BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP MG/SO

AD08R vs PSS, and what size?

Ah yes the age old question.

AD08R or PSS?

Also which size would be best?

My setup:
F 19x9.5 +16
R 19x11 +27

Was thinking of 275/30 F and 295/30 R, would these fit on my wheels without spacers etc?

Also, my driving use. Pretty much daily driving and autocross 1-2/month.

Have not done any track days yet and probably won't this year, maybe toward the end of the summer or next summer. I am still a beginner when it comes to road tracks for sure.

I do want to get stickier tires for the autox but not sure if I need the AD08R or not. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #2
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

Advan 08R hands down!
Switched from PS2 which I presume better than PSS. amazing results! From steering wheel feel to cornering to lane changing, this set leaves Michelin with no comparison, even when wet. And the price the Japanese does give the french a run for their money. Had them for over a month. Totally in love just by staring at them. Any car guys will appreciate seeing those when parked. The down side would be its life time. Have to pass the test of my "right foot".

Size wise if running ZCP you should stick to 245 265 plenty square for most of us. 255 275 will get too wide.

Hope this help your decision making.
      05-11-2015, 03:30 AM   #3
AlpGolcuklu
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I have no idea about tires cause i prefer pzero corsa. 255/35/19 F, 285/30/19 R i use. 275 F will be too wide it can cause some problems
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
magikman2000
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT ESS VT2-650

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaTheCat View Post
Advan 08R hands down!
Switched from PS2 which I presume better than PSS.

PSS are way better than PS2 despite the price.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

PSS is the best. I would only choose something else if you're doing a lot of track days.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Advan 08R hands down!
Switched from PS2 which I presume better than PSS. amazing results! From steering wheel feel to cornering to lane changing, this set leaves Michelin with no comparison, even when wet. And the price the Japanese does give the french a run for their money. Had them for over a month. Totally in love just by staring at them. Any car guys will appreciate seeing those when parked. The down side would be its life time. Have to pass the test of my "right foot".

Size wise if running ZCP you should stick to 245 265 plenty square for most of us. 255 275 will get too wide.

None of this is correct...^^^^^^

The Mich PSS is about the best tire you are going to get for the street. There are a few other tires that will compete with them. The Advan A08R are an excellent tire but if the car is mainly used for the street the PSS is the better choice. Also your tire choice is fine, I am a tad concerned about your ET16 with the 19X9.5, that is really aggressive. Usually that size is in a ET22 offset. The rears are fine.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:56 AM   #7
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Well, to each of their owns. We are not comparing, penny per mile that is going to be left in your pocket. We are talking about "performance" along. I'll be very sad if a car with such potentials will be limited by some brand admirers. All in all, try it yourself before walk into the truth. Michelin is a good tire maker however to get onto same level as advan you'll be looking at some pretty handsome numbers. My opinions don't need to make me put on my flame suit, don't they? :-)
      05-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo
PSS is the best. I would only choose something else if you're doing a lot of track days.
Michelin tires have a "break-in" period. Which means the first couple thousand of miles you don't get much out of them. Don't know if you all are aware of that.
      05-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #9
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Michelin tires have a "break-in" period. Which means the first couple thousand of miles you don't get much out of them. Don't know if you all are aware of that.

Every tire has a break in period. I do agree the PSS had a longer period than other tires but not anywhere near thousands of miles. More like 400-500 miles. The reward was the best tire I've ever purchased by a long shot. You are welcome to continue to run inferior tires because they break in quicker.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaTheCat
Well, to each of their owns. We are not comparing, penny per mile that is going to be left in your pocket. We are talking about "performance" along. I'll be very sad if a car with such potentials will be limited by some brand admirers. All in all, try it yourself before walk into the truth. Michelin is a good tire maker however to get onto same level as advan you'll be looking at some pretty handsome numbers. My opinions don't need to make me put on my flame suit, don't they? :-)
Truthfully street life is a concern as well. I know the ad08 are the best pure performance tire but I need to weigh that against longevity.

As for my sizes, my wheels box me into larger sizes. The front someone mentioned aggressive offsets. The true offset isn't known since it's a forgestar and they just sent me an estimated offset. I told them my setup and planned tire size before they built the wheels (275F and 295R is what I told them).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #11
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Quote:
Advan 08R hands down!

None of this is correct...^^^^^^

The Mich PSS is about the best tire you are going to get for the street. There are a few other tires that will compete with them. The Advan A08R are an excellent tire but if the car is mainly used for the street the PSS is the better choice. Also your tire choice is fine, I am a tad concerned about your ET16 with the 19X9.5, that is really aggressive. Usually that size is in a ET22 offset. The rears are fine.
Should I get 265F then?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
maloo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Check out this review of summer tires:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

265/295, and go for PSS if you can get them, if not Conti DW (for comfort + performance on the side, depends on your priorities)

Last edited by BimmerRookie; 06-04-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #14
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo
Check out this review of summer tires:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.caranddri...rison-test</a>
Considering our autocrosses are actually at the tire rack facility, this is highly relevant. I live about 30 mins from tire rack actually.

It'll be the PSS then in a 265/295 split. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:58 AM   #15
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Bad presumption PS2 can't hold a candle to PSS.
      06-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #16
Inf4life
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

I stopped reading after this.

Quote:
PSS's were put out to replace the PS2. The wear on PS2s is terrible compared to PSS. There's a reason why BMW switched to PSS from PS2 on all M3s.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

PSS is good as a street tire. If you plan on doing any performance driving, the AD08R and other tires in the Extreme Performance class is a night and day difference - closer related to track compound tires than anything you'd use on the street.

I've ran both. The PSS is soft, comfortable for street driving. On track, it gets greasy and loses grip quickly as the heat goes up. The AD08R is much firmer on the street with stiff sidewalls. On track it can last longer and the stiff sidewalls provide more feedback than the squishy PSS tires.

You are comparing tires from two different tire classes... AD08R is Extreme performance and the PSS is Max Performance. In outright grip, the AD08R is better. As a balanced street tire, the PSS is better. PSS uses a harder wearing tire compound so it lasts a lot longer in normal driving. On the street, you will never need anything more than the PSS. But if you do track the car, AD08R provides the extra grip you want.

I originally bought PSS to save money over the AD08R which costs more. I found I didn't really drive as much on the street as I thought and wanted more grip for track use. The AD08R replaced the PSS and I haven't looked back.
      06-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #18
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
PSS is good as a street tire. If you plan on doing any performance driving, the AD08R and other tires in the Extreme Performance class is a night and day difference - closer related to track compound tires than anything you'd use on the street.

I've ran both. The PSS is soft, comfortable for street driving. On track, it gets greasy and loses grip quickly as the heat goes up. The AD08R is much firmer on the street with stiff sidewalls. On track it can last longer and the stiff sidewalls provide more feedback than the squishy PSS tires.

You are comparing tires from two different tire classes... AD08R is Extreme performance and the PSS is Max Performance. In outright grip, the AD08R is better. As a balanced street tire, the PSS is better. PSS uses a harder wearing tire compound so it lasts a lot longer in normal driving. On the street, you will never need anything more than the PSS. But if you do track the car, AD08R provides the extra grip you want.

I originally bought PSS to save money over the AD08R which costs more. I found I didn't really drive as much on the street as I thought and wanted more grip for track use. The AD08R replaced the PSS and I haven't looked back.
That's about right!
      06-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #19
Kung Fu English
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

I do agree with everything you are saying.

I guess the question for me is, does my 6-8 autocrosses per year and maybe 1-2 track days in the future (which I haven't done one yet) justify getting the AD08R? The rest of the time is daily driving.

The cost difference is minimal but the lifespan is probably quite a bit different, giving the ado8r a higher price indirectly.

I went to order PSS today at Tire Rack in person and the 295/30/19 are on national backorder with no known production date. So that's a bummer, don't know what to do about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #20
w0ady
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I tore up a brand new set of Conti DW's at the track a month ago. My plan is to step up from Max to Extreme tires with something like the RE11. For street and just starting off at the track, you should be fine with PSS. Once you get more experience and push the car harder, then consider upgrading.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic273443_2.gif
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #21
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

If you want to spend a little more, why not go for the Pilot Sport Cup 2s? These weigh 4 lbs per tire less vs the Yokos and actually have good wet traction (just don't hydroplane with them) and are fantastic on the track! 200 treadlife is decent. They're a little stiffer/noisier but not unbearably so. Viable for all year in places with no snow or freezing temps, in other states summer only but pretty much goes without saying.
Appreciate 0