BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Door ding and chip - Advice needed (UPDATED)

Just happened yesterday. They got me right on the ridge of the passenger door. It is a bad dent and chip. What do you suggest is the best method to get this repaired? Just take it straight to the body shop?

It is hard to tell in the images. But the dent is on the ridge, then there is a small crease that extend and inch above and below the chip.

**Update after a PDR guy removed the dent and I did two layers of Dr Color Chip**

The color is a little off (which they warn about on light cars) and I'll probably do one more layer.

1/7/14 - I did another layer. Here are the pics. I'll probably do more layer than be done. Then I will wait a few weeks and so some light polishing and see if that helps with the color a little bit. Color is still off, but you can't tell from a few feet away as you can see in the third pic (which was my goal for now).

Straight on:

From the top looking down:

From a few feet away:

Last edited by 2 SLOW; 01-07-2014 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Oo vvR3cKz oO 619
GEARS OF WAR 3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N54 E93

put a fathead junior and move on with your life

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
That looks pretty nasty, down to the primer. You can try PDR and touch up paint, but honestly I think a respray is the only way. You want to make sure to deal with that ASAP to prevent potential rust.
Thought about PDR but since it is on the ridge of the door, I don't think that is an option
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Body shop and repaint because this can crumble and rust !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
carguy750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Just happened yesterday. They got me right on the ridge of the passenger door. It is a bad dent and chip. What do you suggest is the best method to get this repaired? Just take it straight to the body shop?

It is hard to tell in the images. But the dent is on the ridge, then there is a small crease that extend and inch above and below the chip.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
It looks bad because of the paint transfer. Short of a respray and PDR, try rubbing Meguiars 105 compound on it with a microfiber towel. It will be hard to notice once the transfer is off. Then put touch up paint lightly on the areas that your paint chipped.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williyam View Post
It looks bad because of the paint transfer. Short of a respray and PDR, try rubbing Meguiars 105 compound on it with a microfiber towel. It will be hard to notice once the transfer is off.
There is no paint transfer....

It is that deep of a chip.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Body shop and repaint because this can crumble and rust !

This is what I'm starting to think. Probably $500 or so?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Depending on your deductible, i'd probably turn this in to insurance. Mine is $500 and i'd probably get the door resprayed.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
carguy750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW
Quote:
Originally Posted by williyam View Post
It looks bad because of the paint transfer. Short of a respray and PDR, try rubbing Meguiars 105 compound on it with a microfiber towel. It will be hard to notice once the transfer is off.
There is no paint transfer....

It is that deep of a chip.
Wow that's insane, you must have parked next to a jackass
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SLOW View Post
This is what I'm starting to think. Probably $500 or so?
In the US...yes probably $500...here in Belgium it's probably $500 x2
Best thing is... go to BMW body shop because this is a ///M3, thinking on the color match

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
In the US...yes probably $500...here in Belgium it's probably $500 x2
Best thing is... go to BMW body shop because this is a ///M3, thinking on the color match
Yes, I already texted my buddy at the dealer. Gonna set something up this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I already texted my buddy at the dealer. Gonna set something up this weekend.
Spot on my friend !

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

I'd start with just a BMW official touch-up paint kit and carefully apply several layers, you might be surprised at how acceptable it will be, you will always be able to see it, but at 6 feet away I promise you it wont be noticeable to anyone else but you.

Respraying the door is a terrible idea, first of all because it will always be a losing battle, you WILL get another ding at some point. Secondly, that's a lot of money to spend for one small ding. Try touch-up kit first and see how it works as a first step anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky
I'd start with just a BMW official touch-up paint kit and carefully apply several layers, you might be surprised at how acceptable it will be, you will always be able to see it, but at 6 feet away I promise you it wont be noticeable to anyone else but you.

Respraying the door is a terrible idea, first of all because it will always be a losing battle, you WILL get another ding at some point. Secondly, that's a lot of money to spend for one small ding. Try touch-up kit first and see how it works as a first step anyway.
+1

I have a similar chip/ ding on the passenger crease as well.

Pdr'd and touch up paint using the dr Colorchip system to minimize everything.

Didn't get it out completely but it is minimized. Now I hardly notice it

If you respray the door by itself... The color will always be off by at least a tiny tiny shade when matched. Since it's the door the mismatch will be more noticeable.

If you do it the proper way which is respray plus color blend the fender, door, and lower side skirt... Then you risk overspray, clear coat imperfections, and paint drip... Also the proper way is gonna be $$$
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaM3 View Post
+1

I have a similar chip/ ding on the passenger crease as well.

Pdr'd and touch up paint using the dr Colorchip system to minimize everything.

Didn't get it out completely but it is minimized. Now I hardly notice it

If you respray the door by itself... The color will always be off by at least a tiny tiny shade when matched. Since it's the door the mismatch will be more noticeable.

If you do it the proper way which is respray plus color blend the fender, door, and lower side skirt... Then you risk overspray, clear coat imperfections, and paint drip... Also the proper way is gonna be $$$

They were able to PDR the ridge? My dealer said their guy usually can't do the ridge. Do you have pics of how it turned out?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post

I'd be ok with this if the dent wasn't there. The fact that it is dented makes it much more of an eyesore.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd be ok with this if the dent wasn't there. The fact that it is dented makes it much more of an eyesore.
Maybe you could try one of those "ding doctors" or whatever they're called in your local market, they can pull out and smooth lots of door dings.

I had the almost exact same ding on my E90 Space Gray, though it wasn't dented just really bad paint chip loss. I used touch-up kit, now I don't even notice it at all.

Just me personally of course, but I would only get a body shop involved if major body work was to be done, not a simple door ding (ok yours may be worse than a simple door ding).

Previous poster is right, respraying door you might see color difference of entire door against rest of car.

I would try "ding doctor" repair guy, then touch-up kit, u'd be all-in for about $100-$150 tops, then if you really don't like result, you can body shop it for $$$.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
Maybe you could try one of those "ding doctors" or whatever they're called in your local market, they can pull out and smooth lots of door dings.

I had the almost exact same ding on my E90 Space Gray, though it wasn't dented just really bad paint chip loss. I used touch-up kit, now I don't even notice it at all.

Just me personally of course, but I would only get a body shop involved if major body work was to be done, not a simple door ding (ok yours may be worse than a simple door ding).

Previous poster is right, respraying door you might see color difference of entire door against rest of car.

I would try "ding doctor" repair guy, then touch-up kit, u'd be all-in for about $100-$150 tops, then if you really don't like result, you can body shop it for $$$.
I'd like to see how PandaM3's ding came out first.

Door respray/blend is only $650 through the dealer...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to see how PandaM3's ding came out first.

Door respray/blend is only $650 through the dealer...
BMW Official Paint Touch Up Kit is only $30, I'd start there and if not satisfied, drop the $650 I guess, but I suppose it depends on your personal value of money and what else you could do with $650.

Last edited by YolkyPalky; 12-17-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Not to add salt on the wound or anything but I thought paying near $100 for this metal pellet struck was already bad. If I was in your case, I'd do an OEM touch up paint and save that $600 paint job for something else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Not to add salt on the wound or anything but I thought paying near $100 for this metal pellet struck was already bad. If I was in your case, I'd do an OEM touch up paint and save that $600 paint job for something else.
I'm not too concerned about the price. I'm more concerned about it looking correct.

I contacted a local company "Dent Dogs" and if they feel that they can fix the dent, I'll go that route. I also ordered the Dr Color Chip touch up kit. I just don't know if the dent can be pulled and if the touch up kit I ordered will be able to be "built up" enough to fill.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
2 SLOW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Had a PDR come yesterday to work on it....Dr Color Chip is coming in Saturday

Last edited by 2 SLOW; 12-19-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0