BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Mporium BMW

01-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #45
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
That sounds terrible. That'd be enough right there to convince me otherwise!
Yea im working on a few alternatives right now.....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #46
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Um, removing headliner and BOTH windshields? My previous car's (a Mini Cooper S) exterior roof got damaged due to a break in (one week after I bought it), so the body shop had to have the sunroof removed to repair it. They took it to BMW of Honolulu to remove the sunroof. What happened next is the stuff of nightmares.

In the process of removing the sunroof, BMW caused I would estimate $7,000 worth of collateral damage in the interior/exterior of my car. The damage ranged from punctures in the leather seats, scrapes/scratches on almost every single interior body panel, scratched tint, broken interior trim pieces, broken clips, loose bolts, crooked headliner, layer of dust throughout interior, etc....

And that was just the interior. They backed into something, scratched the bumpers, exterior trim pieces didn't fit good, etc. Apparently they were hoping I wouldn't notice the several thousand dollars worth of damage because they didn't say a word when I picked it up. To make a long story short, they ended up replacing all of the items they damaged, which was cool and it all worked out in the end.

And keep in mind this was the DEALER that worked on my car, and they ONLY removed the sunroof. Can you imagine what MORE is involved in removing the entire roof??

Now my experience was probably far from typcial, but even if 10% of what happened to me happens to you, you will not be a happy camper.

The decision is yours my friend, but make an informed one. And remember, if any collateral damage happens, the insurance company will not pay for it.
Sorry to hear your trouble with your Mini. I think Dealer is the keyword here. The wrench monkeys that they hire are not qualified for the job most of the time. I have taken down the headliner in the E9X multiple times and have not had screwed up anything yet. *knock on wood*
      02-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #47
camaross305
Rep

Ok so i talked to a BMW body shop who fixed a few M6 carbon roofs. He said its not a big deal at all...He said the roof is hardly a structual component. He said its a pretty straight forward job.

HMMMMM.......

User name lmims526894rou

Or contact me at chrism9551@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #48
camaross305
Rep

I dunno after talking i may go through with it.....

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #49
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
Um, removing headliner and BOTH windshields? My previous car's (a Mini Cooper S) exterior roof got damaged due to a break in (one week after I bought it), so the body shop had to have the sunroof removed to repair it. They took it to BMW of Honolulu to remove the sunroof. What happened next is the stuff of nightmares.

In the process of removing the sunroof, BMW caused I would estimate $7,000 worth of collateral damage in the interior/exterior of my car. The damage ranged from punctures in the leather seats, scrapes/scratches on almost every single interior body panel, scratched tint, broken interior trim pieces, broken clips, loose bolts, crooked headliner, layer of dust throughout interior, etc....

And that was just the interior. They backed into something, scratched the bumpers, exterior trim pieces didn't fit good, etc. Apparently they were hoping I wouldn't notice the several thousand dollars worth of damage because they didn't say a word when I picked it up. To make a long story short, they ended up replacing all of the items they damaged, which was cool and it all worked out in the end.

And keep in mind this was the DEALER that worked on my car, and they ONLY removed the sunroof. Can you imagine what MORE is involved in removing the entire roof??

Now my experience was probably far from typcial, but even if 10% of what happened to me happens to you, you will not be a happy camper.

The decision is yours my friend, but make an informed one. And remember, if any collateral damage happens, the insurance company will not pay for it.
Yup it's amazing what kind of shit dealers pull on customers... I won't go on to bitch about what I've experienced after owning a BMW for just less than two years...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #50
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Well first you have to remove your headliner.

Then remove your front and rear windshield by pulling out the rubber seals that hold them on.

Then remove each of the roof sills by lifting the "doors" on each side of the roof to expose and remove the 2 torque bolts on each side. These are the same points you mount ski racks etc. on. Then he said it will expose about 50 tiny tack welds on each side. You have to semi drill those to loosen the tack welds. After that you can remove the roof. Then just grind and smooth out the welds for a smooth surface.

Apply the adhesive to the roof and set it into place. He said with the OEM roof it will pretty much fit right into place and when you place the roof sills back on it will straighten out the roof and put it exactly where it needs to be.
This process sounds correct.

I remember reading a Carbon Roof install thread on a Z4 site. Someone had posted an install on a Z4 M coupe and had pictures. Although a different car, the process sounds identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
Ok so i talked to a BMW body shop who fixed a few M6 carbon roofs. He said its not a big deal at all...He said the roof is hardly a structual component. He said its a pretty straight forward job.

HMMMMM.......
He is right. The actual carbon panel is not a structual component. Once you pull the skin off, you will see the braces that give the roof rigidity.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #51
camaross305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
This process sounds correct.

I remember reading a Carbon Roof install thread on a Z4 site. Someone had posted an install on a Z4 M coupe and had pictures. Although a different car, the process sounds identical.

He is right. The actual carbon panel is not a structual component. Once you pull the skin off, you will see the braces that give the roof rigidity.
Thanks for the pm by the way

Yea it seems like its a very easy and str8 foward process. The only difference between the M3 and z4 is that the M has a few tack welds to hold the steel roof in place instead of sealant. They easily drill out apparently

User name lmims526894rou

Appreciate 0