BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
pride355
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY11 E92 M3 Coupe

Akrapovic Mid.Pipe + OEM Muffler ??

Has anyone tried to mix Akrapovic mid-pipe with OEM cat back? I know that the Akra. mid Pipe can't be connected to OEM rear muffler BUT it should be done by an expert exhaust shop.

I have already bought Akrapovic Evo full system but I'm little annoyed from the noise. At first, I removed the Akra. mid pipe and just left the Akra slip-on BUT the extra power from the exhaust system is coming from removing the primary cats. So I just put back the Akra. mid-pipe and will use it for a while till the end of summer. I'm happy with the power gains of this set-up (Akrapovic evo + tune)

However, at the end of the summer,I either I put the OEM mid. section back on the car but remove the primary cats and use it with slip-on OR just put back the OEM rear muffler and use it with Akra. mid-pipe in order to get best gain from eliminating the primary cats + tune for catless (primary ones not secondary) set-up.

The reason of all of this hassle? I find the Akrapovic Evo. system to be too loud.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

You do NOT want a muffler shop screwing with a titanium exhaust. galvanic corrosion is a pain with titanium.

You want an adaptor made of titanium cold swagged or pressed onto the exhaust after trimming off a bit.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
pride355
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
You do NOT want a muffler shop screwing with a titanium exhaust. galvanic corrosion is a pain with titanium.

You want an adaptor made of titanium cold swagged or pressed onto the exhaust after trimming off a bit.
Kit,

Thank you for your reply. I knew you would chime in
The problem is I'm not happy with the sound of Akra. EVO which I had paid close to 4900 Euro (incl. VAT). So I don't want to buy another exhaust unless I sell mine which is very difficult to do in Istanbul because there are maybe only 20 M3s.

On the other hand, I'm very happy with the power increase by Akra. EVO and lightness of the exhaust. The design and welding of the exhaust is work of art.

You are right about your advise not to mess with the titanium. So I left with 2 options (unless I sell the exhaust):

1- I just put back OEM mid-section but remove primary cats. This will result less noise hopefully and won't lose power. Downside is the OEM mid-section won't be original anymore.

2- I just put back OEM mid-section and live with it
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
pride355
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Kit,

I was checking Turner Test Pipes from their website. How loud will they be w/ my Akra. Slip-on? Is there any discount from 399 USD as far as you know?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
kitw
Colonel
Rep

No, I haven't really seen them discount but you can always call and ask

What makes you unhappy about the sound? I think it's pretty mellow except on cold start.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
pride355
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, I haven't really seen them discount but you can always call and ask

What makes you unhappy about the sound? I think it's pretty mellow except on cold start.
Kit,

With the Akra mid-pipes, I find the exhaust note to be little rough. It sounds exotic under 3000 rpm but little rough. Also, when the windows are closed, I can feel the vibration inside the car. the bassy sound causes that vibration/resonance probably. Without the mid-pipes, I like the slip-on sound better which is too quiet for most.

What I would love to have is the sound of the slip-on without the primary cats (from performance point of view)

And the stock exhaust is too silent and makes the car soul-less.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
kitw
Colonel
Rep

You know what you should do?

Get turner test pipes and install them with your stock X pipe. Best of both worlds. It's considerably quieter.

Appreciate 0