BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

11-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Clay in clear bra, removal

Okay so what is the secret to getting your clay bar out of the edge where you accidently ran the clay over it and now you have a ridge of clay. I can't get it undone with another pass of the clay bar and the micro fiber towel only gets a bit off. It's not under the clear bra, just right next to the edge. I'm afraid to use a solvent for fear of ungluing the clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Okay so what is the secret to getting your clay bar out of the edge where you accidently ran the clay over it and now you have a ridge of clay. I can't get it undone with another pass of the clay bar and the micro fiber towel only gets a bit off. It's not under the clear bra, just right next to the edge. I'm afraid to use a solvent for fear of ungluing the clear bra.
An air compressor might help. That usually works for me in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Try a non-abrasive polish, like Klasse AIO.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

your screwed. it aint coming out if its under the edge. if its just on the edge only, then you should be al\ble to just use your finger nail and get it.
      11-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
333sp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
What I think you're saying is you have clay (same as dirt or whatever) stuck to the cross section of adhesive on the film...which is about 2 mils thick....very very thin....right?

First try rubbing alc. (70 or 90%) and just run it along edge with fingernail....scratching that micro edge to try and get it off

If doesn't work do same with an adhesive remover / solvent trying to be careful not to lift edge.

If that doesn't work you're likely going to need to remove contaminated edge...find a REALLY GOOD clearfilm installer who has REALLY GOOD knife skills and have him lay a piece of tape across as guide for sliver to be removed (so cut line is smooth and you're both on same page as far as exactly what s to be removed before it is cut) and trim it off.

Or try that yourself after a lot of practice controlling depth of cut on a scrap piece of painted car body....USE AN OLFA BRAND KNIFE (or generic sized OLFA blades anyway that will fit in whatever ravor knife body)...they are about 100x sharper than any Exacto or other blade that I know of anyway.... very sharp allows you to control depth easily... try cutting at a fairly parallel angle, it isn't that hard once you master it. Keys are 1-tape for guide to make smooth-line cut and 2 - Olfa blade

Hopefully wont get to that

Wish I could help, I could fix in 5 min.
Appreciate 0