BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBMWM3 View Post
What the hell was his deal with not being able to rev it past 6k? Hopefully that guy just works the Scud since im driving the Supperleggera and 458
They have multiple instructors that work all the cars. I had much better experiences with my guys and every one of them helped me push the cars as hard as I was able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
That sucks about the instructor. I would have gotten pretty frustrated if I were told not to rev a Scuderia past 6k. If I'm paying to drive it on the track then I want to be able to drive it properly.

Did you really find the Italia was that much better than the Scud, btw?
I also drove both and I preferred the rawness of the Scud. I do agree with the OP that the tranny is better in the 458, but I found the steering in the 458 a little to "twitchy" for myself. Basically the Scud seemed the more pure track car (which it is) while the 458 was a ridiculously high performer that you could track and daily drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #24
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I wanted to do this exact driving experience.. But just listening to those instructors just makes me not want to waste my cash. A couple laps in I would say to the instructor "u wanna drive??" Haha...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #25
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
Second, I switched to the R8. All I can say is what a disappointment. The handling was pretty good - precise, composed, balanced. But it was quite slow, the steering was numb, and the dual clutch transmission was the worst automated manual I've driven. It was rather boring. I thought it would be better.
Well the V8 R8 tranmission is not a dual clutch transmission. It is been widely reported the original single clutch R tronic tranny is terrible. Spy shots have been taken of Audi testing V10 R8 with dual clutch.

Too bad they didn't have the R8 with the manual gated shifter.

Very weird you found it numb. As I have never read a single bad review about steering feeling numb.

I would think going from a 458 or a scud to a R8 that would make the R8 not feel as good.. Especially the 458 the handling is crazy fast.

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Well the V8 R8 tranmission is not a dual clutch transmission. It is been widely reported the original single clutch R tronic tranny is terrible. Spy shots have been taken of Audi testing V10 R8 with dual clutch.

Too bad they didn't have the R8 with the manual gated shifter.

Very weird you found it numb. As I have never read a single bad review about steering feeling numb.
Thanks for the info about the R8 transmission. That clearly explains why it was so bad.

As far as the steering, it was precise. I just didn't get any feedback from the road. With the Ferraris and my M3 for that matter, you get a lot more information from the wheel.

The R8 is pretty easy to drive and has very balanced handling, and maybe that's why nobody has said anything about the numb steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I would think going from a 458 or a scud to a R8 that would make the R8 not feel as good.. Especially the 458 the handling is crazy fast.
True, but the difference was SOOO big.

I track my M3 fairly regularly, and I've got to say that I would take the M3 any day over the R8. Even if they were priced the same, I would still take the M3.

IMO, the R8 is just not that great. My friend, who also drove the R8 that day, was also surprised at how underwhelming it was.
      08-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #27
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Jesus Christ. I just watched the 458 and I have never seen such an annoying instructor. Fucking Christ. YOU PAID FOR THAT. You are not dumb my God. After 10 laps, you probably knew what you were doing.... He doesn't need to tell you what to do the wholllle fucking time.

My god.

Still sounds pretty sick though .
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #28
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:

Really, you've NEVER heard or read about Audi's numbness / lack of involvement? It's welllllll documented. Anyhow OP... looks like you had a GREAT time (except for the douche Scud instructor). Congrats! Worth every penny

Last edited by johanness; 08-14-2011 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: lousy Iphone app
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #29
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I track my M3 fairly regularly, and I've got to say that I would take the M3 any day over the R8. Even if they were priced the same, I would still take the M3.
I don't know about that. I would take the R8 over two of my M3's. I have driven the R8, although in manual (might be a different experience). I found the R8 beautiful to drive, very percise and controlled around corners. It was a very confidence inducing car, feels like you can't do anything wrong in it. Audi did a wonderful job building the car. I wish BMW built something like the R8. Now I just need my buddy to trade in his V8 for the V10 model, so I can drive that.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #30
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info about the R8 transmission. That clearly explains why it was so bad.

As far as the steering, it was precise. I just didn't get any feedback from the road. With the Ferraris and my M3 for that matter, you get a lot more information from the wheel.

The R8 is pretty easy to drive and has very balanced handling, and maybe that's why nobody has said anything about the numb steering.

True, but the difference was SOOO big.

IMO, the R8 is just not that great. My friend, who also drove the R8 that day, was also surprised at how underwhelming it was.
No offense to Audi but you are comparing a Audi to a Ferrari..

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
Im scheduled to drive the 458 on 8/25! I can't wait to watch the videos you posted when i get out of work. Sounds like blast though! My friend enjoyed his ride in the Lambo.
Quote:
You won't be disappointed. The 458 is an incredible car!
Just figured I'd post the 2 videos I made. One from Exotics racing and then one with a Picture in a picture(in a picture) so you could gauge how quick in relationship to other cars.

So my thoughts on the experience was are as follows.
5 laps is too short amount of time to really get acclimated in the car.

In particular, the steering seemed much softer than the servotronics in the M3 on the stiffest settings which i prefer; so i ended up turning in a bit too soon as i was expecting a little resistance.

Instructor interference actually prevented me from going faster than I thought(knew) I could go. You'll notice when I upshift when i pass the lambo on the front straight that he reaches over and hits the paddle like I wasn't going to shift and then ended up in a gear much higher than I needed.

I was expecting a LOT more from the experience than what I got so i was a little let down. M3 to a Ferrari is a lesser jump in performance than say a civic to an M3. Either way, I enjoyed myself and had a great time. I may do it again assuming i fill out their survey and get a free lap! Next time I'd probably do the Superleggera. Carbon Fiber interior was boneriffic!

Enjoy!

SOLD-2011.5 ///M3 Sedan ZCP
SOLD-2008 E90 335i Sport
Appreciate 0