BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Need different way to wash car!

I recently had to move to a new apartment, and in my new place there's no facilities for a conventional hose and bucket wash. To me, that leaves me with two options for routine cleaning unless you guys have other suggestions.

First, I can take my car wash stuff to a self-serve car wash and clean the car there. The downsides to that are lack of shade and people getting ticked off at me bucket washing and taking so long to do so .

The other option I can think of is using a rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse. That's certainly more convenient, but having never used that method I don't know how well it'd work for regular washes. I'm particularly concerned with how well it'd work on all that BMW brake dust...

Not sure how costs would pan out. Thoughts are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
oldmarco
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Try finding those car washes that are in parking structures for nice office buildings. I have one near me and they charge me 15$ for an exterior only hand wash. I drop the the car off, go get lunch for an hour and come back and it's all been washed by hand since it's in an office parking garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
A third option could be a mobile service that comes to you and washes it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
A third option could be a mobile service that comes to you and washes it for you.
I thought you had to have a hose and space near a drain to use that sort of service. I know you're down in OC, but...any suggestions? I'm still leaning towards a do-it-myself options but am open.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMpwrd View Post
I thought you had to have a hose and space near a drain to use that sort of service. I know you're down in OC, but...any suggestions? I'm still leaning towards a do-it-myself options but am open.
Nah, most mobile services carry their own water. I don't have specific names to give you but maybe a google search could help you in your area.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have used Optimum No Rinse before. It works pretty good for low to medium level cleaning. I usually fill a pump sprayer with the solution at wash dilution and liberally spray the surface before wiping with a microfiber "muppet head" mitt in a wash bucket with ONR solution going panel by panel. The bucket only wash does cause some light marring in my experience. If your car is very dirty, I would not use ONR washing.

Chemical Guys out in SoCal has a Eco Wash wash system which looks decent. I have no experience with it though. Looks interesting.
http://www.chemicalguys.com/WATERLES...g_p/pow_01.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Do you have any friends that have a garage you can use?

Quote:
I recently had to move to a new apartment, and in my new place there's no facilities for a conventional hose and bucket wash. To me, that leaves me with two options for routine cleaning unless you guys have other suggestions.

First, I can take my car wash stuff to a self-serve car wash and clean the car there. The downsides to that are lack of shade and people getting ticked off at me bucket washing and taking so long to do so .

The other option I can think of is using a rinseless wash like Optimum No Rinse. That's certainly more convenient, but having never used that method I don't know how well it'd work for regular washes. I'm particularly concerned with how well it'd work on all that BMW brake dust...

Not sure how costs would pan out. Thoughts are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
Do you have any friends that have a garage you can use?
Good thought, but....no .
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Chemical Guys out in SoCal has a Eco Wash wash system which looks decent. I have no experience with it though. Looks interesting.
That's an interesting wash system. Wonder if anyone here has experience with it....
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
That's an interesting wash system. Wonder if anyone here has experience with it....
Well, you are down in the area, go check them out! You can probably get a sample or ask them to demo it for you.

I usually try to drop by the Chemical Guys warehouse for detailing supplies when I am down in the area. Some stuff they sell is good, other things are just so-so.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
i think it works but like Z said go and have them demo it for you. i've read good things about it
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I have used Optimum No Rinse before. It works pretty good for low to medium level cleaning. I usually fill a pump sprayer with the solution at wash dilution and liberally spray the surface before wiping with a microfiber "muppet head" mitt in a wash bucket with ONR solution going panel by panel. The bucket only wash does cause some light marring in my experience. If your car is very dirty, I would not use ONR washing.

I attended a local meet at the Chemical Guys shop in Los Angeles and attended a DIY detail seminar there as well.

The waterless system would seem to fit your needs perfectly. The POD system is great if you want to spend some dough and/or want to start a business. However, you can purchsase the Eco Smart by the gallon and apply it with a regular hand spray bottle.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Good thought, but....no .
Then waterless wash sounds like your only alternative. Let me know if you want to stop by Chemical Guys, I can guide you through the waterless wash.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

Looks interesting. I'm also in the same position at my apartment complex.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:14 AM   #15
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Then waterless wash sounds like your only alternative. Let me know if you want to stop by Chemical Guys, I can guide you through the waterless wash.
I exchanged emails with Dee at CG and plan to stop by next week....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
aray
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP 6MT MG/AB

I don't have experience with the CG rinseless/waterless but I do with other products such as ONR. All I can say is "do it". Rinseless washes are great. Often I opt for rinseless washs even when I have a water source available.

They're not expensive, the ONR concentrate goes a long way. I'm sure the CG product does too.

As far as fighting BMW brake dust, the performance should be the same as regular car soap. If you have a good sealant on the weeks, it will come off no problem with soap. If you don't, and you've let it build up, use a dedicated wheel cleaner, then apply sealant. You'll probably want to use wheel cleaner when you're at the self serve, since most wheel cleaners like to be rinsed.

Check out the Garry Dean wash method on you tube, I prefer it over a two bucket setup.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
Bulb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

I'm in the same boat as the OP, and this thread is quite enlightening.
There seems to be a lot of disdain for even touchless wash places, so it looks like onr or ecosmart is the way to go.

Does anyone have experience with using this
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Waterles.../wac_707ru.htm
and
http://www.chemicalguys.com/FULL_FUN..._p/acc_117.htm

together to wash the car?
It claims to be able to tackle the grimier cars (unlike ONR), and it seems cheap enough. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I always just went to one of those car wash places where you can spray your own car and took my bucket and stuff. I think there was only like two times that people came to me and said, "Hey no hand washing here." I tried to only do it when no one else was really around, so most of the time people working there didn't care.
      09-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
waterless wash like this scares the crap out of me
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Ideally, none of us would ever go waterless. The primary benefit of washing with water is that you can blast dirt off of your paint without compressing dirt against the finish. You lose that with waterless obviously. With that said, waterless can be done properly with the right technique and tools so that swirling or marring is largely avoided.

The two CG products you linked to are great, I've tested them many times over the years and if you use them as advised, you won't cause any damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulb View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP, and this thread is quite enlightening.
There seems to be a lot of disdain for even touchless wash places, so it looks like onr or ecosmart is the way to go.

Does anyone have experience with using this
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Waterles.../wac_707ru.htm
and
http://www.chemicalguys.com/FULL_FUN..._p/acc_117.htm

together to wash the car?
It claims to be able to tackle the grimier cars (unlike ONR), and it seems cheap enough. What do you guys think?
If you guys would like, I can make a video going into the process of using CG Waterless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
waterless wash like this scares the crap out of me

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 09-04-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Just find one of the self serve places with pressure washers. It's rare that I ever need to scrub anything with a pressure washer. If I do need to I just do it while the timer for the wash is still running. You paid for the time so who cares? I've only had to use a mitt after a track day to remove rubber.

By me I can get a great wash done with about $5. I enjoy the time spent as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
Bulb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 M3 Sedan

Quote:
If you guys would like, I can make a video going into the process of using CG Waterless.
That would be awesome!!
Appreciate 0