzerna 106fa on a flat white LC foam pad using the PC. This went pretty quick and probably saved me a couple hours versus using the rotary. It was now about 2:00 am, so I gave the car a quick wash and left the rest for later. I went home to bed and planned on waking up early to finish things up.

I arrived back at the shop around 9:00 am the same morning and continued where I had left off just a few hours before. It honestly felt like I never left! I wiped the exterior down with alcohol, followed by a Zaino Z6 wipedown. All door, hood and trunk jambs were wiped down with OCW on a microfiber towel and all emblems / badges were detailed using a horse hair brush to remove any possible polishing residue. All windows were cleaned using Eimann Fabrik Clear Vision II and the exhaust tips were polished with Wicked Metal Polish.

For the LSP, I wanted something that would look nice, but didn’t require lots of time to apply and remove. I decided to go with Ultima Paint Guard Plus, which was really easy to use and gave the paint a really nice look. While the Ultima was curing, I polished the wheels with Werkstatt prime and dressed all tires & wheel wells with Super Blue dressing. All exterior glass was treated with Opti-Seal, including the wheels.

Here are the final results…

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

Great job bringing the beauty of the Imola Red paint back.

What did the owner use to clean the car with during the winter - an SOS pad? I've never seen so many swirls
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Meem would be proud. IR = one of the best colors ever
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
Great job bringing the beauty of the Imola Red paint back.

What did the owner use to clean the car with during the winter - an SOS pad? I've never seen so many swirls

exactly what I was thinking geez....

Great job but you forgot to remove the swirls from the license plate

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
rockd
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT

Rick and Ryan are amazing at what they do! My G35 coupe is at their shop right now for a quick detail, and I plan to bring in my Interlagos Blue E92 M3 in very soon =)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Berry nahyce!
      05-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Did he cry when he picked it up? I might have......

Great results!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Great job as usual!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
boynbeagle7
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M3

wow, great job. It looks brand new.
Those were some serious swirl marks. was he using a cleaner wax?
Appreciate 0