BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #45
Marcovan
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 coupe

I was thinking of doing a frozen grey car wrap. Not sure if it's the same as real paint to maintane..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #46
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

it's not...it's vinyl. You don't wax it or polish it. Wash it as you would a regular car.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #47
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Link to frozen care directly from BMW M
http://www.m-power.com/_open/s/editorial.jsp?id=2827&lang=en
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
Link to frozen care directly from BMW M
http://www.m-power.com/_open/s/edito...d=2827&lang=en
Good post, clears up all the confusion..while a traditional wax should not be used..the article goes on to say:

"From some time now, a special matt paint express wax has been available for customers who wish to provide the surface with optimum protection from environmental impact.

And a new product recently put on the market is a special matt paint nano wax with even more lasting protection

Here it is important to note that when applying these products, no auxiliary agents may be used with a polishing effect."
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #49
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
For one this topic has come up many times before and everyone thinks it's the end all be all.

THIS PAINT IS NOT DIFF THAN REG PAINT WITH A MATTE CLEAR

This has been reiterated many times before. I have numerous dealings w/ it from the collision industry. The base coat is the same and the clear coat has a flattening agent in it to make it "matte". That said, it's not diff to care for than a ref car. Yes you prob shouldn't polish the car religiously, but I don't even polish my car now and it looks fine. Bird shit and other issues are the same across the board. Bird shit will etch paint immediately and has to be removed to prevent damage on any finish. I don't see any issues using waxes and touch up shouldn't be an issue either. If your shop/dealer is telling you otherwise, run the other way
Exactly. I said the same thing then people who thing Frozen paint is some magic jumped all over me. Not worth arguing because my friend owns one and he cares for it no differently than me with a yearly light polish and frequent sealant applications.

Its the same glossy paint with a matte agent added and a matte clear coat overtop. Principle is the same. You polish off microscopic layers of clearcoat when you polish. Whether its matte or shiny has no difference
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #50
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

I've had mine now for 14 months and its been the easiest car to care for that I've ever owned. I get it hand washed every month or so and have had it detailed twice and I waxed it once myself. I just wash by hand and use Swissvax Opaque on it and it looks amazing. Even when slightly dirty it looks great. I'll never go back to a gloss black car again which here in Seattle looks dirty the day after you clean it. Everyone saying how hard it is to take care of probably doesn't have one, it's like some sort of urban legend...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #51
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM3 View Post
Everyone saying how hard it is to take care of probably doesn't have one, it's like some sort of urban legend...
hence the title of my thread... Wanted to hear from folks who actually own one!! thanks for the input...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #52
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
What do you mean they are still unable to locate the paint?? I had an aftermarket bumper painted by my dealer at their body shop and put on before I even took delivery of my car. Paint matched perfect.

There is no magic to the paint, any competent body shop should be able to match it right up.
that's what they said, and BMW NA confirmed.

Not sure how your body shop managed to match the paint, hats off to them...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #53
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Guys frozen colors have the same clear coat as any other car only in a matte finish and maybe slightly different ingredients but it function like any other clear coat in terms of polishing, buffing and cleaning it. Its no different to take care of. only if you get a scratch through clear coat is it a pain because there are no easy touch up or repaint options

BMW M in Garching says this exact same thing without reservation.
And yes, I own one.

(this from someone who was initially against the paint for all of the reasons described in this thread [and more]; as "concerns" promoted by those with no experience [including me, initially] they've been proven unfounded by more knowledge of the finish and actual experience)

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #54
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Rdstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
I'd like to hear from people who have actually owned one of these or have first hand knowledge... I see a lot of frozen limited editions for sale on the used market lately, which makes me wonder if caring for the paint is really a huge hassle?

I know you can't polish or compound them....but how delicate is the finish with regard to bird droppings, sap, etc??

Any info is appreciated....
I've never personally owned a car with frozen paint, but I have a lot of experience "detailing" them. Matte paint a hassle? I think the correct answer to this question would vary from owner to owner. I say that becuase we all have different goals in mind when we think of our cars appearance and how much work we're willing to put in to achieve that goal. With that being said...

It helps to understand how a matte finish is acheived:
Most known auto manufacturers achieive a matte finish on their production vehicles by using a specific clear coat formula. This formula allows the clear coat to be applied with tiny imperfections. Think of a microscopic mountain range covering the entire car. VVVVVVV These small bumps don't allow light to be clearly reflected off the vehicles paint causing the rough but awesome looking matte finish. A gloss finish clear cloat doesn't consist of these types of imperfections allowing the paint to be a mirror like surface that clearly reflects various forms of light. (Picture a mirror ______)

And you'd need to understand why scratches are visible:
Think of a scratch as a V shaped line when looking at your cars finish parrallel with the body. If you've ever seen a face cleanser commercial that shows a pore on the surface of your skin, picture that but the pore is in the shape of a V. Now, the only reason a scratch is visible is because the light is now reflecting off of the inside of that V which goes against the head on reflections of an otherwise glossy "flat" surface. Now apply that same scratch to a matte finish and it becomes nearly invisible. This is because a matte finish already has imperfections and they act as a camouflage to most scratches in the clear coat. For most, this would be a positive aspect of owning a matte finished car because you don't have to invest in removing the clear coat scratches or imperfections via time consuming and expensive polishing techniques.

Typical polishing and waxing intended for regular gloss paints are not essentially "damaging" when used on your matte finish, however these products do clash with the whole idea of the manufactured imperfections that create the matte look. They are all intended to smooth over any imperfections and reflect the highest gloss possible. So by using these products and techniques your essentially removing or covering up the mountain range.

Substitues for widely known detailing procedures and products for matte finishes:
Claying/polishing - Claying is intended to remove any decontaminents or residue before polishing a gloss finish to prevent any further surface damage while removing the already present imperfections. Now we know it's no use polishing a matte finish, but when applying matte finish sealants it's still important to have the cleanest surface possible to prevent any further damage when applying these products. So there are matte finish-based cleaners in the form of liquids that are safe and will get rid of a lot of the surface contaminants.

Waxing/Sealaning your paint - It's still important to protect your cars matte clear coat as it's suceptable to the same wear from the environment as a gloss finish. However, using a sealant that's intended for a gloss finish will get you closer to just that, a glossier finish. There are tons of products available now for matte finishes that protect your clear coat, but at the same time maintain that "rough" look.

Washing/daily maintenance - Given the fact that polishing works against the whole idea of a matte finish and claying is virtually impossible, removing any water spots, dried bird crap, etc immediately is the only way to go when maintaining a matte finish. To say matte finishes need much more daily attention when coming into contact with the elements can be true. However, with both finishes bird crap or sap in the sun for one day is one day too many. Frequent hand washes with proper water and soaps, and removal of any bird droppings, sap or bugs immediately will lenghthing and help protect your finish from leaving permanent imperfections.

One type of finish can save you a step while the other can add one. So in essence, both types of paint require attention and like I said before it all depends what your goals are with regard to the finish of your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #55
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenxesq View Post
that's what they said, and BMW NA confirmed.

Not sure how your body shop managed to match the paint, hats off to them...
Sorry that seems very odd.

Here is the Paint Spec verbatim from my build:

0490 Special painting
Paintwork "frozen silver metallic" (code W07).
(Silverstone II met. A29 / dull 2C clear coat FF95-0550
+ hardener SC29-0160, ratio 100:33, co. BASF).

The only difference for you should be the mineral white paint instead of silverstone II I would imagine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
chris s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Sorry that seems very odd.

Here is the Paint Spec verbatim from my build:

0490 Special painting
Paintwork "frozen silver metallic" (code W07).
(Silverstone II met. A29 / dull 2C clear coat FF95-0550
+ hardener SC29-0160, ratio 100:33, co. BASF).

The only difference for you should be the mineral white paint instead of silverstone II I would imagine.

Any pics of your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #57
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
Any pics of your car?
Here's a couple

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #58
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
Guys frozen colors have the same clear coat as any other car only in a matte finish and maybe slightly different ingredients but it function like any other clear coat in terms of polishing, buffing and cleaning it. Its no different to take care of. only if you get a scratch through clear coat is it a pain because there are no easy touch up or repaint options
From what I have read that is completely false. The matte finish is different from regular paint and requires special care. Basic washing only. No polishing/buffing allowed.
I bought the maintenance kit from BMW, wax, detailer and hard wax kit. About the same cost as Swissvax. I clear bra'd the entire front end, lights and mirrors, as that would get the most rock chips, etc. To answer the follow on question the clear bra is a matte finish.

In Germany I can't wash in my yard, so I take it to a self wash, use the foaming brush, rinse and spot free rinse. Drying use a good chamois and finish off with a terry cloth towel. Looks great after. When I drive it, it receives a lot of compliments and looks. At Nurburgring, a lot of people come look, ask and take pictures.

I'm looking at using a product called Cilajet for the rest of the paint on the M3, that product has worked well on my X1.

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #59
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Here is a picture of my M3
Attached Images

Mike
------------------
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #60
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Another picture
Attached Images

Mike
------------------
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #61
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Can any other owners of BMW frozen pain chime in? Id like to hear from some that have had it for a few years using their car daily if possible. My wife and I both want Frozen grey on our upcoming purchase of an M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #62
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosborn78108 View Post
Here is a picture of my M3
So pretty!!!

BTW...a few of us from the K-Town area are heading to Nurburgring on Sun. PM if you are interested in joining in. 2 M3s and a C63 507 confirmed going. Maybe going as well: another 507, R8, GTR.
      04-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #63
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpunisherx View Post
So pretty!!!

BTW...a few of us from the K-Town area are heading to Nurburgring on Sun. PM if you are interested in joining in. 2 M3s and a C63 507 confirmed going. Maybe going as well: another 507, R8, GTR.
You guy's from K-town know that we also have an much closer located Hockenheimring?
Just saying... 50mins. vs. almost 2 hour drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #64
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix
Quote:
So pretty!!!

You guy's from K-town know that we also have an much closer located Hockenheimring?
Just saying... 50mins. vs. almost 2 hour drive.
How much does Hockenheim ring cost? Crazy expensive like Nurburgring?
      04-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #65
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
How much does Hockenheim ring cost? Crazy expensive like Nurburgring?
15 Euros for 12 min's on the ring 10 Euros or so for entrance fee for your car...then your set to race

Every Sunday should be normally "open" if there are no race event's allready planned but to make sure you have to check their site for Touristenfahrten.
Anyhow going to the Hockenheimring, even if not racing, is a cool experience.
Having a bunch of gear head's get together is alway's fun

Last edited by vsix; 04-15-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #66
xpunisherx
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
15 Euros for 12 min's on the ring 10 Euros or so for entrance fee for your car...then your set to race

Every Sunday should be normally "open" if there are no race event's allready planned but to make sure you have to check their site for Touristenfahrten.
Anyhow going to the Hockenheimring, even if not racing, is a cool experience.
Having a bunch of gear head's get together is alway's fun
Good to know. I appreciate the information!