BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Go Autobahn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 64 VW Beetle

Shortage of M-DCT transmission fluid?

I have a 2011 M3 that will need the 1200 mile break-in service soon.
When I did my break-in service for my last M3 (a 2008 M3), they told me that there was a critical "shortage" of the special transmission fluid for the M-DCT, and so there was a service bulletin saying that the transmission fluid should not be changed, even though the user's manual clearly stated that it should.
Has anyone had their M3 break-in service recently, and are they including the transmission fluid change these days?
Whoops: I just realized that I posted this on the E93 3-series forum instead of the M3 forum. Please consider this same question if any of you out there have a 335is with a DCT in for the 1200 mile break-in (if there is one).

Last edited by Go Autobahn; 06-19-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I'm almost certain there is no 1200 mile service for the 335is, so definitely post this on the M3 side.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Autobahn View Post
I have a 2011 M3 that will need the 1200 mile break-in service soon.
When I did my break-in service for my last M3 (a 2008 M3), they told me that there was a critical "shortage" of the special transmission fluid for the M-DCT, and so there was a service bulletin saying that the transmission fluid should not be changed, even though the user's manual clearly stated that it should.
Has anyone had their M3 break-in service recently, and are they including the transmission fluid change these days?
Whoops: I just realized that I posted this on the E93 3-series forum instead of the M3 forum. Please consider this same question if any of you out there have a 335is with a DCT in for the 1200 mile break-in (if there is one).
I don't have a 335is, just a 335I, but I've read a lot about transmission fluids so here's my advise. It seems like BMW made a mistake and had the service techs drain out DCT fluid at 1,200 miles. It is now common knowledge that there is no need to do this. Transmission fluid needs to be changed after 2 years and 30,000 miles. your dealership won't change the fluid at all, and if they do, and you are out of warranty, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Don't believe what they told you about the fluid shortage. After doing some research, I discoverd that BMW DCT trans fluid, is just re-labeled Pentosin FFL-4, available online for $18/liter. My advise: by the pentosin fluid, and do a full flush, at 30,000 miles, or after your warranty is up, at an independent shop.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
WillC310
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A car

Just wondering where you heard that from? Not to be a d!ck, but before I would go and flush and fill my transmission, I'd like to know a bit more before I potentially f-up my transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

M-DCT equipped cars should not have their fluid changed at the 1,200 mile service. Per BMW it is a life time fill (whether you buy that or not is a different issue).

Manual 6-spd cars should have their fluid changed at the 1,200 mile service.

I believe that early M3s had bad information in the manual. Some dealers changed the M-DCT fluid and destroyed the transmission because they used regular oil, not the M-DCT's hydraulic fluid. The "shortage" was due to the fact that this fluid was not stocked because its use was only rarely anticipated. BMW ended up implemented a process that required a dealer to open a PuMA case in order to get the fluid. This way BMW could ascertain if the dealer had screwed up and attempted a change on an M-DCT equipped car.

This is all documented in various bulletins.
      12-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #6
smckenna@talstar.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I'm sorry to hear about your frightening experience. I'm suspecting that it isn't the engine oil that is your problem, but the transmission fluid. I wonder if the light on the dash differentiates between the two. Last year, they had a batch of bad transmission fluid for the DCT's that made it into a service bulletin to be replaced, but your car is too new for that.
Appreciate 0