BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

07-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #23
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Stoptech ST40 is probably the best "cheap" BBK that's actually worth doing. Otherwise like others have done, upgrade the the rotors and add brake ducts.
      07-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #24
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik View Post
fwiw, i have zero issues with the freakyparts brembo kit, I purchased it knowing it wasn’t a track upgrade as I don’t track this car. i bought it for easy pad changes, weight reduction and asthetics. i’ll be adding the pfc DD rotors to drop more weight.
Yea I'm failing to see what you would need easy pad changes and slightly reduced caliper weight for on the street?

Did you really just want to say you did it for looks, but can't admit to that level of vanity? It's ok, this is a safe space 🤣
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ldats View Post
i asked this directly to one of the ppl at buildjournal when they were hyping up their kit and there was no response.

for ppl after flashing a brand name brake on the street, i guess this is another option.

for actual performance, this is not it.
i think there has been a bit of caliper size wars over the last ten years for aesthetic appearance of performance.
really means nothing, because rotor tech is what makes the biggest difference.

then these kits come out and people want brembos for $1k. there have been too many problems with these kits you would think it would be obvious, but people aren't interested in reading to educate themselves, they just want brembos.
I mean, why else would I create such a thread: to educate ourselves prior to changing a vital safety component on our cars. Stop belittling us and start providing us with information (if you have some).

You say it's common knowledge our OE rotors are the culprit.

Is running an upgraded disc / pad / fluid combo on stock calipers better than upgraded calipers/ pad / fluid on stock rotors?

Can you provide background information on that?

The only thread I could find with proper information is this; BBK vs Stock (on-track performance) - data? https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435221

The Essex guy isn't exactly clear on what is the biggest weakpoint in the OE braking system for track usage, making a case for rotors and calipers, while numerous members point to pads, fluids and lines being sufficient.
The common knowledge is this. Go to the track and do three hard laps on stock brakes and besides getting really bad brake fade on your 3rd lap, get out of the car and put your face 4 inches from your front wheel/tire and your face will burn almost instantly. Ok now do the same thing with a BBK...zero fade even if you threshold brake and come in and put your face 4 inches from the wheel/tire and you will barely feel any additional heat. The stock rotor retains a lot of heat quickly and then just can't do it's job.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 1
s0ldats53.50