BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: AP, Brembo or StopTech. Post your reviews!
Brembo 26 42.62%
APracing 15 24.59%
StopTech 25 40.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

10-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
I went with Stoptech for the ease of changing pads.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

StopTech with Apex wheels is a very popular combo at track events.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #25
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
StopTech with Apex wheels is a very popular combo at track events.
I think it'll be a good combo. I'm not tracking that much and wouldn't be changing pads at a paddock so pad change isn't a huge concern. My biggest is, like I mentioned earlier, disc/pad wear and quality for long term daily use.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Replacement parts are WAY cheaper for ST too. The standard Streetsport pads work pretty well on the track too if you do a little more conservative braking. They also dust MUCH less than stock pads and have very good initial bite. And did I mention they only cost around $100/set?!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

chose stoptech on my m3 because replacement parts like rotors are cheaper and easier to find compared to brembo. brake pad shape of stoptechs are also very easily available in many different compounds/brands.

i bought the ST60 front calipers with 380mm rotors and ST40 rear calipers. the entire kit cost me about 1.5k less than the equivalent 380mm brembo kit.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #28
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

pad changes on the Brembo's is way overrated. takes maybe an extra 3-5 minutes tops. that's a minimal difference when you consider the other hassle of pad swaps (removing the wheels).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
chose stoptech on my m3 because replacement parts like rotors are cheaper and easier to find compared to brembo. brake pad shape of stoptechs are also very easily available in many different compounds/brands.

i bought the ST60 front calipers with 380mm rotors and ST40 rear calipers. the entire kit cost me about 1.5k less than the equivalent 380mm brembo kit.
This is a great point. StopTechs allow you to experiment with so many different pad brands and compounds.

I have the ST60 380mm front and ST40 355mm rear StopTech kit and love them. I put them on when the car had about 1100 miles on the clock, right before my first track event with it.

I've managed to make HPDE instructors nauseated with my threshold braking. (Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.)
      10-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #30
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
+1, but I never had a 2nd thought after my ST purchase. They're ridiculously good.
Same. Love my ST60's. Easy to change pads and the brakes work very well and don't overheat on track.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
sleepless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
pad changes on the Brembo's is way overrated. takes maybe an extra 3-5 minutes tops. that's a minimal difference when you consider the other hassle of pad swaps (removing the wheels).
It is not about the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Why do you want to get rid of the APs??
      10-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #33
rzm3
Rep

I've had both StopTech and Brembo on my car. I only have anecdotal experience with AP, so I will refrain from discussing it.

I think StopTech definitely offers the best value. Its bridge design is excellent for pad changes, but it could also be an issue if the fitment is not 100%. I've worked on cars where the bridge required some slight modifications. There are also other minor fitment issues I've experienced on StopTech, but StopTech in all cases responded and resolved these issues in a timely manner.

From my chat with a StopTech executive, they have been bringing in-house a lot of manufacturing processes that were previously outsourced. I think this is probably the source of some of their "hiccups."

My StopTech kit was on the track extensively and it held up extremely well. It also found a great new owner

Brembo, IMO, offers the best quality. In each Brembo box you will find a checklist where a human being physically verified that all the parts are correct based on the part numbers and present before shipment. I never saw this type of list from StopTech.

Operating cost... Brembo has always told me that their rotor, which costs more than StopTech, will last longer than StopTech. Unfortunately I don't have the time nor resources to verify this claim.

Pads... StopTech certainly has a wider (and cheaper) selection of brake pads. Brembo's aftermarket pads are more limited and more expensive (due to larger size and less production volume). Besides, what else do you need besides Pagid Yellows
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #34
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDZHAO View Post
I've had both StopTech and Brembo on my car. I only have anecdotal experience with AP, so I will refrain from discussing it.

I think StopTech definitely offers the best value. Its bridge design is excellent for pad changes, but it could also be an issue if the fitment is not 100%. I've worked on cars where the bridge required some slight modifications. There are also other minor fitment issues I've experienced on StopTech, but StopTech in all cases responded and resolved these issues in a timely manner.

From my chat with a StopTech executive, they have been bringing in-house a lot of manufacturing processes that were previously outsourced. I think this is probably the source of some of their "hiccups."

My StopTech kit was on the track extensively and it held up extremely well. It also found a great new owner

Brembo, IMO, offers the best quality. In each Brembo box you will find a checklist where a human being physically verified that all the parts are correct based on the part numbers and present before shipment. I never saw this type of list from StopTech.

Operating cost... Brembo has always told me that their rotor, which costs more than StopTech, will last longer than StopTech. Unfortunately I don't have the time nor resources to verify this claim.

Pads... StopTech certainly has a wider (and cheaper) selection of brake pads. Brembo's aftermarket pads are more limited and more expensive (due to larger size and less production volume). Besides, what else do you need besides Pagid Yellows
Thanks as usual for your real-world feedback. Were there any differences in overall performance and/or pedal feel between the stoptech and brembos?
ps, my Stoptech's have held up very well in my extensive track use.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #35
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the inputs fella's. Interesting to read your experiances. I like my AP's but I'm thinking of going with the StopTechs for the $ value and Pad choices.

Has anyone ever experianced after consistant hard use any disc warping from any of the kits? Shortend pad life, other problems?

RB
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
sleepless
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Thanks for the inputs fella's. Interesting to read your experiances. I like my AP's but I'm thinking of going with the StopTechs for the $ value and Pad choices.

Has anyone ever experianced after consistant hard use any disc warping from any of the kits? Shortend pad life, other problems?

RB
How can you come out ahead $-wise if by trading your AP's for StopTech or other kit? Also, AP is at the same quality level as Brembo (meaning better than StopTech).

Brembo and AP have the best disc materials (along with Alcon). StopTech and others are a step down from those three. This info is from one of the main racing systems suppliers/constructors in the US. There is a reason for the price difference between the various kits; you get what you pay for.

Having a hard time understanding your reasoning ??? Stick with the APs!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #37
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
How can you come out ahead $-wise if by trading your AP's for StopTech or other kit? Also, AP is at the same quality level as Brembo (meaning better than StopTech).

Brembo and AP have the best disc materials (along with Alcon). StopTech and others are a step down from those three. This info is from one of the main racing systems suppliers/constructors in the US. There is a reason for the price difference between the various kits; you get what you pay for.

Having a hard time understanding your reasoning ??? Stick with the APs!

uh, interesting. Seems more people picked Stoptech over AP and although I've only owned the AP's BBK so far, I think their very strong exept that I already went through one set of front rotors that warped within less than 3,000 miles of just street use and no track use. Run-out was far beyond limits.

Bed in was done per the instructions along with cooling. Plus I had to get the calipers/rear hats repainted by IND because of wheel cleaners completely etched the paint, which really ment the paint of the calipers did not meet up to general cleaning. Perhaps my fault, but so far I have not had favorable results. But to be honest, my OEM BMW brakes withstood numberous track days in England and three weekends at Nurburgring and the result was just some rough brake feel from pad transfer that eventualy went away and the discs never, ever cracked or warped. I installed this kit and its been a f*&kng headache and I haven't even put as much strain as a single track day on this kit and already gone through two discs. How does one explain that???

I didn't want to post anything negative yet but I guess I'm experiancing stuff others have too with various kits. I don't know?

So my reasoning is that I want brakes that won't warp under normal use, also that the finish won't eventualy peel off with wear as now my calipers are painted. Although IND did an awesome job IMO. But in the end so far, my AP BBK has cost me as much as a damn supercharger. That does not make me too happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #38
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

http://urgedesigns.com/brakes.html

Came across this today. Any one have experiance with URGE designs rotors?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #39
rzm3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Thanks as usual for your real-world feedback. Were there any differences in overall performance and/or pedal feel between the stoptech and brembos?
ps, my Stoptech's have held up very well in my extensive track use.
I would say that the overall feel is quite similar. And my seat of the pants feel is that the Brembos gave me more control and tend to lock up less than StopTech. But it could just be that the pad materials are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post

RB
I know many StopTech and Brembo owners for the E9X M3 who track regularly and non had such issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #40
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

So I'm in the same boat currently. I'm mulling over a few more options. I'll first start with my requirements:
  • Brakes that don't fade or overheat during a 20-30 minute HDPE session (beginner to intermediate, I'm a beginner now)
  • Easy to change pads
  • Wide pad selection
  • Fits the apex arc-8 wheel - I plan to get a square set-up
  • Reasonable cost. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay high dollars just to get a brand name. If the cost is justified then that's fine.

So I've been reading the brake forum here for a while and it seems opinions vary widely here. I plan to have street pads, and track pads. I also plan to upgrade the fluid as well in all scenarios. Most likely motul. I've narrowed it down to a few options:

For me I love driving fast, and I would just characterize myself as a casual weekend canyon carver, with the planned 4 or so (fingers crossed) HDPEs this year, and maybe a few Autoxes thrown in for Sh!ts and giggles. (Local tracks are Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunderhill)

To me it seems I can rule out #1 since I've seen a bunch of threads where guys have just upgraded the pads/rotors but still hit their limits at the track. Unless that's not true. Let me know.

Anyway any and all opinions are welcome.

I sorta wanted to start a new thread, but I figured adding my question here would suffice.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #41
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
So I'm in the same boat currently. I'm mulling over a few more options. I'll first start with my requirements:
  • Brakes that don't fade or overheat during a 20-30 minute HDPE session (beginner to intermediate, I'm a beginner now)
  • Easy to change pads
  • Wide pad selection
  • Fits the apex arc-8 wheel - I plan to get a square set-up
  • Reasonable cost. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay high dollars just to get a brand name. If the cost is justified then that's fine.

So I've been reading the brake forum here for a while and it seems opinions vary widely here. I plan to have street pads, and track pads. I also plan to upgrade the fluid as well in all scenarios. Most likely motul. I've narrowed it down to a few options:

For me I love driving fast, and I would just characterize myself as a casual weekend canyon carver, with the planned 4 or so (fingers crossed) HDPEs this year, and maybe a few Autoxes thrown in for Sh!ts and giggles. (Local tracks are Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunderhill)

To me it seems I can rule out #1 since I've seen a bunch of threads where guys have just upgraded the pads/rotors but still hit their limits at the track. Unless that's not true. Let me know.

Anyway any and all opinions are welcome.

I sorta wanted to start a new thread, but I figured adding my question here would suffice.

It has been so long since I originaly posted this I had forgot about it, plus I have not had the opportunity to look further into my brake options for a while. Honestly, now that AP came out with their new kit, I'm wanting to sell my AP BBK system and switch to these. I've got mixed feelings/experiances with the AP strap drive system and think this newer rotor system from AP might work well. Plus they look bad ass so a little bling factor here.

As per use and drivability, well I haven't driven on all the systems but it's all subject to individual uses and experiance. I'm sure any choice will be a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #42
isherdholi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

AP
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #43
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Ease of change of pads with Stoptech and lower replacement costs are usually the biggest advantages. Contact us for great deals on them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #44
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Just go with Brembo and pay the extra ~1.5k, you won't ever have to worry or think what If I spend a little more for better quality. Just my opinion, but from the looks of it, the people who have one of them love them and the people who have tried both prefer Brembo.
Appreciate 0