BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
PorscheRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

Jerez black water spots after rain on dusty car

Bought the car about a month and a half ago. E90 Jerez black daily driver. The dealership didn't kill the paint with swirls surprisingly enough. I've been out of the detailing game for a while. I take care of my wife's Volvo with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Mother's FX Synwax which works fine for her car and the wax seems to hold up for a long time.

About a week after buying the M3, I had Premier do the whole front end with clear bra. When that was done, I used the 3M glaze and FX Synwax (wax only on the clear bra). The car looked very good. A few swirls in the right light but great in sunlight.

I let the car get pretty dusty and then we had a slight rain the other day that was just enough to get the car wet but not enough to wash the dust off. That water dried in the sun and the car looked like that for about 2 days before I got a chance to wash it.

I now have what looks like leapoard print all over the surface of the car including the clear bra.

What is the best way to remove these marks? Can it be done by hand or will a buffer be necessary?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

I have had to deal with this before on several customers vehicles in the past, and I had positive results doing the following

What I did to eliminate these light water spots was use a rotary polisher and a finishing pad with a light polish and set it at about 1800 rpm. I was able to finesse these water spots out, and then follow up with Plexus, Brillianize or any premium product made for PPF (Paint Protection Film) care.

If you do not feel comfortable with a rotary polisher, consult a professional so that you do not destroy the film.

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
PorscheRacer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Sedan

Thank you. So you think a buffer is the only way?

What about on the paint itself?

It's hard to believe dust and rainwater left these marks. It is going to be tough for me to own a black daily driver!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Your welcome....

Yes from my experience a rotary polisher is the only way without marring or scratching the PPF film.

Same goes with the paint, you will have to try first with either a PC or a Flex D/A with a foam pad. If the defects still do not come out of the paint, you will need to bump up to a rotary polisher and foam pad system depending on the severity.

I have seen these water spots on vehicles over and over in my 23 years of detailing. Often they are so hard to remove that we have to start out with a wool pad on the first pass and then work up with foam pads from there.

I try to tell my customers that water spots act like a magnifying glass when on the vehicles paint surface. Combine the water spots and the sun and before you know it the chemical makeup of the water and the heat of the sun (causes the water to get hot) has etched or damaged the paint in no time at all. Especially on black or darker color cars, its unfortunate but paints are very susceptible to this type of damage. The good thing is that most of the time these surface defects are reversible.

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 05-11-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing View Post
Your welcome....

Yes from my experience a rotary polisher is the only way without marring or scratching the PPF film.

Same goes with the paint, you will have to try first with either a PC or a Flex D/A with a foam pad. If the defects still do not come out of the paint, you will need to bump up to a rotary polisher and foam pad system depending on the severity.

I have seen these water spots on vehicles over and over in my 23 years of detailing. Often they are so hard to remove that we have to start out with a wool pad on the first pass and then work up with foam pads from there.

I try to tell my customers that water spots act like a magnifying glass when on the vehicles paint surface. Combine the water spots and the sun and before you know it the chemical makeup of the water and the heat of the sun (causes the water to get hot) has etched or damaged the paint in no time at all. Especially on black or darker color cars, its unfortunate but paints are very susceptible to this type of damage. The good thing is that most of the time these surface defects are reversible.

couldn't have said it any better!

however you could give Chemical Guy's Waterspot remover a shot. it has worked prety good for me in the past on fresh hard water spots. Also, correct me if im wrong, but aa solution of vinegar and water does the same thing as the water spot remover, however i would rather use a dedicated product.
Appreciate 0