BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

01-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
svencz
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Unhappy Buzzing in the gauges above 70 mph

Hi,

three weeks ago I got a 2011 E90 M3. It's been great so far (still only at 750 miles though ;-), but since the day one I have one problem. When I reach a certain speed (somewhere between 60 and 80 mph) I get a loud buzzing noise coming from the dashboard at the driver's size. It sounds like it comes from behind the gauges.

It doesn't depend on the road quality, gear and touching/holding any parts of the dashboard makes no difference.

Any idea what might be going on?

Last edited by svencz; 01-26-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I have that too on my '08, now that you mentioned me. It doesn't do it all the time though. For the life of me, I have no freaking idea what the hell it could be. It sounds like if we had a cable-driven speedometer; remember those? First time I hear of that noise from somebody ehse, so glat I'm not the only one. But the car is so damn noisy, it quickly gets drown out by road noise, so it doesn't bother me that much anymore.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svencz View Post
Hi,

Buzzing in the gauges above 70mpg
No worries for me - I've never seen even remotely close to 20, let alone 70!!!
      01-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
svencz
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It sounds like if we had a cable-driven speedometer
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
svencz
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep

The service guys haven't figured out the problem by removing the gauges. If you have any idea/suggestion, please share it now otherwise my whole dashboard is getting dismantled tomorrow.

I'm really worried that if they take it apart something else will break, but unfortunately the buzzing is too noisy to bear ..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm really worried that if they take it apart something else will break, but unfortunately the buzzing is too noisy to bear ..
Please let me know what dealer found man; hope they find the issue. However, I wouldn't want my dash removed without identifying the noise first. It's incredible how some noises telegraph through. Once I was poking at the moonroof like crazy due to a very annoying buzzing sound, and I felt so stupid when by accident found out it was something on the passenger seat. I was thinking how the hell could I mistake the sound, but it happens. The hardest part of quieting a rattle is finding the source. Once you do, the rest is usually easy. And even if there's something behind the dash (likely), it could be quite elusive without driving the car. They'd have to tighten everything, zip-tie any possible harness causing the issue, etc. If they don't take the time to systematically check EVERYTHING, you're probably going to have more noises than before (hope I'm wrong on that). Good luck man.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3 (6MT)

Quote:
The service guys haven't figured out the problem by removing the gauges. If you have any idea/suggestion, please share it now otherwise my whole dashboard is getting dismantled tomorrow.

Curious to know if you found the root cause for this buzzing noise. I have a 2009 E92 M3 and have had the exact same problem for a while now. A buzzing noise emanates from the dashboard usually starting at around 60mph and becomes very noticeable at 80mph. It happens regardless of engine speed or which gear I am in. My only guess is that it might be caused by wind vibrating something at speed.

I mentioned it to the dealer when I had my car in for service to replace the windshield a few months ago. When they had the windshield out of the car they put in some extra foam/insulation between the gap in the dash and windshield hoping that would fix it. Ultimately it didn’t and I can’t locate the exact source of the sound. I’ve put pressure on all the dash panels while driving to isolate it, but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
svencz
Enlisted Member
Czech_Republic
Rep

The reason was an insufficient sealing of the windshield. The dealer removed the windshield, replaced the sealing and the noise is all gone. Both me and their techs though the noise was coming from the dashboard, only after they removed the dashboard completely and were still able to reproduce the buzz they figured out it was the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
rockstarm3
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: JEREZ BLACK E90 BMW M3 6MT

another reason could be the two screws right under through the steering wheel above the gauges - mine ended up becoming very loose and rattled and then funny story, i shifted from 1-2 and it popped out - yea i was running 98 octane, it's the shiznit
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #10
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarm3 View Post
another reason could be the two screws right under through the steering wheel above the gauges - mine ended up becoming very loose and rattled and then funny story, i shifted from 1-2 and it popped out - yea i was running 98 octane, it's the shiznit
Are those screws easy to access/check? I still have the buzzing and it does sound like it's coming from around the gauges.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
rockstarm3
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: JEREZ BLACK E90 BMW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDriver View Post
Are those screws easy to access/check? I still have the buzzing and it does sound like it's coming from around the gauges.
yes. easy.hex nuts. although

quick diagram below - sorry no images...x's are the screws arrows are pointing right above the gauges... 0's are the speedometer and rev gauge respectively...it is outside the plastic and right above the gauges.

x x
^ ^
0 0
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Forgot about this noise. At least in my car, it's a winter noise .

And did you mean windshield gasket and/or sealant? Never seen or heard about windshield 'insulation' .
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
cameltoes
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2011 328 xdrive

Daily and ELp did you get this noise sorted out?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoes View Post
Nope, and never lost any sleep over it . It rarely made it, and wasn't constant. And it's been a while since I remember hearing it. Are you still hearing yours???
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
DailyDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameltoes View Post
Nope. Checked those speedo screws and they were tight and the windshield was replaced due to a rock chip, with the buzzing there before and after. So I'm still trying to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

I have a buzzing/rattling the sounds like it comes from the dash or a-pillar, and I am pretty sure it's the mirrors. They creak when I open/close the door.
Appreciate 0