BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Pulley Belt Sizes??

Hey all, just recently acquired a TMS pulley (used) and the seller says it is for cars built after the 5/2008 date. I am out of town for a long time (internship) and have not been able to check the production date on my door jamb on my car at home. With that being said, the seller is providing two belts, but my question is, what are the part numbers are for each particular belt--for either the later build or earlier build? Just in case I want to buy both types of belts so when it comes time to get it installed, the belt that is not being used I can simply just return or sell. Thanks!

My car is a 2008 6 speed, build date unknown at the moment.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Comes with two belts since it replaces the crank pulley which has two different belts that run on it. I would call Turner for the belt info.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

TMS PULLEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Comes with two belts since it replaces the crank pulley which has two different belts that run on it. I would call Turner for the belt info.
But would all pulleys be the same, minus the fact that the belts would be different? Basically, the only difference between the prior 5/08 builds and after that are the belts, correct?

Pics of pulley I acquired:

2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
But would all pulleys be the same, minus the fact that the belts would be different? Basically, the only difference between the prior 5/08 builds and after that are the belts, correct?
Unfortunately, I cannot answer that. You'd have to call Turner to confirm. Should be a 15 sec phone call.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot answer that. You'd have to call Turner to confirm. Should be a 15 sec phone call.
It looks the same as every other aftermarket pulley for the E92 M3
This is what they said in an email:
Mike,

For the factory pulleys, yes, they are the same. However, for the aftermarket (TMS) pulleys, the pulleys are quite different, for several reasons. One being the power steering pump RPM on later cars must maintain a minimum to avoid a CEL and the belt routing on the early/later cars is quite different, requiring a different pulley design.

The early kit takes a 6PK1040 belt.
The late kit takes a 6PK1440.

Thanks.

-Doug

Does this make sense or am I missing something here? I was told all pulleys (usually all of them) were the same for the aftermarket because there are only so many ways you can do it. I did my research and it seems only the BELTS were different.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It looks the same as every other aftermarket pulley for the E92 M3
This is what they said in an email:
Mike,

For the factory pulleys, yes, they are the same. However, for the aftermarket (TMS) pulleys, the pulleys are quite different, for several reasons. One being the power steering pump RPM on later cars must maintain a minimum to avoid a CEL and the belt routing on the early/later cars is quite different, requiring a different pulley design.

The late kit takes a 6PK1440.

Thanks.

-Doug

Does this make sense or am I missing something here? I was told all pulleys (usually all of them) were the same for the aftermarket because there are only so many ways you can do it. I did my research and it seems only the BELTS were different.
Well I know that not to be true since TMS only sells a single pulley kit while other companies sell two pulleys in a kit. So obviously there are gonna differences in belts from company to company as well as pulleys.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I know that not to be true since TMS only sells a single pulley kit while other companies sell two pulleys in a kit. So obviously there are gonna differences in belts from company to company as well as pulleys.
I figured that, but according to the TMS website, if you view their pulley for the underdrive pulley it says:
(1) Underdrive Crank Pulley
(1) Correctly sized Drive Belt
(when you select what year, transmission you have, only the DCT tranny or 6MT have a different number, if it even does.)

Which leads me to believe its all the same?

Sorry for all the questions, Tech, because the way TMS states it in their email and on their website, there is no difference between the 5/08 before and after pulley, but just the difference in the belt sizes or type. All the pulleys have grooves in them, and I know the differences are either that the belt is flat or grooved.

Again, so very appreciative of your help.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I figured that, but according to the TMS website, if you view their pulley for the underdrive pulley it says:
(1) Underdrive Crank Pulley
(1) Correctly sized Drive Belt
(when you select what year, transmission you have, only the DCT tranny or 6MT have a different number, if it even does.)

Which leads me to believe its all the same?

Sorry for all the questions, Tech, because the way TMS states it in their email and on their website, there is no difference between the 5/08 before and after pulley, but just the difference in the belt sizes or type. All the pulleys have grooves in them, and I know the differences are either that the belt is flat or grooved.

Again, so very appreciative of your help.

Mike
I understand your frustration. I would just call Doug and talk to him about it. I assume he can clarify things easily.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3

Pics of pulley I acquired:

Yes the pulleys are the same for each brand. Ex: AA pulley is the same for the entire model production only the belts have been changed. I suggest calling tms to find out the belt sizes they use. Also it wasnt so much as a difference in belt size but a difference in belt itself. Older models have single sided belts while newer models have double sided belts

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
Yes the pulleys are the same for each brand. Ex: AA pulley is the same for the entire model production only the belts have been changed
You 100% on that?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes the pulleys are the same for each brand. Ex: AA pulley is the same for the entire model production only the belts have been changed
Thanks so much!!! I knew all pulleys were virtually identical. The only thing I need to figure out is which belt(s) I need, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
You 100% on that?
Yea i spoke with AA when i installed mine they said it was a belt change not pulley change

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks so much!!! I knew all pulleys were virtually identical. The only thing I need to figure out is which belt(s) I need, correct?
Basically. I believe the only pulley system that is different is MS and dinan. Ms comes with 2 pulleys and dinan has the smallest pulley. Just call them and ask them the belt size. I forgot what mine were off the top of my head

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Basically. I believe the only pulley system that is different is MS and dinan. Ms comes with 2 pulleys and dinan has the smallest pulley. Just call them and ask them the belt size. I forgot what mine were off the top of my head
TMS said this:

The late kit takes a 6PK1440
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
TMS said this:

The late kit takes a 6PK1440
You're missing a belt. Its 2 belts you have to replace not 1

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're missing a belt. Its 2 belts you have to replace not 1
Those are the only two numbers he gave me.

I called and he said those are the only two belt sizes they have listed....

I wish it was easier. ugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

I dont think the two belts are the same size which is basically what he's implying.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I dont think the two belts are the same size which is basically what he's implying.
Oh I know, Im just more concered with what are the EXACT belts I need in order for me to throw this pulley on without any problems. I just wish I knew. I have two belts from the pulley but am unsure what belt is for what..will post pics later.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

The shorter one goes on the left side. The longer one goes through loops and what not

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #20
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The shorter one goes on the left side. The longer one goes through loops and what not

Hm. If i brought my car to the dealer or a reputable independent that specializes in BMW's would they be able to know what belt size(s) if I need. Cause my dillemma with the having these two belts is that I am not sure if they are made for a pre 5/2008 or after, if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hm. If i brought my car to the dealer or a reputable independent that specializes in BMW's would they be able to know what belt size(s) if I need. Cause my dillemma with the having these two belts is that I am not sure if they are made for a pre 5/2008 or after, if you know what I mean.
One belt is longer and one is smaller. However, are any of the belts interchangeable, for example is the longer belt used with all basic aftermarket pulleys on this car, or is the shorter one always used, etc. This is all new to me, obviously, and I just want to know if there is one single belt that is basically "universal" to all the aftermarket underdrive pulleys for the E92 M3.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
One belt is longer and one is smaller. However, are any of the belts interchangeable, for example is the longer belt used with all basic aftermarket pulleys on this car, or is the shorter one always used, etc. This is all new to me, obviously, and I just want to know if there is one single belt that is basically "universal" to all the aftermarket underdrive pulleys for the E92 M3.

Thanks!
Ok heres a full break down. A pulley is smaller than the OEM pulley. Going to the dealer will get you nowhere as they have no idea what size belts you would need in order fit your new aftermarket pulley. If you can verify that AA has the same size pulley then i can find out the belt sizes like that.

The only difference between the years is the belt and by belt i don't mean size. I mean 08 is single sided ridges and 09 plus is double sided ridge. the easy way to do this is look under the hood if you see ridges then it is double sided. It is my assumption that you are not near the car. So PM someone from AA and they will tell you the belt sizes they use.

Appreciate 0