BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #67
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by akioo View Post
Same here please, thanks!
+1

I need Frozen Brilliant White. I have the paint code.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #68
M3STROCKET
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Can you or have you used any spray detail products on the frozen paint?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #69
akioo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3STROCKET View Post
Can you or have you used any spray detail products on the frozen paint?
I've been using the Dr. Beasley final finish spray for matte paint. Applied and used just like quick detailer on normal paint. Stuff works great!

I'm also beginning to gain more confidence in the frozen paint. This morning I noticed bird crap on my rear quarter panel, problem is...I hadn't driven the car since Sunday(!), so it's been sitting there 4 days now. Once I finished freaking out...I soaked it with the Dr. B's cleanser for about 2 mins...and ended up wiping right off! No stains, discoloration, or any evidence anything was there. woohoo

2013 Frozen White | DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #70
Spyros E81
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 U11 Sdrive 18i

Garage List
Sorry because i don't finding the paint code from Frozen Blue Metallic , i want to answer me if anyone know the painting code.
This colour i mean ( http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...rt=ALSO_EXPORT )

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #71
Hyperjack
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros E81 View Post
Sorry because i don't finding the paint code from Frozen Blue Metallic , i want to answer me if anyone know the painting code.
This colour i mean ( http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat...rt=ALSO_EXPORT )

Thanks!!
sorry don't know the code....but that's frozen montecarlo blue. i hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #72
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
OK, so I've put almost 1000 miles on my new Frozen Blue, and wanted to share a bit...

First, maybe it's just the Frozen blue, but dirt shows just like any color, swirls, not so much.

Not sure if frozen owners on this thread were just used to cleaning daily or something, but it requires far more care. Post highway bug detail is somewhat of a hassle, especially when you can only use certain, more expensive, products (I opted for Swissvax - didn't use the wax, just the other stuff - works like a charm btw). Fuel stains also show more (and don't come out, so if you have a good idea...).

Highway wear and tear is less noticeable. I kept getting a barrage of little pebbles that made me fear looking at the front when I got home, but zero scratches to the paint. The headlights are a different story... Crap material!

Can't take it to the auto-wash, and I hate doing it myself... Just not the part I enjoy. Very few hand wash places exist, and they tend to be expensive (open to suggestion in the Boston/Cambridge area).

So care is definitely an issue. I'm sure a clear bra would help, but I have yet to see one that I'm happy with - xpel stealth, 3M, whatever, please don't recommend, I've seen them all, and even tried a couple in mine (what can I tell you... I'm anal, and it's just not for everyone). I tested the wax on the inside door panel, and the difference is noticeable! Shiny(er)... Not the look I was going for. I realize that some have had better experience with Swissvax, but maybe it's a color thing (or maybe the pictures don't reflect what it actually looks like... Happy to hear from other frozen blue owners).

Can't find the frozen blue touch-up kit either - every other frozen kit I can order in Europe except blue... Go figure - for whomever it was that asked - please let me know if you find it!!

I'll update, and other Frozen Blue (and others), please continue to share your experiences!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #73
Spyros E81
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
OK, so I've put almost 1000 miles on my new Frozen Blue, and wanted to share a bit...

First, maybe it's just the Frozen blue, but dirt shows just like any color, swirls, not so much.

Not sure if frozen owners on this thread were just used to cleaning daily or something, but it requires far more care. Post highway bug detail is somewhat of a hassle, especially when you can only use certain, more expensive, products (I opted for Swissvax - didn't use the wax, just the other stuff - works like a charm btw). Fuel stains also show more (and don't come out, so if you have a good idea...).

Highway wear and tear is less noticeable. I kept getting a barrage of little pebbles that made me fear looking at the front when I got home, but zero scratches to the paint. The headlights are a different story... Crap material!

Can't take it to the auto-wash, and I hate doing it myself... Just not the part I enjoy. Very few hand wash places exist, and they tend to be expensive (open to suggestion in the Boston/Cambridge area).

So care is definitely an issue. I'm sure a clear bra would help, but I have yet to see one that I'm happy with - xpel stealth, 3M, whatever, please don't recommend, I've seen them all, and even tried a couple in mine (what can I tell you... I'm anal, and it's just not for everyone). I tested the wax on the inside door panel, and the difference is noticeable! Shiny(er)... Not the look I was going for. I realize that some have had better experience with Swissvax, but maybe it's a color thing (or maybe the pictures don't reflect what it actually looks like... Happy to hear from other frozen blue owners).

Can't find the frozen blue touch-up kit either - every other frozen kit I can order in Europe except blue... Go figure - for whomever it was that asked - please let me know if you find it!!

I'll update, and other Frozen Blue (and others), please continue to share your experiences!
Can you send me your Paint code from Frozen blue?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #74
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Can you send me your Paint code from Frozen blue?
0490 Special painting
Paintwork "frozen blue metallic" (code W91).
(Monte Carlo blue met. B05 / dull 2C clear coat FF95-0550
+ Hardener SC29-0160, ratio 100:33, co. BASF).

Last edited by lsal; 07-20-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #75
Spyros E81
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
0490 Special painting
Paintwork "frozen blue metallic" (code W91).
(Monte Carlo blue met. B05 / dull 2C clear coat FF95-0550
+ Hardener SC29-0160, ratio 100:33, co. BASF).
Thank you very much mate!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #76
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thank you very much mate!!!
Pleasure! Let me know if you find a touch-up kit...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #77
HansW
Private
Rep
Drives: looking for an E46 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Anyone know a product that will remove rubber scuffs from track day r-compound tires off of a frozen paint? Picked up a lot of black scuff marks the other day and I can't run them off or use regular products on this paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #78
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansW View Post
Anyone know a product that will remove rubber scuffs from track day r-compound tires off of a frozen paint? Picked up a lot of black scuff marks the other day and I can't run them off or use regular products on this paint.
What did you try so far? Did you try Dr. B or Swissvax?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #79
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:

The swissvax opaque works great. The only problem is it adds a little sheen to any of the matte/ frozen paint colors

Nanolex has a matte product range that doesnt add gloss at all

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=303587

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=305188

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=290253
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #80
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Not sure if you are referring to the wax itself or other products... Haven't tried the wax, but spray works great and does not add shine!

Last edited by lsal; 07-27-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #81
JR M3
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Not sure if you are referring to the wax itself or other products... Haven't tried the wax, but spray works great and does not add shine!
Sorry I was referring to the wax. The SV sprays and car bath are great
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #82
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3
Quote:
Sorry I was referring to the wax. The SV sprays and car bath are great

Yeah, I have the wax - tested it on an inside panel, and the difference shows.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #83
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

A 2013 Frozen Blue M3 Owners view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Absolutely true! I'm coming from a 2008 AW E92 and have spent a countless number of hours detailing the car and removing the swirls and random scratches from Autobahn driving...the Frozen Paint is sooo easy to care for and looks great even when "dirty"....like Primo said...wash, dry, go!

I had a discussion with one of our ///M-Flight members the other week about our Frozen Paint and he brought up that it must be a pain in the ass to take care of. I asked about where he got this info from and of course referenced a couple threads on this forum...then I asked him a couple questions...if a bird took a dump on your gloss painted M3...would you let it sit on the paint or would you remove it as quickly as possible? And of course he said he's remove it as quick as possible. Next question was..after a drive...you noticed quite a few bug splatter on your bumper and mirrors...would you let those sit there or would you clean it up as soon as convenient? Again...he said he'd clean it up as soon as possible. Then I said...hmmm sounds like the same thing us Frozen Paint owners will do.

I told him the only big differences do to further "care" for this type of paint is be more selective on my detailing products. There are quite a few detailing companies that make products specific to our paint and it's just as readily available as our gloss owner counterparts.
I'm the guy he's speaking about. I found the upkeep to be minimal and everything he says about care is true. I do take care of bug splatter that happens from driving on the autobahn. I didn't have to sign a paint waiver when I took delivery and yes, the BMW paint care videos scared the crap out of me!
Attached Images

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #84
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Mike...Thanks for the shout...I see your having fun whipping your beast around the ring...I'm extremely jealous! Stay safe out there and have fun!

G
      08-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #85
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Mike...Thanks for the shout...I see your having fun whipping your beast around the ring...I'm extremely jealous! Stay safe out there and have fun!

G
G,

I really appreciate all the advice you gave me on the paint care. Until I spoke to you I was thinking about canceling the deal and keeping the Cayenne as the forum posts and the BMW care videos really worried me.

The picture was taken 18 July this year--my birthday, David and a group of ///M Flight went to the ring that afternoon. Managed 3 laps of the ring--the Go Pro was a present to myself.

I like the pictures of the car in VA. I'm glad it made it there safely.

Mike

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #86
Claytonb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen White E92

Frozen Paint Is Easy To Care For

I picked up my 2013 frozen white M3 back in May and I think the paint is easier to care for than my previous 535's glossy paint. I was worried at fist, however have washed it about 20 times, no issues. I use a soap with no wax added and 100% cotton towels to apply and then dry. It looks great every time. This paint shows zero swirl marks like my 535 did in the sun. When I get the little black dots on the back from the exhaust and aero I simply use a touch of paint lacquer thinner. I learned this trick from a guy at my dealership that customizes paint on BMWs all the time. If you take care of your BMW by regularly washing, the frozen paint is really easy to care for. It must be all those people who let bird droppings and tree sap sit on their paint for weeks in the sun that BMW is worried about. Common sense people. Bottom line frozen paint is a piece of cake to care for.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #87
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonb
I picked up my 2013 frozen white M3 back in May and I think the paint is easier to care for than my previous 535's glossy paint. I was worried at fist, however have washed it about 20 times, no issues. I use a soap with no wax added and 100% cotton towels to apply and then dry. It looks great every time. This paint shows zero swirl marks like my 535 did in the sun. When I get the little black dots on the back from the exhaust and aero I simply use a touch of paint lacquer thinner. I learned this trick from a guy at my dealership that customizes paint on BMWs all the time. If you take care of your BMW by regularly washing, the frozen paint is really easy to care for. It must be all those people who let bird droppings and tree sap sit on their paint for weeks in the sun that BMW is worried about. Common sense people. Bottom line frozen paint is a piece of cake to care for.
It's only a bitch if you don't wash the car yourself...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #88
Chewbaccam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Frozen Grey

Howdy!
New M3 owner here, just picked up a 2011 Frozen Grey. I've had it for a week and it brings a smile to my face everyday. I came upon the forums when looking for cleaning/maintenance tips for the frozen paint and this place really helped out. So far, the maintenance hasn't been bad at all- gave it a wash and sealant (Dr. Beasleys) this past weekend after we had some dirty rain come through. Its got some small imperfections from the previous ownership that I'll try to fix, but beyond that, its quite clean.

Well, just wanted to pop in and say hi, and thanks for the cleaning tips!
Appreciate 0