BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
UA
///M User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3

Service Indicator Mileage not counting down

I searched, couldn't find anything on this topic. I just had my 1200 mile service. The mileage in the instrument cluster was reset and is now reading 15,000 and a date for the next service. I have driven about 200 miles since that service and the indicator is still showing 15,000 miles until next service. It's not counting down the mileage as I drive.

This is not normal right? My E90 sedan and all my previous E46's always counted down.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

edit: opps read your thread wrong.. :_)

it goes by 1k miles
      03-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
UA
///M User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
edit: opps read your thread wrong.. :_)

it goes by 1k miles

Can anyone second that? Seems strange that it would count down every 1k miles. My E90 330xi counts down every time I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA View Post
Can anyone second that? Seems strange that it would count down every 1k miles. My E90 330xi counts down every time I drive it.
sorry it goes by 100 miles not 1k...
      03-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

It takes your driving style into account as well. Go and do some spirited driving the next couple of days and you'll see it move. Remember, it's monitoring the oil....if you putt around town on a clear sunny day, your oil isn't getting too dirty or breaking down much.......Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
UA
///M User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
sorry it goes by 100 miles not 1k...
Yeah I've got near 400 miles now since the service, still showing 15,000 every time I start the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
It takes your driving style into account as well. Go and do some spirited driving the next couple of days and you'll see it move. Remember, it's monitoring the oil....if you putt around town on a clear sunny day, your oil isn't getting too dirty or breaking down much.......Phil
Thanks Phil, yes I've noticed that in the 330xi. The last 400 miles in my M have been nothing but spirited driving right after break-in, however it still showing 15,000 miles until next oil service. I'm thinking there is some sort of issue and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar. It definitely doesn't seem right.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UA View Post
Yeah I've got near 400 miles now since the service, still showing 15,000 every time I start the car.

Thanks Phil, yes I've noticed that in the 330xi. The last 400 miles in my M have been nothing but spirited driving right after break-in, however it still showing 15,000 miles until next oil service. I'm thinking there is some sort of issue and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar. It definitely doesn't seem right.
You're good......I had my service at 1200 miles and I'm now at 1800 miles. The service indicator is still at 15000.......chalk it up to the new oil they use. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you .............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

opppps ok i waited for mine to change and it used to be 9000 left before change oil it doesnt seem to change until i hit the 1k mark then it will drop to 8000 before the oil change... id ont know but i hope someone can chime in...
      03-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

How does the oil service indicator count down with low miles?

eg, if I did 4k miles per year, will the indicator count down the time over 2 years and flag up for a service at 8k?

or is it purely dependant on how the car is driven as with the e46 which counts down over the use of 500 gallons between services.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Remember, it's monitoring the oil
It does NOT monitor crap buddy . There's no oil condition sensor (there're quite expensive, and only monitor oil viscosity on some big rigs); it's just an algorithm, like all other cars. Reset it at any point and it'd go another 15K miles . And as all such algorithms, it starts to count down slow initially, and quicker when you approach zero.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It does NOT monitor crap buddy . There's no oil condition sensor (there're quite expensive, and only monitor oil viscosity on some big rigs); it's just an algorithm, like all other cars. Reset it at any point and it'd go another 15K miles . And as all such algorithms, it starts to count down slow initially, and quicker when you approach zero.
There IS an oil condition sensor. There is a pdf on this site that explains how it works. Maybe it isn't as advanced as you would like, but it is attempting to measure oil quality on some level.

My car has never gone the full 15k before it told me to change it - because I drive it hard...most days.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
There IS an oil condition sensor. There is a pdf on this site that explains how it works. Maybe it isn't as advanced as you would like, but it is attempting to measure oil quality on some level.

My car has never gone the full 15k before it told me to change it - because I drive it hard...most days.
+1 .....do a little homework on this before you post. This is BMW #8 for me and they have all worked the same ................Phil
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There IS an oil condition sensor.
I suggest you educate yourself before posting such nonsense (stating facts based on something you remember reading). I dare you to find the non-existent sensor you're talking about (have fun finding it ). If there was such a sensor, you wouldn't have to reset anything after changing the oil. What you probably remember reading was what BMW calls 'condition based service', which is the algorithm that ESTIMATES when mechanical components need service. Signing off this thread for obvious reasons .
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I suggest you educate yourself before posting such nonsense (stating facts based on something you remember reading). I dare you to find the non-existent sensor you're talking about (have fun finding it ). If there was such a sensor, you wouldn't have to reset anything after changing the oil. What you probably remember reading was what BMW calls 'condition based service', which is the algorithm that ESTIMATES when mechanical components need service. Signing off this thread for obvious reasons .
LOL

GregW already linked you the pdf in another thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654

The sensor is the same sensor that measure oil temp and level...it is an all in one. If that document isn't accurate, then we should remove it from the site don't you think?

Here is an excerpt for you:

The oil condition sensor measures the following variables:

Engine oil temperature
Oil level
Engine oil quality

...and another:

The oil condition sensor consists of 2 cylindrical condensers. The condensers are mounted above one another. 2 metal tubes are inserted one into the other to serve as electrodes. The engine oil is used as a dielectric medium between the electrodes.

Note! Explanation of the terms 'dielectric' and 'permittivity'.

A dielectric is defined as a non-conductive material in an electrical field. The electrical field is split by an insulator. The permittivity (Latin: permittere = permit, let through) is also referred to as the dielectric conductance. The permittivity specifies the degree to which materials allow electrical fields to pass. The factor indicates by how much the voltage at a capacitor drops when a dielectric, non-conducting material is arranged between the capacitor plates.

Like I said in my previous post, it may not be as advanced as you would like, but it is an input into the algorithm of determining when your oil needs to be changed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #15
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

^^^ How dare you confuse people with facts.....

OP as the others mentioned it does count down. Having said that, I had a glitch with mine and it did not count down at all after the break in oil service. Had to go back to the dealer and they fixed it (I had put on about 8000 KM's). Haven't had an issue since.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
Blissnite
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Same problem

I have experienced the same problem as you do, i drive E90 2005. I just bought it last month and my service indicator stay idle on 7000km ... i've driven it for almost 3500km and the service indicator still stay on 7000km.

Then i got problem with my oil level sensor which asking for oil top up again and again (although i checked there is no oil leak anywhere and i did top up when the computer said so). I went to the dealer and they had my oil level sensor replaced. When i ask them about the idle service indicator, they said that it is because of my oil level sensor is malfunctioning then the service indicator did not counting down.

But after i replace it, i drove my car for more than 200km, yet it still stay on the 7000km!!

Anyone have the suggestion or an answer to our problem? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

If this were true, wouldn't the service indicator reset itself when you put fresh oil in?

Likewise, if you had the car serviced with low quality 10w30 oil (in theory) would the service indicator call for an early oil change?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #18
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
If this were true, wouldn't the service indicator reset itself when you put fresh oil in?
No, because that is not how BMW designed it to work. The system is designed to be reset any time you add new oil. It is not designed to detect new oil. Also, as I said, the interval is not based solely on this, fairly simple, sensor. The sensor is merely one measurement that it takes into account.

Quote:
Likewise, if you had the car serviced with low quality 10w30 oil (in theory) would the service indicator call for an early oil change?
If the low quality oil resulted in higher levels of conductive material in the oil, then the sensor should communicate that to whatever governing algorithm is monitoring it resulting in a reduction in the miles to the next oil change. Of course, I have yet to see any document that defines the specifics of the monitoring or the algorithm, so exactly how it will work is speculation.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #19
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No, because that is not how BMW designed it to work. The system is designed to be reset any time you add new oil. It is not designed to detect new oil. Also, as I said, the interval is not based solely on this, fairly simple, sensor. The sensor is merely one measurement that it takes into account.

If the low quality oil resulted in higher levels of conductive material in the oil, then the sensor should communicate that to whatever governing algorithm is monitoring it resulting in a reduction in the miles to the next oil change. Of course, I have yet to see any document that defines the specifics of the monitoring or the algorithm, so exactly how it will work is speculation.
I hit this thread by accident (signed off of it because of you), and can't believe the BS you're spewing man. Not that I think anybody here believe your story full of contradictions, but how about starting with WHERE this elusive sensor is and its part number?

I'm off this thread for good now, as I'm putting you in my ignore list, so won't read any of this crap by accident again. You should write a novel man. Good day.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
SlowLeak
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS San Marino Blue

I found out something interesting after my last dealer oil change. The display you get at startup is the distance to your next service not necessarily your next oil change.

Right after my oil change the display read 9000 miles which I thought was a bit odd. If you go into the iDrive menu and look for Info Sources and then Car Info (this is on an '08, not sure where it would be on newer iDrives) you can get a listing of the service items such as brake fluid, front brakes, rear brakes and oil change. They will probably list a green check mark next to them. If you scroll through them though it will list the actual mileage to the next service. In my case the front brakes were due in 9000 miles. Oil was at the standard 14000 miles. So basically the startup display will show the lowest number.

That was last fall and it has only gone down to 8000 miles since then but I'm a lot easier on the brakes in the winter.

As for the mysterious oil sensor, I do remember a thread a while ago about this and I don't know if there was ever an explanation for what it actually does. All I know is that I do mid-interval oil changes and the countdown for the oil service doesn't change that I can tell before and after the change. My only guess is that it might speed up the countdown if it senses something funny (like metal) in the oil. But that is only a guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLeak View Post
I found out something interesting after my last dealer oil change. The display you get at startup is the distance to your next service not necessarily your next oil change.

Right after my oil change the display read 9000 miles which I thought was a bit odd. If you go into the iDrive menu and look for Info Sources and then Car Info (this is on an '08, not sure where it would be on newer iDrives) you can get a listing of the service items such as brake fluid, front brakes, rear brakes and oil change. They will probably list a green check mark next to them. If you scroll through them though it will list the actual mileage to the next service. In my case the front brakes were due in 9000 miles. Oil was at the standard 14000 miles. So basically the startup display will show the lowest number.

That was last fall and it has only gone down to 8000 miles since then but I'm a lot easier on the brakes in the winter.

As for the mysterious oil sensor, I do remember a thread a while ago about this and I don't know if there was ever an explanation for what it actually does. All I know is that I do mid-interval oil changes and the countdown for the oil service doesn't change that I can tell before and after the change. My only guess is that it might speed up the countdown if it senses something funny (like metal) in the oil. But that is only a guess.
Yes, it indicates the distance to the next service. So if your oil needs to be changed in 8k miles, and you don't need any other service until 10k, it will read 8k.

There is a pdf on this site, linked above through another post that explains how the oil condition sensor works. All you have to do to find it directly is use the google search function for "oil condition sensor".
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

I am assuming it's still based on the very simple method that was used in the e46. It simply measured fuel usage. Nothing more scientific, just the use of 500 gallons.

The harder you drive the quicker the next service due to high fuel consumption. Simple
Appreciate 0