BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

08-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #23
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
[*]S.F. and L.A. -- I've never considered moving to California, however, because I have a thing about natural disasters. Quite simply, I'm not willingly going to move to places prone to unpredictable natural disasters like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
As opposed to regular, annual blizzards, hurricanes, and tornadoes?
      08-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
As opposed to regular, annual blizzards, hurricanes, and tornadoes?
DC hardly gets any of those things.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #25
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Parents moved here when I was in 4th grade from Midwest. Liked the area I now live in and have settled in. Mild winters, not excessively hot summers, excellent beer, and food. Ocean and mountains. Hard area to beat.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Born and raised in TX. Lived in every region of the state and done plenty of travel throughout the U.S. and some in Europe. Despite the fact that I really don't like where I "grew up" in the state (West Texas), I couldn't imagine myself living anywhere else. Family up and moved to Denver, CO 11 years ago and I'm still here. I refuse to move there even though they've talked me to death about it and moved several family members there.

I chose San Antonio for college because my best friend of almost 30 years lives here and so do his parents who are like my family. I stayed because, although I really thought I'd always want to move back to Dallas, I like the in-between size of the city that San Antonio is. Just big enough, but not too big. Also, if you go outside the city west, you're surrounded by the beautiful TX Hill Country instead of nothingness (DFW area) or swamp (Houston).

That said, I would consider moving back to North Dallas.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #27
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Because I was born here 63 years ago, never had any reason to move. Although if I win the lotto I'm moving to Western Australia, my daughter and my beautiful grandchildren live there, a fantastic, beautiful country
      08-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #28
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Fate has brought me to the GTA....somehow I love this place.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #29
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
DC hardly gets any of those things.
We hardly get earthquakes of any significance here... And there are no volcanoes in California.
      08-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Uh aren't most mountains volcanos also? Just not currently active.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #31
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

So...I have lived a somewhat nomad type of life growing up...moved many times due to divorce, etc....but always in NC, from Eastern NC to the mountains.

Mom re-married when I was 11 and we settled into a SMALL town on the NC/SC border at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains - this is where I lived until college. Looking back, I never really imagined living outside of the mountains until going off to college having lived in Columbia SC, Charleston SC, Greenville SC, Tampa FL for a short time in Grad school; but eventually made my way back home to Asheville, NC where I lived for 10 years until about 3 years ago.

I had a great opportunity to move for work to the middle part of the state (NC) and continue to enjoy a rural lifestyle with metro amenities less than 15 miles from my home (Winston Salem, Greensboro, High Point). I have 2 lakes within a mile and go often with the Labs and the boat...what really suprised me was the R/E buying power of the $1 here compared to the Mountains...weird.

Still own the NC Mountain house and plan to keep it as it is almost paid off...

Some years back, when the R/E market imploded - I bought property in Sarasota FL on the Gulf. I keep this place rented (especially during the winter) and plan to one day enjoy the warm sun of FL in the winter months, and summers in mountains.

Now before all you FL people start fussing about my plans ( ) - my brother in law has called Sarasota home for almost 15 years and is the only sibling of my wife. I am an only child - so his family will eventually be our only living relatives...This is my story and I am sticking to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.

Last edited by ASBSECU E93; 08-25-2015 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #32
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I was born in DC. I have a few memories, none of them pleasant. Dad finished his JD in LA, then bought a new house in the 'Nard, and called mom to fly us out. My parents still own that house.

I moved a bit into the "country" but people can wave at me as they drive by on the 101. I'm both far enough and near enough to LA to get into the city for events. There have been more than one day where I snow ski in the morning, and catch an evening session of waves in the same day. The recent "hot" days it got to low 80s, and sometimes I wake up in the winter with frost on the roof until the sun comes up.

My family, and most of my wife's are all here. I have a decent job that keeps us comfortable, and great community sports for my kids to develop as good, strong humans.
Appreciate 2
      08-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #33
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

^ Lived in DC... can confirm... terrible place to live and raise a family.

DC and the surrounding suburbs are some of the most expensive in the nation. Services like babysitting and the like are through the roof... Winter sucks.... taxes sky high... unfriendly people.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #34
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I left at 18 months, and most of those bad memories were from the babysitter's house.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #35
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
^ Lived in DC... can confirm... terrible place to live and raise a family.

DC and the surrounding suburbs are some of the most expensive in the nation. Services like babysitting and the like are through the roof... Winter sucks.... taxes sky high... unfriendly people.
Sounds like NYC lol.

Born and raised on Long Island. Wife grew up on LI as well but is a NYC person at heart so she has pulled me there. Would love to relocate to somewhere that I can get more for my money but doesn't look like that's in the cards.

However, looking to get a weekend place upstate a bit that the family can share. I think that would give the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #36
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
weather.

relocated from chicago to orange county california purely for the weather.
      08-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #37
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Born in San Diego, father was Navy so we moved a lot(Japan, SF, Seattle, HI back to SD). Went to High School and College in SD got a job with General Dynamics out of College but was laid off 3 times in 2 years. With a new marriage, young wife expecting I moved to OC to work for at the time a big 6 consulting firm in their IT practice, been in OC for the last 27 years. Will not retire here. Too crowded, too much influx of people who do not respect others and too many people who think they are the top 5% when in fact they live from check to check(IE watch Bravo you'll get it it's true). Where will I become worm food and gas bubbles, hopefully central CA coast, where I can still surf occasionally and get on the water with the boat on weekends. If not there Tahoe area but in NV.

To those who think CA will fall into the ocean via earthquakes, there's more seismic activity in MO and WA than here on any given time period. I fear the fire storms more than anything because I live on the south eastern edge of the county with nothing behind me but national forest to burn at any point in time.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #38
Kortho
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Uh aren't most mountains volcanos also? Just not currently active.
I can't tell if your serious

Like most of you I live where I do solely because of my career. The nice thing about being in the military is if you don't like where you live just wait a few years and they'll grant you a change of scenery. I consider myself quite lucky though because through the military I've been able to live in some incredible places like Charleston SC, Pearl Harbor HI, and Monterey CA. Can't wait to see where I go next.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #39
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

California is obviously part of the earth with plate movement and mountain formation from it it also has volcanoes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #40
Kortho
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' SO F80

California is apart of the north american plate and the pacific plate which does have relative movement and slip planes ie the San Andreas fault line, and as we all know this causes mountains and valleys to form but I don't think you can make the statement that "most" mountains are volcanos.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #41
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

the shootings and abandoned vehicles
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #42
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Mrs is from here, after much back and forth and consternation I reluctantly agreed to stay though I would go back home (Sydney) in about five seconds if I could.

Toronto is Ok but there is a nothingness to the place, no landscape, no scenery ... just a money making hub and we always seem to be on planes looking for somewhere else to recreate. The weather is also catastrophically bad and impacts the quality of life immensely.

But it is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #43
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Man a lot of hate for Toronto here...You guys need to move the fuck out if you don't like it.

-Born and Raised in Toronto.
-Went to University here, got a job at at one of the largest banks in Canada whose head offices are in Toronto.
-My wife moved from Montreal for work at the same bank.
-We got our house way under value (fixer upper) in the Clairlea area of Toronto.
-Family and Friends are a 20 minute walk or 5 minute car ride.
-Family Restaurant is 5 minutes away.
-Jays are in first place.
-Still have hope in the Maple Leafs winning the cup before I move.

I think I'll be here awhile. I don't plan on moving out of the city until I retire.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #44
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kortho View Post
California is apart of the north american plate and the pacific plate which does have relative movement and slip planes ie the San Andreas fault line, and as we all know this causes mountains and valleys to form but I don't think you can make the statement that "most" mountains are volcanos.
You are right but do have potential to be when along the plate. Most aren't i agree.
Appreciate 0