BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

07-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Advice pertaining to stop tech bbk

Good evening everyone ,

I know this may have been covered in many different capacities or questions but I have a few of my own I would like to ask and seek advice.

I am currently looking to do a upgrade for my stock setup. The rotors are stock Oem with around 70k on them. My plans are to keep the car and eventually go the SC route.

Will a stop tech st40 kit be a good upgrade vs getting a good set of PFC rotors ( just as a example ), different pads and upgraded lines ? My car is used for some DD duties , spirited mountain passes , and I will start tracking as a novice hopefully . Maybe a couple days a year , some HPDE events etc. By no means is this car a dedicated track car.

From a money aspect if I do a full overhaul with Oem for the front brakes I assume I will probably spend 1100-1300$ vs the 2k for the upgrades 4piston bbk.

Any words of advice ? Is it well worth it ? Noticeable feel ? I do drive hard and sometimes the brake feel like it's gettin soft but just looking for some advice from seasoned vets. Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I’d say someone who occasionally drives hard (who doesn’t?), may one day add power, and may one day do driving events does not need a big brake kit. Someone in that category may want one because it looks cool. They do look cool.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

If you plan on replacing the OEM rotors, then I would go with the ST40 kit. No doubt it is better and plenty enough for novice HPDE.

The cheaper solution is to upgrade your brake lines, high temperature fluid, and dedicated track pads. This is a good setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I’d say someone who occasionally drives hard (who doesn’t?), may one day add power, and may one day do driving events does not need a big brake kit. Someone in that category may want one because it looks cool. They do look cool.
Thank you for the advice
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
If you plan on replacing the OEM rotors, then I would go with the ST40 kit. No doubt it is better and plenty enough for novice HPDE.

The cheaper solution is to upgrade your brake lines, high temperature fluid, and dedicated track pads. This is a good setup.
Thank you for the advice. Yes I will be replacing as the rotors do some a slight lip on them. They're the originals. I just didn't want to have to upgrade later on when I go SC route.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:42 PM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

ST40 should be good enough.
Look for some used BBK here. I discolor my ST60's ever time I go to Laguna Seca.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
ST40 should be good enough.
Look for some used BBK here. I discolor my ST60's ever time I go to Laguna Seca.

Out of curiosity, what color calipers are you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 01:17 AM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwike92M3 View Post
Out of curiosity, what color calipers are you running?
Stoptech red. The last time only the lettering got faded a little but that was after a repaint and not pushing the brakes as hard as the first time, which really faded the color the the calipers were 7 yrs old already with many track days on them. I have track pads.
Looking into the Porsche GT3 suspension arm duct for next time.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Stoptech red. The last time only the lettering got faded a little but that was after a repaint and not pushing the brakes as hard as the first time, which really faded the color the the calipers were 7 yrs old already with many track days on them. I have track pads.
Looking into the Porsche GT3 suspension arm duct for next time.
Gotcha! I plan on upgrading to the ST60/St40 like a lot of people, but would like yellow calipers. Ive read that the yellow has a tendency to discolor with extended track use. Can you weigh in on this by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I've had my STR40 355mm front kit on the car for coming up on 6? years and 70,000+ miles, including a few track days. The caliper finish is still perfect. The trophy finish is worth the upgrade if you intend to use on the street for a long time, and don't mind silver IMO.

This set of rotors was at more than 50% life when I did pads last year, after 55000 miles, sooooo it'll be a while before I need to decide what to move to next.

Last edited by Richbot; 07-17-2020 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #11
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Gotcha! I plan on upgrading to the ST60/St40 like a lot of people, but would like yellow calipers. Ive read that the yellow has a tendency to discolor with extended track use. Can you weigh in on this by any chance?
I have the ST60 in yellow and no heat related discoloration yet. They're mostly black from the brake pad dust so
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 07:16 PM   #12
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I've had my STR40 355mm front kit on the car for coming up on 6? years and 70,000+ miles, including a few track days. The caliper finish is still perfect. The trophy finish is worth the upgrade if you intend to use on the street for a long time, and don't mind silver IMO.

This set of rotors was at more than 50% life when I did pads last year, after 55000 miles, sooooo it'll be a while before I need to decide what to move to next.
nice and lucky, I have a lot less miles on my kit than yours and there is barely a logo on my driver's side caliber lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you don't use them hard, they're fine. I've tracked Buttonwillow and Sonoma without issue. It's just Laguna Seca that tends to cook my brakes a little. No fade at all, but notice the red is a slight different shade after 2 days.
Appreciate 0