BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord

Unhappy S5 vs. M3

Ok guys! As you know I said I am set on M3 but now my lovely wife is confusing me again.

Below are the factors that will help you understand my confusion.

The next ride will be my DD (Daily Drive)
My work commute is 35 miles one way (70+ round trip plus whatever I put on weekend) Driving on I 287 (fair ride but can get B2B anytime due to no reason)
I don't think I will be doing any track days. (may be once a yr, since I do track days on my R6)

Also want to keep in mind the looks, interior, luxury, weather condition.

I am located in NJ so snow is also a factor I have to keep in mind.

M3 is RWD = oh shit in snow. (may be I am wrong)

I am not sure if S5 vs M3 is a fair comparison but I am looking at the options I have on my hand.

The 1 bigger advantage going with BMW is warranty. No maintenance for 4yr and I may go for 6yr extended plan.

I am all over the place Please help me decide. I am in no rush and I may go for F30 M3.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

You need to give us a bit more. Looks, luxury, interior are all pretty subjective. Are you looking for more performance and or handling? Do you care about final price? What option packages are you looking at for both cars? Are you willing to have a set of dedicated snow tires?

Have you test driven either car?
      05-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
brandonwuwux3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3cs

s5 is a nice luxury coupe no where near a sports car like an m3 so performance wise is a HUGE downgrade imo but as for comfort and AWD the s5 comes out of top and as for interior imo it is a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Shouldn't it be more like S5 vs 335xi?
      05-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Why don't you get a nice 3 Series xDive and add the M and or Sports options (might even save money that way). Still a cool drive. Take a test drive and check it out, remember we have to keep the ladies happy

I know what it feels like ... a few months a go I traded my 2012 MT in for a 2011 M-DCT since my wife decided to only go with one car. So I did just that only to find out 2 weeks later after getting the M-DCT that she now likes to hang on to her car. Well, it's okay now she can drive too when I take my babe for a vacation trip.

So you see you are not alone, wires are alowed to change there minds as long as we can drive what we like

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch M3 View Post
Ok guys! As you know I said I am set on M3 but now my lovely wife is confusing me again.

Below are the factors that will help you understand my confusion.

The next ride will be my DD (Daily Drive)
My work commute is 35 miles one way (70+ round trip plus whatever I put on weekend) Driving on I 287 (fair ride but can get B2B anytime due to no reason)
I don't think I will be doing any track days. (may be once a yr, since I do track days on my R6)

Also want to keep in mind the looks, interior, luxury, weather condition.

I am located in NJ so snow is also a factor I have to keep in mind.

M3 is RWD = oh shit in snow. (may be I am wrong)

I am not sure if S5 vs M3 is a fair comparison but I am looking at the options I have on my hand.

The 1 bigger advantage going with BMW is warranty. No maintenance for 4yr and I may go for 6yr extended plan.

I am all over the place Please help me decide. I am in no rush and I may go for F30 M3.

TIA
RS4 is a better comparison, the S5 is slower. But if snow driving is a concern then the quattro system in the Audi will be way better than a M3 in snow. The M3 is a more engaging car to drive than the S5 but both are great cars, the S5 has a somewhat better interior. The Audi dual clutch is pretty good but not as good as the DCT in the M3. Both cars ride well, I don't know which is more comfortable but I'd say the S5 if I had to choose.

S5 wins in snow, interior
M3 wins in fun to drive, speed, engine sound etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
You need to give us a bit more. Looks, luxury, interior are all pretty subjective. Are you looking for more performance and or handling? Do you care about final price? What option packages are you looking at for both cars? Are you willing to have a set of dedicated snow tires?

Have you test driven either car?
To be honest Price is not the issue. My M3 config is including all 3 packages so yes I am looking for pretty much everything in car

I drive a lot of miles so I want a great driving experience but do not want to compromise on comfort also. (I am not old so I am not too crazy about extremely comfortable seat but don't want any backpain either) you know what i mean.

I have two options for winter, either ride my Accord or get winter tires. I can use some education on winter tires.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
kthxbye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 Coupe

In regards to snow, both cars will be iffy in the snow if you stay on summer tires - AWD does nothing if you can't get any traction. With what we get you'll fine in the M3 with snows on.

I live in NJ as well and went through the same dilemma as you. The car I bought had to be able to be daily driven unless the weather was extremely terrible.

I do think at first glance the Audi has a better looking interior, but after some extended seat time boy is it a handful. So many buttons, everywhere - it really becomes distracting when you need to use one of the buttons. In addition you still have an iDrive type system to manage as well.

The M3 is the everyday car for the guy who enjoys driving. A quote that stands out in many reviews is that the M3 is not really top of class in any one category, but it is consistently at about a 7 in all - very few cars can claim that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Scotch: This thread will probably be moved to the M3 vs subforum.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171

There are some good threads there on the S5 vs the M3 that you might find helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
I almost pulled the trigger on a S5 and thank god I did not. The only thing that S5 has going for is the looks but I still hated the front of it. Besides that it is big, slow and nothing too special.....(oh the roof only tilts which was a disappointment for me)

In my area Audi dealers are also pretending they are selling god gift to you so got tired of dealing with them.

Get your self a nice E92 Xdrive and call it a day..... who needs to pay that much money on a over priced VW........(sorry had to say that )
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 05-21-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch M3 View Post
To be honest Price is not the issue. My M3 config is including all 3 packages so yes I am looking for pretty much everything in car

I drive a lot of miles so I want a great driving experience but do not want to compromise on comfort also. (I am not old so I am not too crazy about extremely comfortable seat but don't want any backpain either) you know what i mean.

I have two options for winter, either ride my Accord or get winter tires. I can use some education on winter tires.

I'd say drive both cars.

With EDC the M3's ride is very dynamic. Comfort mode is firm but not overly so, while Sport is very stiff IMO.

Lots of people love Audi interiors, but they're not for me.

Not sure if this will matter but I do believe the M3 will be a bit more thirsty than the S5, although it sounds like the price of gas wouldn't be a concern for you.
      05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhan View Post
Shouldn't it be more like S5 vs 335xi?
I know but everyone got a 335xi, so don't want to get a common car. No disrespect to any 335xi owners. Plus I simply love M3. I drove once and the ride is extremely awesome. I mean it is like driving a real sport car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
Why don't you get a nice 3 Series xDive and add the M and or Sports options (might even save money that way). Still a cool drive. Take a test drive and check it out, remember we have to keep the ladies happy

I know what it feels like ... a few months a go I traded my 2012 MT in for a 2011 M-DCT since my wife decided to only go with one car. So I did just that only to find out 2 weeks later after getting the M-DCT that she now likes to hang on to her car. Well, it's okay now she can drive too when I take my babe for a vacation trip.

So you see you are not alone, wires are alowed to change there minds as long as we can drive what we like
You got that right brother, gotta keep them happy. Happy wife happy life.

Well I am lucky in that case she said I can get M3 but she brought up some good points about snow, price, comfort, etc. She said at last get what you love and want when you are spending that amount I don't want you to compromise.

So I am still more towards M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
RS4 is a better comparison, the S5 is slower. But if snow driving is a concern then the quattro system in the Audi will be way better than a M3 in snow. The M3 is a more engaging car to drive than the S5 but both are great cars, the S5 has a somewhat better interior. The Audi dual clutch is pretty good but not as good as the DCT in the M3. Both cars ride well, I don't know which is more comfortable but I'd say the S5 if I had to choose.

S5 wins in snow, interior
M3 wins in fun to drive, speed, engine sound etc.
I am under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong) Even if I go with AWD and all season tires vs. RWD with winter tires. The RWD with winter tires will perform much better handling then all season AWD.

The only thing is winter tire = mucho dinero out of my pocketo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbye View Post
In regards to snow, both cars will be iffy in the snow if you stay on summer tires - AWD does nothing if you can't get any traction. With what we get you'll fine in the M3 with snows on.

I live in NJ as well and went through the same dilemma as you. The car I bought had to be able to be daily driven unless the weather was extremely terrible.

I do think at first glance the Audi has a better looking interior, but after some extended seat time boy is it a handful. So many buttons, everywhere - it really becomes distracting when you need to use one of the buttons. In addition you still have an iDrive type system to manage as well.

The M3 is the everyday car for the guy who enjoys driving. A quote that stands out in many reviews is that the M3 is not really top of class in any one category, but it is consistently at about a 7 in all - very few cars can claim that.

Thank you for your input I guess everyone is going through the same phase when it comes to M3.

I also felt the same that in Audi S5 with all that buttons its just too much going on vs. M3 keeping it simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Scotch: This thread will probably be moved to the M3 vs subforum.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=171

There are some good threads there on the S5 vs the M3 that you might find helpful.
Sorry for posting it in wrong section and thank you for the link I will def check the other threads out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I almost pulled the trigger on a S5 and thanks god I did not. The only thing that S5 has going for is the looks but I still hated the front of it. Besides that it is big, slow and nothing too special.....(oh the roof only tilts which was a disappointment for me)

In my area Audi dealers are also pretending they are selling god gift to you so got tired of dealing with them.

Get your self a nice E92 Xdrive and call it a day..... who needs to pay that much money on a over priced VW........(sorry had to say that )
Lmao @ VW

I also think that LED is so played out that now every mother effing car is rolling with LED lights makes BMW stand out even more.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

i was in the same predicament as you - except it doesn't snow in Houston enough to make a difference - ever.

I test drove both of them (and the C63 Sedan) and M3 took the cake for me. Way nicer drive and power than the S5. Way better transmission (at the time) than the C63. The S5 does look freaking awesome but not comparable to the M3.

BTW you are asking a bunch of M3 guys if an M3 is better than an Audi. Lol. Kinda biased place to ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
i was in the same predicament as you - except it doesn't snow in Houston enough to make a difference - ever.

I test drove both of them (and the C63 Sedan) and M3 took the cake for me. Way nicer drive and power than the S5. Way better transmission (at the time) than the C63. The S5 does look freaking awesome but not comparable to the M3.

BTW you are asking a bunch of M3 guys if an M3 is better than an Audi. Lol. Kinda biased place to ask.
LOL! I asked on other forums too and M3 wins pretty much every where. I think what I am keep forgetting is BMW = driving experience vs. Audi = looks and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

it will be an auto? (DCT, DSG)?
the 13 S5 is only offered in auto + 6 cylinder supercharged, correct?

Although yes it would NOT be a "fair" comparison S5 vs M3, but i totally understand where you are coming from.

I'm thinkin S4...might be better choice with 6MT if you want a quite unique sport sedan that doens't eat up crazy gas money on your 70 mile commute and still fun to drive on local roads and highways.

If you don't drive on track, I say BS to people who say "BMW drives so much better" when they actually drive 15 mile commute on 35mph~45mph speed limit roads.

And I live around where you live, I really wouldn't drive my M3 on that much commute on this local roads...S4 would be much better bet, although M3 will be a blast to drive on weekends on some nice mountain roads around here and tracks.

M3 is in fact better in value, unique, and as a sports car. 100 steps ahead of Audi S models.

Keep test driving and get what you need. Good Luck with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

There is a thread like this in the M3 Vs... section.

I've had both... I can say that S5 was better in the snow (obviously) and (to me only) it looked prettier. I loved the Led Lights... With Magnaflow exhaust and AWE downpipe, it sounded great... but it was slow and heavy.

If you're thinking about M3 vs S5... you should look into RS5 which is ready to be ordered and the base price is 68,900.

Good luck.

EDIT: Here is the thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664158
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
it will be an auto? (DCT, DSG)?
the 13 S5 is only offered in auto + 6 cylinder supercharged, correct?

Although yes it would NOT be a "fair" comparison S5 vs M3, but i totally understand where you are coming from.

I'm thinkin S4...might be better choice with 6MT if you want a quite unique sport sedan that doens't eat up crazy gas money on your 70 mile commute and still fun to drive on local roads and highways.

If you don't drive on track, I say BS to people who say "BMW drives so much better" when they actually drive 15 mile commute on 35mph~45mph speed limit roads.

And I live around where you live, I really wouldn't drive my M3 on that much commute on this local roads...S4 would be much better bet, although M3 will be a blast to drive on weekends on some nice mountain roads around here and tracks.

M3 is in fact better in value, unique, and as a sports car. 100 steps ahead of Audi S models.

Keep test driving and get what you need. Good Luck with your choice!
All valid points I think best bet is to test drive and also compare the gas price too. but if V6 M3 gives better gas mileage as I suspect it will get easier to decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

If you're wife is a major factoring your end choice, then get an S5.
      05-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
If you're wife is a major factoring your end choice, then get an S5.
I have no restrictions from Wifey. I am a lucky son of a gun.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

If money is no option buy the M3 and a nice used 328xi for the winter.

Snow shouldn't ne am issue though. I have only a 330i and with snows its awesome in the winter (And we get more snow than you do). It's better in the snow than my Subaru wrx was quite frankly.
      05-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
EvosM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: WTB E90 M3

Get an M3 if you want the better performer. Get the S5 if you want a fast, luxury AWD sports car. The M3 wins in all categories imaginable (yes I like the M3's interior better) in my books but the S5 is still a pretty awesome car. I recommend you buy an M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Scotch M3
BMW Virgin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
If money is no option buy the M3 and a nice used 328xi for the winter.

Snow shouldn't ne am issue though. I have only a 330i and with snows its awesome in the winter (And we get more snow than you do). It's better in the snow than my Subaru wrx was quite frankly.

I will keep my Accord. I only have 135k on Accord and If I plan to ride just in winter.

This way I can enjoy M3 in summer and avoid snow days with good old Accord with winter tires.
Appreciate 0