BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

EDC Malfunction

My EDC is having some kind of malfunction got a warning through the i-drive and system check. I only have 1000 miles on the car has anyone heard of this problem before?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
lol i doubt anyone has it. is it persistent though or does it come and go?
im only asking coz my 335 used to give me suspension-related "malfunction" error messages but they'd go away on their own.
im not sure my comment, or anyone else's at this point will add too much value.

i would go to M6/M5 forums and search for EDC errors, might be related
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It comes and go's although as of right now it has been staying on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My dealer fixed the problem today. It was a loose plug on top of one of the front shock towers that was causing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
good to see it fixed

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
umwolverine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez M3

That's the kind of problem I like to see. A simple loose plug, no major issues. Let's hope this continues to be the case when things go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

Yea I wish that was the case with mine. They reset the computer and road tested it, the fault code came back. The issue is now in BMW's hands, so in 24-48 hours I will have an answer....
      05-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Shows that the warning system does a good job. Glad it is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
exadius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 M-DCT

Must be a record, less than 50 miles EDC malfunction. Wow I am speachless!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by exadius View Post
Must be a record, less than 50 miles EDC malfunction. Wow I am speachless!
maybe for EDC, but I think somebody with DCT had a tranny malfunction at 14 miles. HAHA.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
exadius
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3 M-DCT

EDC Fixed

Got my car back Monday. They replaced the EDC controller only to find another error appeared. It was some kind of under voltage problem.

When I initially dropped off the car I mentioned that I had read here in the forums about loose connecters at the top of the shock tower causing EDC faults.

While they were waiting on the BMW "experts" in Germany they started poking those connectors and found 4 wires were routed under a metal block, and from what I saw looked like it was screwed down pretty tight. Sure enough several of those wires had there insulation worn through causing the under volt error.

They were very lucky that the system found that short before it fried the new EDC controller. The service rep seemed to think that this was an error in the assembly process.

Hopefully this was an isolated mistake and not the way all M3s were put together.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
Nucking Futs!
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
maybe for EDC, but I think somebody with DCT had a tranny malfunction at 14 miles. HAHA.
I think that was me...but I started to have DCT issues at 135-140 miles (2nd day of ownership), lol. Thankfully it was an isolated incident (Incorrectly manufactured O-ring on exterior tranny oil line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by exadius View Post
Got my car back Monday. They replaced the EDC controller only to find another error appeared. It was some kind of under voltage problem.

When I initially dropped off the car I mentioned that I had read here in the forums about loose connecters at the top of the shock tower causing EDC faults.

While they were waiting on the BMW "experts" in Germany they started poking those connectors and found 4 wires were routed under a metal block, and from what I saw looked like it was screwed down pretty tight. Sure enough several of those wires had there insulation worn through causing the under volt error.

They were very lucky that the system found that short before it fried the new EDC controller. The service rep seemed to think that this was an error in the assembly process.

Hopefully this was an isolated mistake and not the way all M3s were put together.
Good to hear it was an isolated incident & thx for the update.

'17 95B GTS
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
STI
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: M3 E46 & GDB STI

first time I had an edc failure I took the car at the dealership and they told me that the shock's didn't comunicate with one and other, now after 3k km I have edc failure again and I am waiting for 3 weeks for them to fix it... major disapointment
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

The nice thing about EDC is that the M5/6 have been equipped with similar systems for a while now so problems should not be as mysterious as with say the new DCT tranny....

Nice to see most of these problems are relatively easy quick fixes...

Jason
      07-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6sp AW FR EDC NAV

edc malfunction

got the same problem at 700km , been driving for 800km with problem ,I get an occasional noise on speed bumpsotherwise it handles fine , plugged it in to the GT1 at work and its telling me its a plausibility issue , check connection and they seem to be good , tryed to reset the code but its a hard fault , will take it in monday and get looked at , im not gonna waste my time thats what warrenty is for ,i will report the problem , funny thing is the sport plus setting is constantly on now , but if i set my mdrive to be on normal or sport i can get it to adjust but not with the edc button ???....anyways im just glad it happened a couple days before the H&R springs were to go in and not a couple days after ,,,,, im can imagine now , "sorry sir but because you intalled the H&R we cant look at your edc problem , and now all you warrenty on the shocks are void "
      07-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
Deathboy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good to hear you got the malfunction before you made any mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #17
STI
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep

this morning I took the car to the local dealer to fix it, I'll let you guys know how it went, I hope this second time is the last time...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI View Post
this morning I took the car to the local dealer to fix it, I'll let you guys know how it went, I hope this second time is the last time...
i also took mine in today waiting for the outcome
      07-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
STI
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep

Got my car back... they said that because of some bumps the shocks stoped comunicating with one and other and now they are just fine... I still don't think they solved anything but anyway I hope it doesn't happen again...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #20
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Got my car back... they said that because of some bumps the shocks stoped comunicating with one and other and now they are just fine... I still don't think they solved anything but anyway I hope it doesn't happen again...
mine reported that he needed to change the left front shock ! i dont know why , but mine were also making a noise , what a bummer
      07-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #21
STI
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep

when I had the edc error flashing on the idrive and the car was cold ( I just started it ) I could also hear some noise coming from the shock's but for 2 days now with no error on the noise went away... maybe it's just me because I'm a little scared about this things but anyway...
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #22
EDELWEISS
Private
Rep

Quote:
when I had the edc error flashing on the idrive and the car was cold ( I just started it ) I could also hear some noise coming from the shock's but for 2 days now with no error on the noise went away... maybe it's just me because I'm a little scared about this things but anyway...
i was good for two days and then i decided to put in the springs and i got the edc malfunction back now i dont know what to do ! its not the same as before it comes and goes on and off its kinda strange i can still select the setting i want and its not automaticallly giving me an error always on when i start the car but will come on in the middle of driving and then go away on its own , the way i know that is through the check control frature , sometimes i get the shock and somtime it says all sytems ok , i was looking at some data streams at the shop and on the acceleration sensor (top of shock mount) the voltage on the left shock fluctuates from 2.5-2.4 v and the right one and the one sensor for the rear are both steady at 2.5 v , if anyone has more tech info on this it would be greatly helpfull as i dont want to take it back to the dealer now with the springs in .

i swapped the harness and connector and from left to right and stll the same on the left 2.4-2.5 even when not connected its stuck at those values ???
im pretty sure i read that after 5kph we should see 5v there , not true in my case .