BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

When does the new Xbox (720?) come out?

I've had an Xbox for a few years now...just a casual player, mostly shooters.

My wife was wondering if I was interested in the Kinect. I mentioned that it might be good to wait for the first generation bugs to get worked out, and also get one that isn't compromised to work with the relatively low-power, antiquated 360.

The 360 has been out since 2005. I'm sure it'll be supported for quite a few more years, but I also imagine a replacement is due in the next year or two since it's been out so long. Six years or so seems to be about right.

Any rumors on what's on the horizon?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

i think you should get the kinect. it's pretty fun and i'm sure you and your wife will have some fun playing it (even if she's not into video games). its more of an "activity" that is most fun when you play with family and friends. i have the original xbox model and it works fine with it. i haven't experienced any glitches or bugs so far. just make sure you have a large play area
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Probably not until late 2012 at the earliest, more likely 2013 or 2014. MS is trying to get as much life out of the 360 as they can before dropping billions on developing a new console.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I've had an Xbox for a few years now...just a casual player, mostly shooters.

My wife was wondering if I was interested in the Kinect. I mentioned that it might be good to wait for the first generation bugs to get worked out, and also get one that isn't compromised to work with the relatively low-power, antiquated 360.

The 360 has been out since 2005. I'm sure it'll be supported for quite a few more years, but I also imagine a replacement is due in the next year or two since it's been out so long. Six years or so seems to be about right.

Any rumors on what's on the horizon?
I'm gonna try and find the article for you, but it was talking about how there might not be a PS3/XBOX replacement for a few years to come. Something to do with the move to kinect/wii styles of gameplay, as well as current games not even using the full capacity of the system.

Not the same article but talks about xbox :XBOX expected 10 year lifespan

Last edited by gun6slinger9; 12-13-2010 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
carve
Major
Rep

Well, the PS2 was said to also have a 10-year lifespan, but Sony intends to extend that because it's still selling. Just because the 360 will have a 10 year life doesn't mean something new won't be along before the 10 years are up.

I heard it was a challenge to develop the Kinect to work with the old 360 hardware, and that there are sometimes lag issues, and other compromises that had to be made. Understandable, doing somethign so advanced which wasn't conceived of when the 360 was developed.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
I'm gonna try and find the article for you, but it was talking about how there might not be a PS3/XBOX replacement for a few years to come. Something to do with the move to kinect/wii styles of gameplay, as well as current games not even using the full capacity of the system.

Not the same article but talks about xbox :XBOX expected 10 year lifespan
im sorry but that is not true at all. The Xbox360 and PS3 are already on outdated hardware. Developers are struggling to code for these systems. Most console games don't even have 1080p output while PC games easily push 2400x2100.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

There is plenty of life in the 360 yet. I think the Wii showed that mainstream gaming is no longer purely about the greatest graphical hardware etc. And that's obviously the idea with Kinect (which looks to be successful so far), they are going to try and extend out the life of the system before making any other jump forward in technology. My guess is 2012-2013 at least before a new system hits.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
im sorry but that is not true at all. The Xbox360 and PS3 are already on outdated hardware. Developers are struggling to code for these systems. Most console games don't even have 1080p output while PC games easily push 2400x2100.

this, honestly the easiest comparison to make is compare a console to a PC...it'll show you roughly how out ofdate it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

PC gaming is a whole different level. I much rather play black ops on my PC then on xbox. I think that goes for any game that is available on both really. I just play on xbox to play with my noob friends Games always look 100x better and for me control using a mouse is way easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
PC gaming is a whole different level. I much rather play black ops on my PC then on xbox. I think that goes for any game that is available on both really. I just play on xbox to play with my noob friends Games always look 100x better and for me control using a mouse is way easier.
No doubt...the new consoles need to hurry up and come out, these old pieces of shit are holding PC gaming back.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
carve
Major
Rep

I used to be into PC gaming, but it's just too damn expensive. With a console, you just need a relatively affordable piece of hardware every 6 years or so. With a PC, just upgrading your GPU can cost as much as a console. I really do miss using a mouse on FPS games though. I'm not accurate at all with the controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post

agreed, but gives you an idea of the potential of the video games.
i.e. completely different than whomever was saying games weren't using all the potential.

If the PC games are using the potential of the current PC market....then the console can use some upgrades as welll
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I just couldnt bother with PC gaming anymore. I want gaming to be fun without being too serious, and cheap. Consoles are it unless PC's offer something other than better eye candy to tempt me. ($400 for a decent GTX480?)

Plus, most of the really cool stuff like GT5, Forza etc. don't even come with made for PC versions. You might catch me playing the old Rise of Nations or Age of Empires once in a while though.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Agreed, however that is just the graphics output. Microsoft and Sony are moving towards an interactive gameplay model where graphics are not as crucial, anyone that wants the best graphics would go to PC gaming. There will never be a console with better specs than a PC gaming rig that does not cost a fortune and take up as much space as a PC.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I just couldnt bother with PC gaming anymore. I want gaming to be fun without being too serious, and cheap. Consoles are it unless PC's offer something other than better eye candy to tempt me. ($400 for a decent GTX480?)
You can spend $600-800 and get a PC that will play most games at high graphics and res...

Also, PC games are vastly cheaper than console games and the versions are always superior. Heard of mods? brb infinite replayability

Sales all the time...and epic sales every now and then. Lol at paying $65 for a console game. Fuck that mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I used to be into PC gaming, but it's just too damn expensive. With a console, you just need a relatively affordable piece of hardware every 6 years or so. With a PC, just upgrading your GPU can cost as much as a console. I really do miss using a mouse on FPS games though. I'm not accurate at all with the controller.
Not as expensive as you make it out to be. You needed a PC anyway (min $400 for a desktop), so just add what you would've paid for a console $300-400 and you have a budget of $800 at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun6slinger9 View Post
Agreed, however that is just the graphics output. Microsoft and Sony are moving towards an interactive gameplay model where graphics are not as crucial, anyone that wants the best graphics would go to PC gaming. There will never be a console with better specs than a PC gaming rig that does not cost a fortune and take up as much space as a PC.
Not really. PS3 lacks in ram which is why GT5 cut so many features out to implement 3D. Xbox just lacks in everything. And graphics cards now a days aren't that expensive. You can pick up a very decent card for around 200 and it will play most games just fine on max settings.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #17
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
You might catch me playing the old Rise of Nations or Age of Empires once in a while though.
Rogan?

Last edited by Zephyr15; 12-15-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

If this is true then none of us will be able to buy it since the world is coming to an end according to the Mayan calander, and Al Gore. So it is a pretty bad marketing strategy for Microsoft I guess who ever is left under ground after the apocalypse will get them no problem, and for free I would imagine, but I doubt the servers will be working, so no online gaming for them! Boy, you may as well be dead in that situation. Who wants to play the same campaign missions over and over again.

Looks like we got another 2 solid years of prime gaming left. Make the most of it Y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Probably not until late 2012 at the earliest, more likely 2013 or 2014. MS is trying to get as much life out of the 360 as they can before dropping billions on developing a new console.