BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

09-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
IRMthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

AW owners: clear bra on the hood

For any Alpine White owners that have clear bra on the hood

- do you have full hood covered?
- if you have partial coverage, how visible is the film line, especially when it gets dirty?
- if you have had clear bra for some time, how as the film aged over time? Any yellowing or miscoloring when comparing the covered AW paint to uncovered parts?

For reference, I already have my front bumper covered, but debating the hood, since its such a huge panel and worried about the hood's film aging and extra maintenance needed to keep the film clean.

thanks!
      09-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Brian_Fantana
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Alpine white E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
I have my full front end covered in ventureshield. It wasn't the greatest install, but with proper maintenance it's staying fairly clear. Looks seamless from a distance though. I watched a video done by ammonyc pretty informative. I have also applied Wolfgang 3.0 sealant followed by Wolf chemicals shine and seal and topped it with wolf chemicals hardbody. It beads like you wouldn't believe.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have a 1/3 front only on my alpine white X3...

The line is pretty visible if you look for it. Most of the time I don't notice it because I don't care. If it's dirty it's more visible since dirt will accumulate at the edge.

It's been there 2 years now. It started yellowing a little a month after I had it, but hasn't gotten much worse.

I did not clear bra the M3 thinking I would drive the X3 more and also to rougher areas. I used to snowboard a lot so I thought I would be up in the mountains a lot. Along came the baby and my snowchains haven't seen any snow since.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I have Xpel on the M3 ever since march of this year. I detail it with Chemical Guys Clear Seal detailer everytime I wash the car. The line is visible if you are looking for it otherwise hardly visible. Since Xpel is self healing and has clear coat built into it... It has been scratch free and as clear as day one

My other two cars are a white VW CC and a white FJ cruiser with either venture shield or 3m on them... Scratches in those show, it's not as clear, and it has clouded/ yellowed a little. Might be due to the fact that I was using Protect All or Plexus on it which was originally recommended by the installer. Turns out the petroleum ingredients in those products will start to stain the clear bra after a while.

I was able to correct those using clay and chemical guys V36 followed by M-Seal and now regularly detail it with chemical guys clear seal detailer. The correction using an orbital polisher took care of the haze, scratches/ swirls, and took off the yellowing... It's much more clear but still not as good as the Xpel
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
IRMthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

thanks for the input guys