BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #89
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Yes you read it wrong Stephan, according to him it "WILL" happen, hence the reaction you saw here, I'm surprised that surprised you, lol.
Actually, I did not read it wrong at all Drew. I very simply read it along with the other comments made by the author and in the context the author intended.

Sorry buddy, it is you that is mistaken. And citing the last couple sentences of the post carried over to this new thread does not change what Sal actually said, the restated, and then said again slowly . . . , lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #90
tazam3
Private
Rep
Drives: Turbo M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
If this guys is as world famous as you say, then name him. If he's anonymous, then there's no way to verify it. Besides, if he's anonymous then he's likely a nobody.

Hes not a nobody, unless you call holding 5 patents in Hydrogen fueled engine technology a nobody. He knows WAY more then you or me.

Quote:
Not necessarily. ION detection measures the electrical properties of the gas that was burned in the cylinder. The gasolines probably all have the same or very similar electrical ION properties. Without even knowing the chemical make up of meth (since I never took chemistry), I'd be very inclinded to assume it's electrical properties are completely different than any gasoline you could burn in your motor.

Different gasoline with different amount of ethanol have different electonic properties associated with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #91
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SCM3 View Post
Actually, I did not read it wrong at all Drew. I very simply read it along with the other comments made by the author and in the context the author intended.
You interpreted it one way, myself another, fair enough buddy.
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #92
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdu4ea View Post
To the BMW tuners -- does the S65 knock detection system work by calculating the peak pressure point, or does it just compare the knock current/voltage against tabulated values?
Since no one answered I will. The system works by measuring electrical resistance between between the spark plug electrode of ionized fuel (it ionizes once it is burnt). As you said all this data is compared to data that is tabulated using very complex algorithms. I understand a pre-ignition will cause a very different ionization measurement as the source of the spark is not at the plug which it knows is the norm but which ever part of the combustion chamber caused the ignition.

It is not a very fancy system as you can see but I guess it works for its application. I do not think anyone can tune any changes to this system as the maps are several hundred pages of bytes and I also do not think it can be switched off as the same system is used for several other engine purposes including i.e missfires etc.
      03-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #93
tazam3
Private
Rep

Quote:
OK, now we have something to work with that will make it much more difficult for you not to post his name. Patents are a matter of public record (including the patent holders name), and many of us read patents on a regular basis as part of our jobs. So, list his patents and/or give us his name so our readers can determine if he's somebody that has any relevant information with respect to this discussion. He may hold patents in unrelated hydrogen engine technology, but that doesn't make him an expert in the MSS60 ECU.
Lol when the time is right sure. I don't know if the guy wants his name posted. From what I know he also a professor at a university.

It's not my right to post the individuals information but I will if he gives the ok.

Anyways what are your credentials in the topic of the MSS60 tuning?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #94
tazam3
Private
Rep

Quote:
LOL even louder. If he's a patent holder, his name's already posted at the uspto.gov web site. It doesn't get much more public than that. But as a professor, I think you answered the question: he's neither a world famous tuner like you originally said (but then deleted your own claims), nor anybody with relevant information about the MSS60 ECU.

LOL. I'm not claiming expertise about MSS60; and I'm not even discussing any technical details of how it works. Therefore I don't need to provide any credentials on this subject. You're the one who made the earlier claims that this "world famous tuner" had something to say that would be of major importance. Funny that he's now been downgraded to a professor in a glass bubble at a university.
Who said anything about him being a world famous tuner? He's a professor holding a couple patents and knows alot about this topic. That's it. Why can't you understand that? I'm not posting his name until I get an ok. Geez man.

Glass bubble? Lmao. Come on man you're more mature then this, why are you attacking me?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #95
MspiredM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Turbo e46 M3

Quote:
LOL even louder. If he's a patent holder, his name's already posted at the uspto.gov web site. It doesn't get much more public than that. But as a professor, I think you answered the question: he's neither a world famous tuner like you originally said (but then deleted your own claims), nor anybody with relevant information about the MSS60 ECU.

LOL. I'm not claiming expertise about MSS60; and I'm not even discussing any technical details of how it works. Therefore I don't need to provide any credentials on this subject. You're the one who made the earlier claims that this "world famous tuner" had something to say that would be of major importance. Funny that he's now been downgraded to a professor in a glass bubble at a university.
What are LSB's credentials with dealing with the s65?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #96
MspiredM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Turbo e46 M3

Quote:
I think you mean "LBM" -- not "LSB." I think you need to ask him. I have no credentials to speak about his credentials.
Yes, that's what I meant, LBM/Celveland
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #97
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

A few were wondering why low boost would cause knock.

The simple answer is this, either not enough octane or too much timing.

I've never been a fan of dyno tuning, seen too many motors get hurt. And you only leave the dyno to have to re-tune again for the track because there is no load on the motor. Just my .02.....

As most of you know the S65 motor is high-revving, high-compression. There are some great kits out there making good power, but who knows what the longevity will be. The proper way to do it would be to change the pistons or run a thicker copper head gasket to lower the compression.

Last edited by M3Captain; 03-19-2010 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #98
tazam3
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is a side-show to this discussion. Back in post #16 you made that claim before editing your own comments to delete it. I quoted it and prepared a response before deciding it wasn't worth it. Now, I wish I had.
Huh I didn't delete, if anything I was adding comments. And yes I've been talking to a "world famous very experienced tuner" on this subject as well. From what I'm getting the amount of meth injected matters and unless it's a huge amount it should hold no effect on the knock system. Meth will definitely help prevent detonation though.

What is your experience with high performance engines and tuning? Just a question, since you can question everyone else on anything you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #99
M3Captain
Banned
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3 and a McDonnell Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazam3 View Post
Huh I didn't delete, if anything I was adding comments. And yes I've been talking to a "world famous very experienced tuner" on this subject as well. From what I'm getting the amount of meth injected matters and unless it's a huge amount it should hold no effect on the knock system. Meth will definitely help prevent detonation though.

What is your experience with high performance engines and tuning? Just a question, since you can question everyone else on anything you want.
I'm also wondering what kind of deposits will be left on the valves as a result of using meth.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #100
05SCM33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
I'm also wondering what kind of deposits will be left on the valves as a result of using meth.
Why in the hell are you asking about using methanol?

. . . can't you see there is chest thumping and creditial checking that needs to be done man!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #101
tazam3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Captain View Post
Depends on the amount and if it's straight meth. Meth will evaporate quickly especially if used in a low amount.

I used water/meth for 3 years with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #102
SleepyE90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bavarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
No one is keeping the owner a secret, basically everyone knows my car is at Gintani but they have no idea what I am doing there... Well, most don't.
I saw your car today at Gintani and was told what is going on.
I must say... WOW!
The sound, the power, the low-ness.
You're car is easily the greatest M3 of all time.
ENJOY!