BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW
Closed Thread

08-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette

PROcede 335i vs STOCK 6.0 GTO-the real resuls INSIDE!!

Well, most of you knew that this was happening this past weekend. First off, I must apologize because we didn't get NEARLY as many runs in as we would have liked. Also, kudos to Matt (Sniz) for driving all the way down from MD. Also, thanks to Paul (luckywales) for coming out as well! Unfortunately, the po po were out in FORCE.....I mean they were ALL over the place. So needless to say the situation was less than ideal for racing. We did the best we could though. We only were able to get 2 vids/races, and unfortunately they were both pretty dark and hard to see. I'm going to have my buddy look at them and see if there's anything he can do, and if so we'll post them up.

So here are the semi official results, lol. Best we could do fellas. I'm sure Sniz and luckywales will chime in too. I didn't have a chance to run against luckywales's stock 335, we figured with the limited amount of time...we'd better just get right to the nitty gritty. Both runs were done with a passenger to even things up as best we could. Me (205 lbs) and my fiance' (135 or so) in the GTO. Matt (180 ish?) and Paul (165ish?) in the 335i.

1st run from 20 or so in 1st gear. I honk it off and reacted faster and jumped out ahead, I think Matt may have hit the rev limiter in 1st (I'm sure he can correct me if I'm wrong) and we run it out into 4th with me a few cars ahead.

2nd run from a 40 or so roll in 2nd. I honk it off and it's dead even through 2nd, 3rd gear Matt inches on me slightly, and as soon as I went into 4th I pulled ahead and shut it down fairly immediately (probably 105-110mph or so). I was scared to go any faster than that with all the po po around. We probably saw at least 20 cops out that night.

After that we tried one more run, and I think he hit the rev limiter in 1st, and quit.....good thing too because about a minute later we realized there was a cop trailing us. After that we cruised and a few minutes later the cop decided he didn't want to wait around any longer and sped off in front of us. CLOSE call to say the least!! We decided that since the night was young, and we couldn't race anymore, we might as well grab a few beers. So we had a few brews, and some nachos mmmmmm and shot the **** for a while.

Matt and I both thought the races went down pretty much as we thought they would. The Procede 335i may have a slight advantage through 3rd gear, but in the higher gears and as speeds increase over 100mph the LS2 will pull ahead. I can't say how far ahead I would be.....I'm guessing by 130+mph I may have had 2-3 cars. Hopefully the next time we can get some better data for you guys. But.....until then, I'm putting my flamesuit on NOW! haahhaha
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Arent there any 1/4 mile tracks you guys could have headed to? Street races mean nothing. A true race only involves a timeslip.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
speedfreak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335, '08 LS3 Corvette

There are.......however, we were more interested in the potential of the actual cars, not the skill of the drivers. That being said, we wanted to do some roll races to effectively take driver skill out of the equation as much as possible. People have been wondering WHICH is the faster car....we were simply performing an experiment so to speak. A track day IS in the cards in the near future though!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak81 View Post
There are.......however, we were more interested in the potential of the actual cars, not the skill of the drivers. That being said, we wanted to do some roll races to effectively take driver skill out of the equation as much as possible. People have been wondering WHICH is the faster car....we were simply performing an experiment so to speak. A track day IS in the cards in the near future though!
I hear what youre saying but I dont think its fair to state that one car is faster than the other when skill has a major play. As you stated in your first post, the other driver hit redline in 1st. Who knows how his shifting is and with a 335, you shouldnt be getting near redline when shifting, more around 6500. Not true for your NA car which should be run to redline.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I hear what youre saying but I dont think its fair to state that one car is faster than the other when skill has a major play. As you stated in your first post, the other driver hit redline in 1st. Who knows how his shifting is and with a 335, you shouldnt be getting near redline when shifting, more around 6500. Not true for your NA car which should be run to redline.
very true. I hit the limiter because we started too high in 1st for my car. By the time I looked back down at the tach after the 3rd honk it had already shot up and smacked 7k. Normally shift 6300-6400 or so.

Found 40mph to be a better start point in 2nd. Put me around 4k.
      08-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Found 40mph to be a better start point in 2nd. Put me around 4k.
You had been in 1st when starting from 40mph?? Wow, you got balls. 2nd is definitely optimal at that point, plus one less shift. Why not try a roll from 5mph and 20mph?

Regardless, is there any mods done to the GTO?
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread