BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #67
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

On my evo I had an Australian tune that I was able to load and modify myself or any tuner and in that tune I turned off rear o2 and set rediness monitors to pass. That car passed obd inspection for years. You could even clear a code and plug it right in for a sticker and it would pass. It's a huge fine if u get caught though so I can see tuners not sending that out to customers if they have figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #68
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Did you figure anything out? If it worked for a year I wonder if clearing it periodically would allow you to pass with a couple of tries. The car would have to be warm and driven for a while since the last clear.

There's someone in another thread claiming that he can go without a cel most of the time with this type of setup. Just has to clear it periodically.

Ontario laws I hear are changing to 0 not-ready, like in Cali.
never figured it out. just paid $$$ to pass..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciges View Post
I have Rogue test pipes and O2 sensor spacers with built in catalyst(regular spacers don't work),no check engine light on for 6 months and all monitors are set with stock tune.They are around $50 on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-Oxygen-C...item3af9d816a9
nice. surprised this worked for you. for $50 it's worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It is so annoying tuners don't want to give us the good stuff

We all know they can make the secondary O2 sensors disappear altogether...

It's depressing
yup, they can easily force the readiness with software but won't give it to us
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      03-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #69
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It is so annoying tuners don't want to give us the good stuff

We all know they can make the secondary O2 sensors disappear altogether...

It's depressing
+1
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      03-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #70
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB SLICKTOP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatcas View Post
So you used the Rogue test pipes O2 sensor location and just set these in between them?
Yes they go in test pipe location for secondary O2 sensor.If you need to pass smog inspection run stock tune or performance tune with secondary O2 sensors enabled.
      03-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #71
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
I didn't know these existed. Great idea. Is that the actual set you run on your car? There is enough room for the straight ones to fit?
They are the ones that I have on my car.It is tight fit,you have to move trans shield around little bit, but not hard to install.
Attached Images

04-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #72
EnderG60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 / 2012 M3

Quote:
I didn't know these existed. Great idea. Is that the actual set you run on your car? There is enough room for the straight ones to fit?
Dont buy those. I tired O2 extenders as well, they may work for a time but after 6-9 months they will still throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #73
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderG60 View Post
Quote:
Dont buy those. I tired O2 extenders as well, they may work for a time but after 6-9 months they will still throw a code.
Yes but the question is whether you can clear it and go another 6-9 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 12:11 PM   #74
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
If they worked for 9 months that's great . I would buy another set and install them again and run another 9 months and so on. Still much cheaper than buying a tune.

To my understanding that spacers don't work and usually they will throw a CEL just after complete cycle which can take couple of days but not 6 to 9 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #75
EnderG60
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can, but it can take months for the car to complete a full o2 test cycle so it will take that long for system readiness which is what will fail you at emissions.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #76
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes you can, but it can take months for the car to complete a full o2 test cycle so it will take that long for system readiness which is what will fail you at emissions.
It took 2 days of normal driving ,about 20 miles, to set all monitors except evap which can take couple more days to set.Most smog/emission inspections will pass you if one monitor in not set.I have spacers with test pipes for over 6 months,no check engine light,no pending codes and all monitors are ready.
      04-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #77
EnderG60
Private First Class
Rep

If you actually read the thread, I used spacers. Those J tubes I put on. How long it takes to go though the O2 cycle depends on your driving style and where you are. It took my car nearly a year to finally get enough dirty air to a sensor to throw a code.

They are temporary fixes, not actual ones. If youre fine with clearing codes every few months thats fine. I prefer to do things the right way where I wont have to deal with it later.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #78
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you actually read the thread, I used spacers. Those J tubes I put on. How long it takes to go though the O2 cycle depends on your driving style and where you are. It took my car nearly a year to finally get enough dirty air to a sensor to throw a code.

They are temporary fixes, not actual ones. If youre fine with clearing codes every few months thats fine. I prefer to do things the right way where I wont have to deal with it later.
What's the right way if you live in a province/state where all sensors must be ready for emissions to pass?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #79
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you actually read my posts,I said that regular spacers and your j tubes do not work,I tried them all.Only one that works is with built in catalyst that burns HC and CO.Don't care if it throws code once a year as long as I can pass emission inspection without swapping stock exhaust every year.
      04-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #80
EnderG60
Private First Class
Rep

Good luck. As someone who wasted a decent amount of money messing with this only to give up, do it right the first time, or do it twice. But if you dont want to learn from my mistake, have fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #81
EnderG60
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What's the right way if you live in a province/state where all sensors must be ready for emissions to pass?
Stay stock, or get a tune that has secondary o2 sensor readiness. No tuner will say they do it, only Evolve said they do but it took over a month to do the O2 cycle so I still didnt pass emissions in time.

Your choices are stay stock, swap parts for emissions or get a tune that takes care of it(and its not a sure thing)

When you have to wait up to a year to find out it doesnt work, its a huge PINA. Im an engineer, if I do something I dont want to mess with it again which is why I gave up.

The whole point of this thread was to try and save money, and it became testimony to why you should just leave it be or spend the money and do it right with a tune. But like me, most people will be stubborn until they figure it out for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #82
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Stay stock, or get a tune that has secondary o2 sensor readiness. No tuner will say they do it, only Evolve said they do but it took over a month to do the O2 cycle so I still didnt pass emissions in time.

Your choices are stay stock, swap parts for emissions or get a tune that takes care of it(and its not a sure thing)

When you have to wait up to a year to find out it doesnt work, its a huge PINA. Im an engineer, if I do something I dont want to mess with it again which is why I gave up.

The whole point of this thread was to try and save money, and it became testimony to why you should just leave it be or spend the money and do it right with a tune. But like me, most people will be stubborn until they figure it out for themselves.
I'm cool with a tune if it actually shows both as ready. Personally I don't believe this exists.

Also, clearing codes a couple of times a year is fine with me also.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #83
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

If you actually read my posts,I said that regular spacers and your j tubes do not work,I tried them all.Only one that works is with built in catalyst that burns HC and CO.Don't care if it throws code once a year as long as I can pass emission inspection without swapping stock exhaust every year.
Do you have a product link?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #84
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-Oxygen-C...item3af9d816a9
      04-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #85
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

Quote:
Quote:
i have a set off ebay brand new i purchased but never got to use if anyone wants it cheap.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #86
Hoosier_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I just bought some 90 degree spacers with mini cats - getting them installed Friday, will report back as to whether they work. Link below for anyone that is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/LEDAUT-Degree...70_&dpSrc=srch
Appreciate 0