BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Looking into a m3 but concerned.

Hello all, like the title says i am looking into a M3. But i feel i am buying at the worse time possible. right when BMW is at the peak of its e9x line up and moving into different engines, different styling to the cars.

I am the kind of person who like the newest, and updated styling and engine in a car. but this time around its kind of different, i am not to happy with the new 6 cylinder engine that will come in it. i mean i am sure it will be more power, and overall faster with better MPG. but i e9x v8 is more for me. the sound, the fast and high revving. etc

Looking at the render of the new F m3 model. It does look pretty good, i might even like it better. time will tell. But again i simply do not like 6 cylinders for performance engines.

So let me summarize, i like to have the NEW, but want the current/ soon to be older model. very frustrated on what i should do. what are your guys thoughts on my predicament.

UPDATE on 3rd page

Last edited by Ezio; 03-04-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

When you like an V8 high revving engine...the ///M3 S65 engine is the solution
fore you....you will not regret it....believe me
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Drive an M3. If you like it, buy it, you can always buy a new I-6 model. If you feel it's missing something, wait and buy the turbo. You could be one of the first to own an M4...

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I was thinking about this recently as well, and I solved it by experiencing the interior enhancements of the F30 and M5, and comparing it with the E92 M3. There was certainly a gap, but it is a gap that is acceptable to me when you consider the fit and finish of the 2011 - 2013 M3 models. I can live without back-up cameras, lane departure, and little gizmos that don't improve outright performance of the car. I can certainly live without the technology that pumps an artificial engine sound into the cabin (M5) I hope they don't do that in the new M3/M4.

If you know you like the NA V8, then I say seize the moment to be in one today. The M4, etc. will always be there if you feel you need to get out of the E92 M3 because it's "too old" technology / interior wise.
      11-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

How can you say you don't like the new 6 cylinder engine if you've never driven it? A V8 M5 is completely different from a V8 550i.

You're basically comparing apples to imaginary apples.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
And1M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

I had the same situation as you but in the end I decided to get the V8 M3. I test drove the V8 and fell in love with the engine sound. If you do decide to get the new M4, you will be the first to drive it and test out bugs for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Aus_M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I was having the same thought but I went for the 2013 M3. I love the engine and I honestly wouldn't want the very first of the new generation.

I decided to get a e9x now and waiting for the comp pack of the new car. Personal choice though
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Get the M3 now and upgrade to the LCI next-gen model if at all. Being one of the first to own the latest greatest on complex expensive cars isn't a great idea IMHO. I'd rather buy a late model year of a generation when the car will be the best it can be overall (minus cost-cutting stuff like vinyl sun visors) than deal with potential early model year issues and buyer's remorse when subsequent model years have new option packages etc.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Get the M3 now and upgrade to the LCI next-gen model if at all. Being one of the first to own the latest greatest on complex expensive cars isn't a great idea IMHO. I'd rather buy a late model year of a generation when the car will be the best it can be overall (minus cost-cutting stuff like vinyl sun visors) than deal with potential early model year issues and buyer's remorse when subsequent model years have new option packages etc.
+1

I am sorry to see the current V8 go away, but I am definitely going to snag one before production ends. Then, hopefully, by about the time that I'm ready for something new, all the kinks will have been worked out of the next gen model, and I'll trade my future e92 in on a new M4!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Hello all, like the title says i am looking into a M3. But i feel i am buying at the worse time possible. right when BMW is at the peak of its e9x line up and moving into different engines, different styling to the cars.

I am the kind of person who like the newest, and updated styling and engine in a car. but this time around its kind of different, i am not to happy with the new 6 cylinder engine that will come in it. i mean i am sure it will be more power, and overall faster with better MPG. but i e9x v8 is more for me. the sound, the fast and high revving. etc

Looking at the render of the new F m3 model. It does look pretty good, i might even like it better. time will tell. But again i simply do not like 6 cylinders for performance engines.

So let me summarize, i like to have the NEW, but want the current/ soon to be older model. very frustrated on what i should do. what are your guys thoughts on my predicament.
Why not consider an E46 M3 or E86 M? Both very nice cars and very affordable as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
is300wrx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio

I had the same dilemma back in July before I ended up pulling the trigger on the 2013 M3 coupe. I leased it for 3 years knowing that in the second year of the lease, the 4 door M3 will be release and the 2 door coupe M4 won't be released well into my third year into the lease. Figured by then, the coupe will only be outdated by a few months and I will already have ordered the new M4 by then.

Do yourself a favor and go test drive the e9x M3. As many have stated, the sound and the feel of the engine is unreal. The sound of the stock exhaust note purely intoxicating! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

You know you want that V8
      11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post
How can you say you don't like the new 6 cylinder engine if you've never driven it? A V8 M5 is completely different from a V8 550i.

I am not a fan of the way 6 cylinders sound when comparing them to v8s.

i am also considering a c63 AMG or even a 2013 gt500. very nice v8s. you put a 6 next to those cars and its no comparison in sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am happy to see people who ended up with the M, i will be test driving some vehicles next month. I have a few cars in mind. c63 AMG, 2013 GT500 and a CTSV. I have a lot love for BMWs, and even if those cars are faster i may still get the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Cingulus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 06 A3, 03 350Z TT,

I would also look at used M3s you can get some great deals
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
MMM PWR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M and E46 ZCP

Quote:

i am also considering a c63 AMG or even a 2013 gt500. very nice v8s. you put a 6 next to those cars and its no comparison in sound.
After 3 M3s I figured I would try something different. Bought the C63 which has incredible torque and seats...but does not add up to the M. Tranny is a slushbox, wheels are way too narrow for the power and the oversteer is nuts...had to replace the front tires after one track day. Worst is mods...hardly anything reasonable avail for the C63. If performance is high on your priority list skip the C63.

The '13 GT500 however...great car but would def look at the BOSS or LT1 Camaro if leaning that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM PWR View Post
After 3 M3s I figured I would try something different. Bought the C63 which has incredible torque and seats...but does not add up to the M. Tranny is a slushbox, wheels are way too narrow for the power and the oversteer is nuts...had to replace the front tires after one track day. Worst is mods...hardly anything reasonable avail for the C63. If performance is high on your priority list skip the C63.

The '13 GT500 however...great car but would def look at the BOSS or LT1 Camaro if leaning that way.
i would much rather DD a BMW or benz. i can see the BMW being more of a performer. the benz strikes me as a more classy choice. i love the sound of that 6.3 V8. like you said there is a trade off.

BMW for sure is most balance of sports and class.

the only pony car i really have a interested in right now would be a gt500. Its the insane amount of power that interest me,thats about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
Amri215
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthai View Post

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #19
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
If anything BMW has been going more mainstream and down hill with their most recent models. Glad I got my screaming V8 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)

Quote:

Well with the way BMW is going they'll probably pump the V8 sound through the speakers on this new M3...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #21
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:

BMW designs are timeless to a certain degree. By that I mean that they age well. Even a well kept e46 M3 still looks good to my eyes. The feel of a NA V8 is special, and won't be duplicated by a turbo 6.

There are also disadvantages to getting the latest model immediately.

1. Invariably, there are are bugs to get worked out. Look at the issue with oil pumps in the new M5, for instance.

2. Manufacturers always improve on the model mid production. After this, IMO, is actually the the best time to get a car. There is also a decent aftermarket already in place if you are in to modding.

3. Production of the current M3 will continue until late spring 2013. There will be a one year gap for the next M3 to actually reach the market, which means summer/fall 2014. That is still almost 2 years before the first batch is released. Then give it at least a year to get at least the first bugs worked out and you are looking at 2015 to actually buy.

Bottom line, get the e9x now. It wins on many fronts.
      11-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #22
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

M6?

I agree that the downgrade to the I6 is a shame, even though maybe the people at BMW will end up doing a great engine. But of you compare the current I-6 in the 335 with the V8 in the M3, they are extremely different.
That V8 is amazing.

Quote:

Appreciate 0