BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

02-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4 View Post
If you're set on tracking a car, why didn't you pick up a slightly used z06? Far better than the Boss in every single way.

Good luck with chinese built transmission too. Most people I know are holding out for the 2013. Including my cousin, who works on them for a living.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.ph...-transmission/
Absolutely. Z06 is a monster. Hell of a car.. only American car I'd buy.
A used Z06 costs at least 30% more than a new Boss. I'm not mr. money Bags. And again WARRANTY for TRACK use is better on the BOSS.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #24
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Well I say MAZEL TOV! CONGRATS!

I've seen a few on the track and they look awesome and I dig the interior as well. Just saw one the other day and I got excited and stalked it for a bit. There are many cars just like there are ice cream flavor, glad you bought what you enjoy!

and btw dont let this forum get you down. I have no idea why there is so much negativity in here but it is an internet forum and every asshole has an opinion so...I know a few people who stopped posting in here cause everyone just thrashed shit apart.

Post up some pics inside and out!
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #25
jtvr4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
A used Z06 costs at least 30% more than a new Boss. I'm not mr. money Bags. And again WARRANTY for TRACK use is better on the BOSS.

Bullshit. You can get a used 05 to 07 for 35k to 40k and a gmac warranty for 2k on top of it. Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #26
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4
Quote:

Bullshit. You can get a used 05 to 07 for 35k to 40k and a gmac warranty for 2k on top of it. Ask me how I know.
Sad this is where you want to take this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
Well I say MAZEL TOV! CONGRATS!

I've seen a few on the track and they look awesome and I dig the interior as well. Just saw one the other day and I got excited and stalked it for a bit. There are many cars just like there are ice cream flavor, glad you bought what you enjoy!

and btw dont let this forum get you down. I have no idea why there is so much negativity in here but it is an internet forum and every asshole has an opinion so...I know a few people who stopped posting in here cause everyone just thrashed shit apart.

Post up some pics inside and out!
Thank you DD GT3 RD!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #28
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I'm not trying to rain on your parade because I believe the pony is a better car to flog at the track in many ways. However... wait until you have a major problem and then watch the rats jump ship on that warranty coverage they talked about providing. Talk is worthless, whats in the warranty book is what matters when something expensive breaks. Seen it many many times.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:28 AM   #29
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
So, to reiterate, as a driving enthusiast that likes a good handling car more than a badge on a car, and who has loved driving the E90 M3, my early experiences as an owner of a new Boss 302 Laguna Seca have been:

1. in my first track day in the boss Laguna Seca manual trans I posted a slightly faster lap time than I ever did in my e90 m3 with dct in 2.5 years of tracking. I put the same tires on the boss as I've used on my m3. This is a good indicator the boss really is faster, it's not just press hype.

2. The new Boss cost $20k less than my last M3 did.

3. Ford is encouraging me to track the car and they assure me they will fix the car under warranty regardless of whether the issue arises on the track or street (short of an accident of course). This is completely opposite of every BMW SA's attitude I've ever seen.

4. The Boss is more exciting on the track, to me.

5. The Boss is not as good of a daily driver as the M3.

I hope this is helpful to any of you fellow M3 fans that are pursuing great handling track cars for a bargain.

Over and out
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #30
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

You seem like you are just trying to stir ish up here as well as justify your decision. Nobody cares..enjoy your Boss, it's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Congrats Rawls, enjoy the car. Don't worry about the people here being downers, you know there are plenty of fanboys (for every brand) that aren't going to pat you on the back. I would say that you can't really generalize and say that Ford will provide a better warranty safety net for the Boss LS than BMW will for the M3. In my experience it is almost entirely dependent on the dealer, and it sounds like you have a more supportive Ford dealer than for your BMW. I have been lucky to have a good SA and dealer here for BMW that supports taking the M3 to the track.
      02-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes
Congrats Rawls, enjoy the car. Don't worry about the people here being downers, you know there are plenty of fanboys (for every brand) that aren't going to pat you on the back. I would say that you can't really generalize and say that Ford will provide a better warranty safety net for the Boss LS than BMW will for the M3. In my experience it is almost entirely dependent on the dealer, and it sounds like you have a more supportive Ford dealer than for your BMW. I have been lucky to have a good SA and dealer here for BMW that supports taking the M3 to the track.
Thanks signes, well said. I wish there were a more track supportive BMW SA in my area.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

congrats on your purchase OP !
the Boss 302 does look great and seems to perform as well. forget all the haters here

and for those saying "wait until a problem arises and your warranty wont be worth sh**", well, correct me if i am wrong, but it would be the same, if not worse with a M3, right? the only difference is that Ford parts are probably 20-30% less than OEM BMW parts... so even if you're getting fu**ed by the dealer, it wont be quite as painful...

Enjoy your ride !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #34
Merked M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Buy the Boss 302 Laguna Seca for $20k less then the M3 and then spend $20k on track mods. That is a badass car!!!!

The next car, my Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #35
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4
If you're set on tracking a car, why didn't you pick up a slightly used z06? Far better than the Boss in every single way.

Good luck with chinese built transmission too. Most people I know are holding out for the 2013. Including my cousin, who works on them for a living.

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.ph...-transmission/
Slightly used z06 would have cost a lot more than the new boss that COMES WITH a WARRANTY that LETS ME TRACK the car. How many times in one thread am I going to have to point this out as a main reason I bought the car and see value in it?

Oh, and I've heard all about the transmission issues on the boss. But it's nothing like how much complaining I've heard about the BMW transmissions, especially dct (insert link to one of hundreds of dct problem threads here).

I'm beginning to get a strange feeling that I'm not going to get a "congrats" on this thread. Just a bunch of guys trying to make themselves feel better about their position by knocking mine. That's cool I should have known better.
Gratz dude.

I'm actually waiting for the new gt500 in may so I can test drive it.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Congrats on the car love the Boss. Only thing is that Boss needs lighter wheels. The OEM LS wheels are like 32lbs for the rear and darn near 29lbs for the front.

I know of some guys that went with the Forgestar F14s in 19X9.5 and 19X11 and even with tires were lighter than the OEM setup.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Just to be clear on this.I ordered a LS the 1st day they were in the ordering system here in Canada.The order was accepted but was bounced out a month later when Ford of Canada decided that the LS was only going to be available through SVT dealers.Even though our ownership group of 4 Ford dealers controls over 40% of the largest market in Canada we are not able to get an SVT product which the Boss 302 LS is not!Once agin the typical bullshit of dealing with North American product so,I ordered my 2011 M3 the moment I found this out.I was offered other LS's at $20000 over list but that is a very stupid thing to do.
Be prepared for warranty problems if you do need major components due to track use as I am very well aware of how Ford handles their claims if it is not considered a "normal" failure which is no different than any other manufacture handles these claims including BMW or Porsche for track oriented cars that are used as intended.In the last 10 years I had no issues getting a new transmission & differential on my E46 M3 and a transmission on my 1st E92 M3 that were both tracked extensivly.Maybe my attitude & how I approach these things with my dealership makes it much easier to get things done without a hassle.I am also very upfront about tracking my car with the service people & management and I have never had a hassle becuase of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #38
ihatepotholes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: infiniti M45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvr4 View Post
Shows how much you know

First year C6z06 started in 06 not 05. Now what? What kinda bullshit are you gonna pull now?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #39
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've had my '04 Z06 and GMC Envoy repaired by the GM dealership recently at no cost. Each was out of the stated factory warranty period however they still made the replacement as if it was warranted or in good faith.

Z06 window regulator went bad. Envoy threw a rod through the block and required an entire new engine. GMC covered both even though they were out of warranty! Yeah I was shocked.

I highly doubt BMW would do anything remotely close for my M3. It's like pulling teeth to get them to top off my engine oil and its still under factory maintenance and warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #40
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

Quote:
i think its great that your happy with your new car...you should be..its your hard earned money and only you can decide what to do with it...and just let me start off by saying i personally think the new boss lc is a pretty brilliant track car...now for the other side...you do realize there is actually no warranty for track use right??? as the owner of 6 corvettes ( 1 LS3 coupe, 2 C5 Z's, 2 C6 Z's, and a C6 ZR-1) in the past 10 years i can tell you straight up that all the pats on the back your getting and all the encouragement they are throwing your way to run the car on the track is a bunch a crap from a group of guys who are not paying the bill....when my SA and a few service techs found out i was tracking my first C6 Z06 they were all excited and in to it, wanting to hear a million track stories and what kind of times i was running.. the whole time promising me up and down my warranty will not be affected because the Z06 is one of the most purpose built cars on the road...till i snapped a half shaft...then it was "well you track the car, so it's your own fault due to abuse." then about 4 years later with my ZR-1 one of the magnetic ride shocks went..they tried to fight me on this as well saying it was abuse from the track...now no offense to your car but in my opinion at least either a Z06 or a ZR-1 are a little more track ready then the boss...also the boss is a very nice car but its by no means a M3..i'm not a fan boy, i'm just stating fact...theres a reason that there is the price difference...its not some magical formula that ford figured out that no one else can...if you base every thing off track times...i would destroy your average guy in a gallardo or R8 V10 in my last Z06...am i saying the Z06 is a better car? absolutely not, it's not even in the same league..also your on a M3 forum...i dont know what kind of response you thought you were going to get...i hope if anything ever happens your situation ends better then mine did
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #41
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi112 View Post
i think its great that your happy with your new car...you should be..its your hard earned money and only you can decide what to do with it...and just let me start off by saying i personally think the new boss lc is a pretty brilliant track car...now for the other side...you do realize there is actually no warranty for track use right??? as the owner of 6 corvettes ( 1 LS3 coupe, 2 C5 Z's, 2 C6 Z's, and a C6 ZR-1) in the past 10 years i can tell you straight up that all the pats on the back your getting and all the encouragement they are throwing your way to run the car on the track is a bunch a crap from a group of guys who are not paying the bill....when my SA and a few service techs found out i was tracking my first C6 Z06 they were all excited and in to it, wanting to hear a million track stories and what kind of times i was running.. the whole time promising me up and down my warranty will not be affected because the Z06 is one of the most purpose built cars on the road...till i snapped a half shaft...then it was "well you track the car, so it's your own fault due to abuse." then about 4 years later with my ZR-1 one of the magnetic ride shocks went..they tried to fight me on this as well saying it was abuse from the track...now no offense to your car but in my opinion at least either a Z06 or a ZR-1 are a little more track ready then the boss...also the boss is a very nice car but its by no means a M3..i'm not a fan boy, i'm just stating fact...theres a reason that there is the price difference...its not some magical formula that ford figured out that no one else can...if you base every thing off track times...i would destroy your average guy in a gallardo or R8 V10 in my last Z06...am i saying the Z06 is a better car? absolutely not, it's not even in the same league..also your on a M3 forum...i dont know what kind of response you thought you were going to get...i hope if anything ever happens your situation ends better then mine did
I demand pictures of tracked z06 and ZR-1
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #42
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Some of you asked for pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #43
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Sweet car. Ford is doing it right. I wish they would have made the HID's optional on the Boss and Laguna Secas. Worth the weight penalty IMO.

But if your goal was to go fast in a street-driveable car around a racetrack for ~$50k, you're doing it wrong . Just admit it, you got shiny-new-thing-itis and bought something new and badass.
      02-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #44
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
Sweet car. Ford is doing it right. I wish they would have made the HID's optional on the Boss and Laguna Secas. Worth the weight penalty IMO.

But if your goal was to go fast in a street-driveable car around a racetrack for ~$50k, you're doing it wrong . Just admit it, you got shiny-new-thing-itis and bought something new and badass.
Yeah, there was a bit of the shiney-new-thing-itis in this purchase. But it really was time to sell the M3 and this Boss is an incredible, cheaper performer with a better warranty for tracking.
Appreciate 0