BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #23
akarisilver
Rep
Drives: SU-31

^^ I assume you went to Germain? That's where I took my test drive. It may be the same one; it was a 11 E93 black. Anyway, I was honest with the CA. I told him I want to buy a M3 but never test driven one before. I asked for a test drive which lasted about 10min, the first 5min he drove, then I drove back to the dealership.

I agree with everyone else, if your gonna pull the trigger on a $70k car, better test drive the dang thing!!!!

Let us know how it goes. My experience at the dealership was unpleasant...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
It's so funny to read these posts, next thread people will be complaining about 30 miles on their brand new M3. Or that the used M3 was a 'test drive' car, probably driven hard by random people.

Honestly, I would rather not allow somebody a test drive on a PERFORMANCE car they won't buy, especially considering every little mile can change the value of the vehicle to other potential REAL buyers. Not to mention the additional detailing and cleaning that will be involved to keep it looking 'untouched' or 'semi new'.
Why are you talking m3 like a plane? Even lambo dealer allows for test drive
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #25
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

you never know until you drive it. and plus, itll help you gauge the car you do want to buy. just dont waste their time and your time and say thanks i gotta think about it and leave.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #26
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Drive it and give them a chance to come within $100 of your best price-no guilt!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #27
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Drive it and give them a chance to come within $100 of your best price-no guilt!
Yup..Here is how much I could get it for, can you match it?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #28
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

If you love the vert, the coupe will not make up for the top down experience without a hacksaw.

It will however provide a larger trunk, cleaner roof line and a few tenths of seconds faster 0-60. A test drive will help decide if the added weight of the vert effects your driving desires - the weight is there, but the decision as to if it is noticeable enough to go fixed roof is a very subjective one. For me the difference did not warrant the desire for a car which can have a solid roof when needed and also one of the nicer looking top down looks. The upgraded exhaust sound system was also worth the admission price.
      08-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #29
NaplesBull
Rep
Drives: 07 MB E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarisilver View Post
^^ I assume you went to Germain? That's where I took my test drive. It may be the same one; it was a 11 E93 black. Anyway, I was honest with the CA. I told him I want to buy a M3 but never test driven one before. I asked for a test drive which lasted about 10min, the first 5min he drove, then I drove back to the dealership.

I agree with everyone else, if your gonna pull the trigger on a $70k car, better test drive the dang thing!!!!

Let us know how it goes. My experience at the dealership was unpleasant...
It is at Germain..but it's a 2011 white coupe. My experience there on the sales side has not been good but service wise, I don't have any complaints.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
NaplesBull
Rep
Drives: 07 MB E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Yup..Here is how much I could get it for, can you match it?
ya, unfortunately I gave them that option and they couldn't do it. I decided I ultimately was going to wait until the 2012's came out but I know this dealership just can't compete price wise.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Why are you talking m3 like a plane? Even lambo dealer allows for test drive
Dealers wouldn't allow test drives on STIs or EVOs without running some credit checks or having some sort of signed agreements, while Nissan and BMW down the street were allowing test drives on their 350z, G35s and M3s. It depends on the dealership.

It's all about the sales strategy, if a dealer wants to keep the miles low and the car clean, I would agree no test drives, because it's really not a test drive - it has become a JOY RIDE, just by virtue of taking the sales part out of it. As a buyer of a 60k+ car, I would prefer a product that was not available for joy rides.

Also, if buying used - you should definetly drive the actual car to make sure nothing is wrong with it, you are ok with the color, interior...etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #32
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

No no no, you should not test drive it. Its just not right. You know, the best thing to do, is stay at home, lock your self in the basement, and just order all your food on internet to be delivered to you.

Honestly, just dont test drive it if you not going to buy it, dealers are cracking down on people like that joy ride their cars, and are now charging people per mile and per RPM they rev the car to. You should aslo avoid eye contact when you talk to people, just look at their crotch the entire time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Unless you are trying to drive a Ferrari or something like that then I wouldnt feel bad. I think test driving a M3 that they have on the lot to see if you want to order one is COMPLETELY acceptable. Also, I dont think there is any problem telling the CA that you might want to order an M3 but you would like to test drive one first.

Good luck bro!
That pretty much sums it up,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
E-lee
Rep
Drives: IB M3 CV

I never like to bring my feelings with me when I talk to any kind of salesmen :-P
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Dealers wouldn't allow test drives on STIs or EVOs without running some credit checks or having some sort of signed agreements, while Nissan and BMW down the street were allowing test drives on their 350z, G35s and M3s. It depends on the dealership.

It's all about the sales strategy, if a dealer wants to keep the miles low and the car clean, I would agree no test drives, because it's really not a test drive - it has become a JOY RIDE, just by virtue of taking the sales part out of it. As a buyer of a 60k+ car, I would prefer a product that was not available for joy rides.

Also, if buying used - you should definetly drive the actual car to make sure nothing is wrong with it, you are ok with the color, interior...etc.
I test drove evo in the dealer without checking credit or something before i bought the 335i, maybe just that dealer playing tricks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-lee View Post
I never like to bring my feelings with me when I talk to any kind of salesmen :-P
Can't agree more. I am paying money out of the pocket to get something , of course i have to be sure that's the car i like. I always ask for test drive and nevr care about what the SA is thinking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #37
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

If you intend on ordering through them I see no problem with asking for a test drive of a similar car.
      08-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #38
motortrend
Goldmember
Rep
Drives: EM Siree

Don't geel bad AT ALL about test driving a car. My dad test drove the cayman S, the M3 and the IS-F before choosing. None of the dealers had a single problem offering the test drive and the Lexus dealer was even telling him to push it and later drove it with traction control on and off to show us the difference
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #39
keisakura
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3 View Post
It's a $65k plus purchase. If they won't spend 30 minutes letting you test drive, go somewhere else!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #40
MB Hawaii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 (spc gray)

I sell cars for a living....I think it's okay to test drive a car with no intention of buying it. I look it as a potential sale. You may think you have no intention of buying it and it's my job to help you make an informed decision.

Now if your going to buy a car from the same dealership just a different car....I say take all the time you need. However, if your buying it somewhere else or know for sure your not in the market for one......just don't take up too much of the sales rep's time though. A quick test drive is still okay by me
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #41
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Their job is to help you make a decision, and it's not like you aren't a BMW customer. Drive everything.
      08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #42
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I'd be straight with them. Odds are they'll suggest you test drive one on the lot and if you ask and they decline go elsewhere.

I also see no problem test driving a used (out of break-in) car and winding it out a bit. So long as the engine is up to temp. It's what the car is designed to do.
Best answer here.

And following this will present you to the SA/Dealership in the best manner from the start. If the sales people are good they will respond to your seriousness and respect in kind. If they are not good their failure to respond productively will tell you to go elsewhere at once.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #43
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I know how you feel for I made similar bad decisions and they were costly in the end (loosing some money).

My recommendation to you would be to certainly test drive the cars that you have your eye on and like to compare. The dealerships are set up for that meaning for you to test drive certain models before you make a financial commitment (be it cash, lease or finance).

My MB dealership for example let me take several different models home for a day during the test drive episode before my wife and I made our decision to purchase her C350 MB.

In my case I can pass my experience on to you as far as the M3 is concerned. I owned a e46 M3 build in 2002. In 2010 I drove an almost new e93 M3 2009 with about 2,000 miles on the clock. The e93 was for sale privately since the fellow was promoted and now had also a company car. The car was in showroom condition. While the e93 is a marvellous car it just did not feel the same as my e46 so I did not go thru with it.

Making a long story short, I opted for a Z4 30is e85 2008, drove it for 6 months and was somewhat disappointed with the quality (plastic covers kept falling off). Still wanting a convertible I traded the e85 in for the e89 Z4 35i again this car disappointed me I ended up having 2 cracked rear wheels and premature tire wear at 18,000 KM. So I got back into the car I am driving now a M3 e92. The biggest mistake I made was to sell my e46 for I babied that car and the e46 was still in top notch condition. So all this exercise just because I wanted a convertible.

So test drive the cars you have your eye on, never mind the dealership, if the deal (once you made up your mind) at the other dealership is more attractive you can always give a chance to your local dealership to meet the price. Remember they are in the business to sell cars and not everyone test driving there cars ends up purchasing them.

Good luck and good hunting, may you find the car that meets your needs.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 08-05-2011 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: typo correction
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #44
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

I wouldn't ever abuse a new car since it will become someone's car some day. I also don't go brand hopping and test driving cars just for the heck of it. Those people waste everyone's time/money.

If you're serious about a car, I would try my best to do all the test driving at an establishment that you plan to ultimately buy the car from. When I was getting my car, I test drove two cars at the one dealership, and the second test drive is what convinced me to order my car that I have today.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0