BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
martinm1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

Option question-M drive

I am looking to trade an RS4 for an M3 cab and am somewhat confused by the options listing on new cars for sale. Is the M button standard on new cars or is it only with the technology package? I have read that it is standard after sept build, but how do I know if it has it or not? The listings of course do not list the build date and they are not clear if it has the M button. A primary reason for the move is both the cab, but also more aggressive handling/shifting, etc and I love the concept of the M drive with DCT. I have have an elise, the rs4 and a boxster. Looking for a "daily driver" that does not have a top, has speed and handling, but doesn't look too flashy--the M3 pretty much seems to be the only choice that is not a Benz which I just don't care for.
Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm1 View Post
I am looking to trade an RS4 for an M3 cab and am somewhat confused by the options listing on new cars for sale. Is the M button standard on new cars or is it only with the technology package? I have read that it is standard after sept build, but how do I know if it has it or not? The listings of course do not list the build date and they are not clear if it has the M button. A primary reason for the move is both the cab, but also more aggressive handling/shifting, etc and I love the concept of the M drive with DCT. I have have an elise, the rs4 and a boxster. Looking for a "daily driver" that does not have a top, has speed and handling, but doesn't look too flashy--the M3 pretty much seems to be the only choice that is not a Benz which I just don't care for.
Thanks all
The M button is standard now. The only variables are the options that you choose that will interact with the button such as EDC (Electronic Dampening Control) or ZCP (competition package)
      12-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
ajminn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

So if the M-button is standard but you don't select the competition package or EDC, then what does it do exactly? Anything?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
H2C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajminn View Post
So if the M-button is standard but you don't select the competition package or EDC, then what does it do exactly? Anything?
if i remember correctly, the M-button can still be used to set throttle response (Normal, Sport, or Sport Plus) and M Dynamic Mode for the stability-control system
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Have a look at the M3 supplemental manual, in particular page 21. It explains the M drive and all the performance elements of the car you can control with it. EDC is just one of the elements and it has to do with the cars suspension.

The manual does not say it directly, but if you do not order EDC (or the Competition package) on your car, the obvious conclusion, it seems to me, is that that's one performance element you will not have control over. I think if you do not order EDC, then your suspension would be fixed at whatever is considered "normal" by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
ajminn
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Excuse my ignorance, but would the throttle response/m-dynamic mode be adjustable via the m-button if one doesn't have I-drive? I'd think that you'd be able to, but I just wanted to double check with forum members. I'm starting to search for an E90 M3, and I want to figure out what options I really do and don't want before going to a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
macleod135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajminn View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but would the throttle response/m-dynamic mode be adjustable via the m-button if one doesn't have I-drive? I'd think that you'd be able to, but I just wanted to double check with forum members. I'm starting to search for an E90 M3, and I want to figure out what options I really do and don't want before going to a dealer.
Bump...

I really would like to know the answer to this too.
Appreciate 0