BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT

This place gave me 30 minutes of my life back... per week!

Maybe I'm the last guy in the whole world that has known this, so if it's an absolute common knowledge, I apologize....

Who said the intarweb is the new idiot box? I've been washing my car almost weekly for near 7 years now, and only now I learn about how you can use running water to dry your car, and I learned it right here.

"Using water to dry your car? Wha? I gotta try that!" So, today, I did.

After spraying the car, there are millions of water droplets, which stays on the car until you wipe them down. It's a lot of water, so for just the hood I probably had to wring the towel out 3 times....

Then, I removed the nozzle, letting water just flow out of the hose, put the water flow on top of the various flat surfaces, and just let the water run down. The results....

Now just one towel is good enough for the whole car, no wringing necessary.

Once again, I apologize if everybody else has known this ever since they started washing cars. It's a bit of a revelation to me, and cut my car washing time by at least 30 minutes.

Ahh, the power of internet!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

You're shittin' me! Never tried it because I always have the sprayer on the hose. You just saved me a ton of time!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Bdez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez & Fox & X5 3.0d

Not only does it save time it cuts the amount of drying towel contact – which can only help with swirls and marring – try the pat dry method to further reduce swirls.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great tip. I use one of these. Might be even better in combination with your tip. By the way the soft silicone blades are perfectly paint/clear coat safe, provided the car is clean.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Get a water de-ionizer like the ones offered from CR Spotless and you'll be even more impressed! I often follow up by using an electric leaf blower to dry it further and get all the water from the cracks and crevices.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Snother possibly unknown tip that saves time/effort. When drying with a towel, dont fold it up and wipe normally. Let it go out flat across the bonnet or roof, like you were laying down a bed sheet. Then drag from two corners keeping as much surface area intact as possible, drag slowly. I can generally make it work on the side panels too because the water makes it "stick/" Works awesome!

Also, make sure its a old big towel with no fabric softner applied.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I tried this today and it worked great. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I only used one microfiber and it was barely even wet after. Thanks for the tip
      06-04-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Great tip. I use one of these. Might be even better in combination with your tip. By the way the soft silicone blades are perfectly paint/clear coat safe, provided the car is clean.
I wouldn't use one of those if somebody paid me to. So many things can go wrong with something like that. I've been doing the water sheeting technique for about 5 years now and it really does cut down on the amount of water remaining on the car. It also gives you a good idea of the condition of your current coat of wax. If the water doesn't sheet well, it's time for another coat.
      06-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

it wastes water though not so environmentally friendly haha I like Swamp2's idea that's what I use as well
      06-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Get a water de-ionizer like the ones offered from CR Spotless and you'll be even more impressed! I often follow up by using an electric leaf blower to dry it further and get all the water from the cracks and crevices.
. The investment in the CR spotless system is much more upfront, but in combination with a Ryobi lithium ion battery blower system, this setup is mint.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I wouldn't use one of those if somebody paid me to. So many things can go wrong with something like that. I've been doing the water sheeting technique for about 5 years now and it really does cut down on the amount of water remaining on the car. It also gives you a good idea of the condition of your current coat of wax. If the water doesn't sheet well, it's time for another coat.
+1 I got scratches because of that blade used by one of the guys i went to get a carwash from.

I am never using that ever again!
Appreciate 0