BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #111
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaan View Post
still not working with mine.... guess i dont have BMW office ?? it shoes messages under the phone option
If your main iDrive menu does not show Office then texts will not show up regardless of the phone used. There is no Combox in your car.

Last edited by Technic; 10-02-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #112
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 DCT View Post
I logged a call with BMW about the email issue not showing up in iDrive.

I just got the following reply - they know about the issue and they are going to issue a new firmware to solve the problem.

We have now escalated the matter to Germany AG and Apple. BMW Technical could only get the BlackBerry device to sync with the idrive system and not iOS6. As per BMW Technical, a firmware needs to be developed for your vehicle to recognise MAP (MAP ACCESS PROFILE) to synchronise emails on your idrive system.

This case is currently logged on our system, I will report back to you next week on progress.
Good to know. The current BT F/W release is UPD01004. As it changes to UPD01005 or later it should address the BT MAP email issue that everyone is experiencing with the GM.

Current Release:
Attached Images

09-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #113
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
Good to know. The current BT F/W release is UPD01004. As it changes to UPD01005 or later it should address the BT MAP email issue that everyone is experiencing with the GM.

Current Release:
Excellent news, thanks!
      09-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #114
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
I've tested an iPhone 5 in the car.

It acted strangely the first time I did a bluetooth pairing...had to restart the phone and un-pair, then try again. Then all good.

The key to making sure that your messages show up is both the set-up on your BMW-side, and the iPhone's "notifications" for Messages. I toggled the "View in Lock Screen" and it definitely does NOT send messages to your BMW if you have this off.

Attached is a screen print of my settings in "Notifications...Messages."

Also, it does take a moment for the car and iPhone to sync stuff, on the first time. So don't be in too much of a rush... give it a full minute to catch up to what you're doing.

Incidentally, as noted on another posting, I tried the included-in-the-box Lighting-to-USB cable, and all of the Connected Drive stuff DOES work.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12720163

Attached Images

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #115
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

You can also choose banner as opposed to alerts. This works as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #116
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Current Release:
It should be addressed in the next iOS 6 update, you meant.

Email display was working in iOS 6 Rev 3 Beta version with UPD1004. Therefore the problem resides in the iOS 6 release version MAP support.

Last edited by Technic; 09-27-2012 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #117
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It should be addressed in the next iOS 6 update, you meant.

Email display was working in iOS 6 Rev 3 Beta version with UPD1004. Therefore the problem resides in the iOS 6 relase version MAP support.
Yep, that seems logical as I experienced solid MAP performance for both emails & sms under Beta 3. Someone issued a support issue here with BMW AG the other day (see post #108) and it was eluded that a new BT update was going to resolve the issue. Apple had the opportunity to make changes in the GM as Beta 4 had issues. Maybe the protocol has been tightened up and fix resides on the BT f/w side. Nevertheless, the fix can be either one of the two or both. I guess time will tell.
      09-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #118
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, that seems logical as I experienced solid MAP performance for both emails & sms under Beta 3. Someone with a support issue here with BMW AG the other day (see post #108) and it was eluded that a new BT update was going to resolve the issue. Apple had the opportunity to make changes in the GM as Beta 4 had issues. Maybe the protocol has been tightened up and fix resides on the BT f/w side. Nevertheless, the fix can be either one of the two or both. I guess time will tell.
That's true... however, I do not see why BMW have to fix an Apple MAP implementation issue when there is no issue with the Blackberry MAP implementation for the last 2 years or so.

I can see a Combox firmware update soon to meet general feature compatibility issues with the many current and upcoming phones in the market as the last update was last year, though. It is overdue.

This MAP email -and quite a few other iPhone 5 nagging- issues should be taken care of in the next iOS 6 update... IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #119
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Now that I've used this for a couple of days, a comment about the functionality:

a) The overall approach makes sense in how BMW wants to introduce communications technology to the vehicle. The Media Snap-In Adapter was a bit inconvenient in that it took the iPhone out of view and into the arm-rest area. But the "upside" to this plan is that a driver is not taking his or her eyes from the road * to text or dial. When the casual reader is informed that Facebook or News/RSS can be sent to the BMW, they don't know the full story that FB and News is in an abbreviated format, and that the user is not directly manipulating the iPhone.

b) This concept carries out to the transmission of text/SMS and (eventually, again) e-mail messages to the iDrive screen. In this case, the user must have the iPhone screen locked, so that again as a deterrent, the driver is not directly manipulating the iPhone...and this is strictly a one-way data flow TO the iDrive. Safety.

c) However (and the point of this posting), when the driver is using the technique of (b) above, and the mail icon shows on iDrive, the safety factor takes a figurative drive off a cliff. On the iDrive controller, typically, the driver must press the Menu button once, then rotate to "Office," then push left to get the three menus, then select "Current Messages," then wait for the refresh filter to apply, then press down on the iDrive controller -- or scroll to a particular new message -- to pull up the actual message. That's at least five physical motions with the iDrive controller.... and, frankly, with an iPhone in my belt-clip, I can unlock it, click "Messages" app, and usually see the most current message. It's faster for me to use the iPhone, and, I would argue, safer.

d) ...Which is inconsistent with BMW's goals. If BMW actually plans another software update for the car to address messaging, I'd like to see a short-cut built into the existing buttons. Propose that:
- An envelope icon appears on iDrive screen...
- the driver does a double-click on the Menu button and is instantly taken to the most-recent message (whether text/SMS or email). That's ONE physical interaction. If that particular message is not the desired message, then left-push the iDrive controller which goes up to the filtered list.

Is there a way to get a suggestion like that sent to BMW AG?

* perhaps a few inches from the road, by viewing the big iDrive screen, but at least not looking down at the lower part of the steering wheel with an iPhone in-hand.

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #120
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y
Now that I've used this for a couple of days, a comment about the functionality:

a) The overall approach makes sense in how BMW wants to introduce communications technology to the vehicle. The Media Snap-In Adapter was a bit inconvenient in that it took the iPhone out of view and into the arm-rest area. But the "upside" to this plan is that a driver is not taking his or her eyes from the road * to text or dial. When the casual reader is informed that Facebook or News/RSS can be sent to the BMW, they don't know the full story that FB and News is in an abbreviated format, and that the user is not directly manipulating the iPhone.

b) This concept carries out to the transmission of text/SMS and (eventually, again) e-mail messages to the iDrive screen. In this case, the user must have the iPhone screen locked, so that again as a deterrent, the driver is not directly manipulating the iPhone...and this is strictly a one-way data flow TO the iDrive. Safety.

c) However (and the point of this posting), when the driver is using the technique of (b) above, and the mail icon shows on iDrive, the safety factor takes a figurative drive off a cliff. On the iDrive controller, typically, the driver must press the Menu button once, then rotate to "Office," then push left to get the three menus, then select "Current Messages," then wait for the refresh filter to apply, then press down on the iDrive controller -- or scroll to a particular new message -- to pull up the actual message. That's at least five physical motions with the iDrive controller.... and, frankly, with an iPhone in my belt-clip, I can unlock it, click "Messages" app, and usually see the most current message. It's faster for me to use the iPhone, and, I would argue, safer.

d) ...Which is inconsistent with BMW's goals. If BMW actually plans another software update for the car to address messaging, I'd like to see a short-cut built into the existing buttons. Propose that:
- An envelope icon appears on iDrive screen...
- the driver does a double-click on the Menu button and is instantly taken to the most-recent message (whether text/SMS or email). That's ONE physical interaction. If that particular message is not the desired message, then left-push the iDrive controller which goes up to the filtered list.

Is there a way to get a suggestion like that sent to BMW AG?

* perhaps a few inches from the road, by viewing the big iDrive screen, but at least not looking down at the lower part of the steering wheel with an iPhone in-hand.
I agree. I have attempted to reduce the number if clicks by programming one of my 6 programmable buttons to go directly to messages. Then scroll down, select and press play.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #121
dakine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mineral white e92 M3

anyone else only see "contacts" under office in iDrive? screen is locked and notifications are set.
office is checked in bluetooth settings, phone was deleted and re-paired via bluetooth.
i'm using a 3gs. not sure what i'm doing wrong, please help.

has anyone gotten sms messages to work while using bmw apps and internet radio or must the screen be locked to use these feathers?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #122
Caspita
Turbo Guru
Rep
Drives: 2011.99 E92 ///M

I switched over to the iPhone over the weekend from my blackberry. When I go to office I still see contacts and messages, but when I receive an email or a text my message folder within the iDrive still shows up as empty (I understand that emails don't show up properly just yet). I have verified the setting within the phone as well as the car, and still haven't been able to figure out a solution to get this to work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Casp Media |
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #123
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspita View Post
I switched over to the iPhone over the weekend from my blackberry. When I go to office I still see contacts and messages, but when I receive an email or a text my message folder within the iDrive still shows up as empty (I understand that emails don't show up properly just yet). I have verified the setting within the phone as well as the car, and still haven't been able to figure out a solution to get this to work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
if you only see "contacts" and "messages" then I believe you need to update your software...you should be seeing "current office" in addition to the two above if a text is sent

*See pics in post #1, per the OP

Last edited by khaye1; 09-26-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #124
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post

I think what BMW would actually want you to do is use voice commands to navigate to the msg versus use the iDrive, so you never take your hands off the road. My car is on a boat, but during ED they showed me calling, navigating, etc all through voice commands, so I think that is probably what BMW would ideally like for users to do.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #125
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Yes, no email notification in idrive.

I got an sms the other day and the icon was there when I looked at the screen. No gong or audible notification for sms. When I saw the sms it was about 10 minutes after it had arrived. I don't know how soon it got pushed into the idrive. I had the music blazing hence the reason I didn't here the notification on the iphone.
      09-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #126
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

the notification should've come through the car speakers...at least mine does. I did have an issue with sound not coming through from both phones and car speakers initially but un-pairing and re-pairing the phone fixed that issue. So far so good, I haven't had any issues since the upgrade.
      09-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #127
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

I seem to be missing the Current Office item. Can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I've upgraded the software to the 10004 version, repaired my iPhone 5, checked the Bluetooth options (Office is checked), and have the necessary notification settings for iOS.

Did I miss something?

-- EDIT -------------------------------

Ok, I think I have it working.

Turns out I forgot to enable Notifications under the iOS Bluetooth pairing settings. This still didn't make Current Office appear, but then I sent myself a test text and now I have that option. Set one of my preset buttons to the message screen so I can get there faster.

Texts work and as much discussed already, email notifications don't.

Last edited by eisenb11; 09-25-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #128
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I just got a 2013 and still needed the update. Anyway it is recognizing my messages but not my emails. Q: I was afraid I was loading an older version from the sight but I am thinking it will not allow to do that - correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #129
DominionXX
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine White Coupe

I just saw this on BMWUSA site....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #130
M3 DCT
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Space Grey M3

Garage List
2012 x5 40d M Sport  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [10.00]
Beta IOS6

if BMW website states that emails wont work on iDrive - how did the OP get it to work on the BETA release of IOS6 then? It does not make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #131
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 DCT View Post
if BMW website states that emails wont work on iDrive - how did the OP get it to work on the BETA release of IOS6 then? It does not make sense?
The Beta contains functions that are not available to the public release. They were probably testing it out and removed it prior to release.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:44 PM   #132
DominionXX
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine White Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The Beta contains functions that are not available to the public release. They were probably testing it out and removed it prior to release.
That is what I think as well....
Now, I have been able to easily get SMS/text to work with no issues at all. Mail has been another story.

Here is what I have discovered:

I can't get email notification to work on my iPhone 4s, with IOS 6. if I can't get this working on the iPhone, then there is no way I will be able to get it to work in the car. I have only tested by sending a message to myself from another email account... All setting on my iPhone have been checked, and I think they are right. I know they are right, since messages pop up in lock screen, and I just mimicked those setting for email.

**EDIT**
Ok, little update.. I have now been able to get my emails to pop up on the lock screen... again, I have not introduced the car in the picture yet.

I needed to set my emails to PUSH, rather than FETCH.. not sure if this has been discussed in the thread..
If you set your email account on the iPhone to FETCH, it will take a minimum of 15 minutes to "fetch" the email off the server.
Where as PUSH, gives you the email from the server the second the server gets it.
Unfortunately, only one of my email accounts supports PUSH, and it isn't one that I use often.

OK, I am now off to test the iPhone in my new 2013 M3..

Hahahaha, email still doesn't work in the car. Not a total loss, cause now I get emails on my lock screen :-)

Last edited by DominionXX; 10-02-2012 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: new info
Appreciate 0