BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

10-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
CUD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Front PDC Installation - Please help!!!

Hey guys,

I am trying to find some more answers in regards to the front pdc install. I spent about 2 weeks to sort things out and I am slowly getting the entire picture.

I would need some help from the people that have done the installation already.

I got the part numbers for the retrofit Kit, the PDC Module. However, I do not find the part number for the center console swith as well as the part numbers for the front sensors (white).

Is there anyone that can help me with supplying the part numbers.

Also, in the Retrofiting kit it mentions the cable that goes from the front all the the way back to the trunk for the PDC module. Is this data cable included in the retrofiting kit?

I know these are specific questions, but it would help me tremendously if someone can reply to my post that has done it and is familiar with what I am writing.

Thanks a lot guys and keep the posts on coming

P.S This post is really about the installation experience and not if it is worth the money and time. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

I WANT FRONT PDC!!! I hate that our cars dont have this. If you figure this out then please let me know what it cost you. My M3 is still on order but I am already dreading life without front PDC. My parking spot at work has a huge wheel stop that I always hit no-matter how careful I am.
      10-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
CUD
Private
United_States
Rep

I will keep you posted. There are many ways to do it but I am trying to find a way how to do it right but as cheap as possible.

Well congratulations on your order and we will stay in touch.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

why is the need for PDC?? seriously
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
CUD
Private
United_States
Rep

Because I really loved it on my old 335i. It works well and I kind of miss it because i always have to stop and look how far away i am from the wall, the border etc when I am driving away from home. At home is one thing. Also, I have a european bumper which has the PDC wholes, so I guess i might as well do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUD View Post
Because I really loved it on my old 335i. It works well and I kind of miss it because i always have to stop and look how far away i am from the wall, the border etc when I am driving away from home. At home is one thing. Also, I have a european bumper which has the PDC wholes, so I guess i might as well do it.
How did you get a euro bumper with PDC holes?
      10-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Rear PDC I understand. Front? If you can't tell where the front of your car is while looking at it you shouldn't be driving. When in doubt, stop short. It's that insane need to keep inching forward that will burn you.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Rear PDC I understand. Front? If you can't tell where the front of your car is while looking at it you shouldn't be driving. When in doubt, stop short. It's that insane need to keep inching forward that will burn you.
I love having front PDC when dealing with curbs or pulling into my garage. I never have to worry about scraping the underside of the front bumper and can get the car right up against the wall in the garage every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

In your garage you can hang a tennis ball or use one of the many commercial parking blocks among many other options. And all of them are worlds less expensive than retrofitting front PDC. Again, with curbs, just don't pull in that far. It's not that hard to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I love having front PDC when dealing with curbs or pulling into my garage. I never have to worry about scraping the underside of the front bumper and can get the car right up against the wall in the garage every time.
How did you do it?
      10-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I think Fstop7 and I have some good experience with this, as we both went from M3 to M6. The M6 has front PDC, and I didn't care much for it when I first got the car, but now...after 3-4 months of ownership I have really come to appreciate having it. It makes life easier, you don't NEED it. But its certainly nice to have. It lets you know when you are close to a parking curb in any parking spot too (which is a huge help especially when your lowered).
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
How did you do it?

He has an M6. Not an M3.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I suggest getting one of the front/rear cam set-ups. It's much cheaper than front pdc and gives you more information. I got mine from Alekshop and it works great. You also get a video input.

I would agree that you can live without it. However, if you park in places that are somewhat tight on space - which is often the case in big cities, it's a lot easier to make sure that you don't scrape the bottom of the bumper.

As others have said, nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I wish I had front pdc. Because people park anywhere on the side of the road here, trying to navigate some of the back alleyways in Korea is insane. You're literally a couple centimeters away from hitting a car sometimes and the bulge on the hood certainly doesn't help visibility. Having front PDC would help alot.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUD View Post
Hey guys,

I am trying to find some more answers in regards to the front pdc install. I spent about 2 weeks to sort things out and I am slowly getting the entire picture.

I would need some help from the people that have done the installation already.

I got the part numbers for the retrofit Kit, the PDC Module. However, I do not find the part number for the center console swith as well as the part numbers for the front sensors (white).

Is there anyone that can help me with supplying the part numbers.

Also, in the Retrofiting kit it mentions the cable that goes from the front all the the way back to the trunk for the PDC module. Is this data cable included in the retrofiting kit?

I know these are specific questions, but it would help me tremendously if someone can reply to my post that has done it and is familiar with what I am writing.

Thanks a lot guys and keep the posts on coming

P.S This post is really about the installation experience and not if it is worth the money and time. Thanks
I will be glad to help you with your project. I have the Front Retrofit PDC kit (harness and all the connectors) here at the shop. We can take a look and see what you have and maybe put it all together. I believe the sensors need to be painted and I can find the part number for the center console switch.

Your car also needs to be coded for that option and we can do it here at the shop.

Feel free to PM me or send me an e-mail ( info@alekshop.com ).

Aleks.
Appreciate 0